PDA

View Full Version : A New Twist for A New Thread

Bill Stevener
11-09-2005, 5:01 PM
Hi All,
Well still venturing into ideas for what to do with all of the scrap (left-overs) pcs. of wood. Gerri is into crocheting, so I researched the subject of the hooks for the same. Very interesting, there is only several thousands of an inch between sizes, close tolerance work, but fun. First two ever turned, one is Ebony and the other is Bloodwood, each about 7.5" long. Gerri said they work great, so I guess that's all that counts.

I had better get off this thing, as I just returned from the doc. and had one of those senior, lower, lets take a look in side things preformed. Everything went well, and the doc. said everything is just fine, however, at this moment I still remain in some what of a catatonic stupor.

Tried some photos, lets see how they came out????????
Thanks for looking,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
11-09-2005, 5:44 PM
Very pretty Bill!! I've heard that there is a specialized (and rather high-priced) market for these. They are very attractive...Great idea.;)

Mark Cothren
11-09-2005, 5:46 PM
Excellent work! Great looking - and they work good, too! :D

Thanks for the pictures!

Loy Hawes
11-09-2005, 5:59 PM
Beautiful hooks Bill! Butt, a little too much information on the Dr. thing! :D

Jim Becker
11-09-2005, 6:41 PM
Those are very kewel, Bill. And I agree with John...'could be a nice tool fund item!

Jim Ketron
11-09-2005, 6:48 PM
Nice Looking knitting needles Bill!
great job!

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-09-2005, 8:15 PM
Very nice Chrochet Hooks.

Very demanding.........Getting them the exact size necessary.

Good Job, Bill

Bruce

Matthew Poeller
11-09-2005, 8:33 PM
Those are really cool. Nice work. My mother crochets a great deal. If you don't mind can you please point me in the right direction for some of the information that you found.

Also, How exactly did you put the actually hooks in there.

Matt

Bill Stevener
11-09-2005, 9:52 PM
Hi Gang,
Thanks for the kind words.
John, and Jim, I would rather guess they are a speciality item, one does not see them very often. With the limited research I did via. Google, I found prices to range from $13-20 ea.

Mat, the hooks are hand crafted using a very fine saw and small files. The end of the hook is turned to shape, before parting off. The design portion is about 3/8" diam., for about half the length of the hook and is at your discretion at the time of the turning. I found you just look at it and say, well lets put something hear and something there, not a lot you can do. I sanded them to 1500 G., do not use steel wool, as it will pull the grain. No finish, as Ebony and the Bloodwood has its own great natural finish.
On a final note, you should have an accurate caliper that reflects in thousands. Most of all practice, practice, practice your under and over hand support of the work, when turning with the skew in the other hand.

Hear is a web page I found which has the sizes listed, and tons of info. and photos of hooks. This man and his wife are great, he has turned 10s of thousands, I guess he has it down pat.

www.turn-of-the-century.com/knitsize.htm (http://www.turn-of-the-century.com/knitsize.htm)

I cut a bunch of blanks, I know when Gerri shows her friends, they will all be asking for one. Thanks again for looking,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Dick Parr
11-10-2005, 7:38 PM
Beautiful work Bill! Those look great.