PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy impregnated woods/materials

Bill Serino
01-24-2018, 8:16 AM
Cutting, milling, sanding and drilling through epoxy impregnated woods or other materials such as stacked cloth. What can you tell me?

Wayne Lomman
01-24-2018, 9:25 PM
It will be somewhat abrasive so use carbide tooling for all the operations. Use feed rates and cutter speeds that keep the temperature under control. Unless you have a specific heat resistant epoxy, it will be heat affected above 120C. Sanding dust will be irritant, especially after extended exposure, so use good dust extraction and be prepared to wear a respirator of some kind if necessary. High tooth count saw blades are best. The material can be brittle so low tooth count blades can cause shattering. Stacked cloth doesn't always machine flat when the cut crosses layers at a shallow angle unless the stack is well impregnated. All the usual carbide high speed milling and router cutters will work well. You will have to sort out which specific ones do your job the best. What's the job? Cheers

Bill Serino
01-24-2018, 10:39 PM
A set of bobtail 1911 grips.

I’ve not worked them with anything but solid woods. I’m not sure I want to do it. Afraid it will mess up. Don’t want to screw it up if all he has is enough for 1 set. I’m pretty good but...

It’s just an epoxy impregnated wood.