PDA

View Full Version : Penn State Or Harbour Freight

Ivan Shuliak
01-23-2018, 2:09 PM
Hi,
After setting up a vent to outside using only one inline blower for 2 machines I now understand that I should have chosen a proper dust extractor as although the current blower is a good 10" one Vent-Axia ACM 250 the air flow ok but the pressure is absolutely not enough.
I know there been a lot of discussions about this here but what is the main difference between
Penn State and Harbour Freight? Pen State is almost twice as expensive.
I can't find anything decent in the UK so would need to import one from the US. Don't want to make a wrong decision.
Should I go for 1.5hp or 2hp model?
Currently having Fusion M2 32 and Zing 16.
Distance from the extractor (will be wall mounted) to the fusion will be about 2 meters and to Zing further 2 meters.
Not very concerned about the noice as I will put it inside the soundproof box.
Just want to have a very good suction to have sheet materials flat on the table and to avoid odour from acrylic and wood going into a workshop
Thank you!

Keith Outten
01-23-2018, 2:39 PM
I purchased the Harbor Freight one hp DC for a laser engraver at Christopher Newport University and the 2hp one for their CNC router. Both worked well, but I vented the laser directly out the wall in back of the laser using a short hose. The CNC router DC did not use bags or filters, we connected the exhaust side directly to a chip box outside.

Chuck Phillips
01-25-2018, 7:55 AM
We have used both HF and Penn State blowers. The Penn State blowers are much better in my experience. They are quieter and deliver much more air. We have both the 1.5 and the 2 hp units. The 2 hp is preferred. Warped sheets are often drawn flat against the cutting grid. We cut acrylic all day with minimal smell in the shop.

Ivan Shuliak
01-26-2018, 7:52 AM
Thank you, guys!
I've come across Fox 2hp Dust Extractor – F50-842 in the UK.
They claim it to have induction motor and to be a heavy duty machine (doesn't require a cool down period every 2 hours) so decided to order it and give it a try.
They say it is nearly 1490CFM vs 1350 Pen State one but... that's just the numbers. I'm more concerned about static pressure which they don't provide as well as impeller diameter.
Hopefully will get it today and install over the weekend (want to make a soundproof enclosure and mount it on the wall.
Will give a feedback then.

Dave Sheldrake
01-30-2018, 10:50 AM
Tray MachineMart Ivan, they do the same extractor without the bag system a lot cheaper

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cde35b-dust-collector/

I use two of these on open bed flatbed machines and they work well