PDA

View Full Version : New to the site and looking for some help designing a cutout Monogram font

David DiPietro
01-22-2018, 4:06 PM
Hi group...
I am new to the site and was looking for some help or insight on how to create a cutout graphic that would be lasered out into acrylic.
The image shown represents a solid material, acrylic. The red area is what should remain and the white would be the cut outs.
I am not sure if there is a particular font that does this automatically or if I actually have to create cut paths?
The issue with creating cut paths is that it is very time consuming. Keep in mind that a standard Monogram font will not work as it would produce a total drop out
Image one is perfect, image two is not so perfect.

Thanks again for you help.
BTW, I am using Illustrator CS6 and Corel X5 and have a few Universal Lasers and a few Gravograph systems.
This is actually a repost as I initially posted the question into the wrong area...rookie mistake.

Keith Downing
01-22-2018, 4:51 PM
You don't need a specific "font" for engraving. You simply need a quality graphic; the ones you already have look like they will probably work as is.

Then, depending on your laser/software, it can be set to do things like cutout around the edges of the colored area, raster engrave the color area, raster engrave the white area (after inverting in most software), etc etc.

I don't use a UL so I don't want to try to give you all the steps and throw you off by missing something, but it should be very simple to get the laser to use the designs you currently have.

Tony Lenkic
01-22-2018, 5:30 PM
Here are quick workaround.

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-22-2018, 7:31 PM
Welcome to the forum David. Try searching for stencil in this forum. You should find several posts that explain how to achieve what you are looking for.

Bill George
01-23-2018, 8:37 AM
Once again with all those machines, a pretty basic question and should not need a lot of help. Second poster we have had in the past few days, comes on answers or posts questions and is gone.

BTW, I am using Illustrator CS6 and Corel X5 and have a few Universal Lasers and a few Gravograph systems.
This is actually a repost as I initially posted the question into the wrong area...rookie mistake.

David DiPietro
01-23-2018, 9:21 AM
Thanks Keith. The first image I posted was from a file I found doing a basic internet search for monogram coasters which is the perfect result...the second was my attempt to design this. My graphic, #2, will yield a total drop out and will not keep the integrity of the letters. It would only have the outline of the letters left without the insides.

David DiPietro
01-23-2018, 9:24 AM
Here are quick workaround.

Tony, with looking at my two images, the red areas should remain as a continual unit. The second image, my attempt, will drop out all the centers leaving some big holes.
Thanks for the workaround...

David DiPietro
01-23-2018, 9:25 AM
Welcome to the forum David. Try searching for stencil in this forum. You should find several posts that explain how to achieve what you are looking for.

Will do Mike, thanks!

Kev Williams
01-23-2018, 12:41 PM
Keep in mind that a standard Monogram font will not work as it would produce a total drop out

Standard monogram font will work fine-- you just have to create a circle in which to weld the font to...

I found this "RMA" online, and vectorized it.
Then I made a border, 2 circles, combined and painted.
the bottom is pair is identical, just outlined for visual...

now I centered the letters within the border-
NOTE that the edges of the letters encroach into the edges of the inner circle,
this is important, the 2 entities must touch or overlap so the weld can take place..

Now, just hit the 'weld' function button

and you have a monogram that only the holes will fall out of when you cut--

You can make the circle border any thickness you want, and some changes to the letter's shapes to adjust how far into the circle the lettering encroaches will allow more open spaces around the outer edges of the outer letters as in your sample- the important part is that SOME of each letter is welded to the circle :)

David DiPietro
01-23-2018, 1:07 PM
Standard monogram font will work fine-- you just have to create a circle in which to weld the font to...

I found this "RMA" online, and vectorized it.
Then I made a border, 2 circles, combined and painted.
the bottom is pair is identical, just outlined for visual...

now I centered the letters within the border-
NOTE that the edges of the letters encroach into the edges of the inner circle,
this is important, the 2 entities must touch or overlap so the weld can take place..

Now, just hit the 'weld' function button

and you have a monogram that only the holes will fall out of when you cut--

You can make the circle border any thickness you want, and some changes to the letter's shapes to adjust how far into the circle the lettering encroaches will allow more open spaces around the outer edges of the outer letters as in your sample- the important part is that SOME of each letter is welded to the circle :)

Spectacular Kev!
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to show me that. Yes, it may seem basic to others but this is the type of assistance I was expecting.
Again, thank you so very much.

Keith Downing
01-23-2018, 2:38 PM
Thanks Keith. The first image I posted was from a file I found doing a basic internet search for monogram coasters which is the perfect result...the second was my attempt to design this. My graphic, #2, will yield a total drop out and will not keep the integrity of the letters. It would only have the outline of the letters left without the insides.

Ahhh, totally misunderstood the images in your post. Weld is definitely what you want. I think Kev has you covered but feel free to ask for additional information if you still need help.