PDA

View Full Version : Joiner design

Kent Parker
11-09-2005, 3:07 PM
All this talk about joiners lately got me looking around at what is readily available. I was looking at the Grizzly selection online and noticed the placement of their on/off controls, specifically on their #0586 25784

I've joined some very large panels with beveled edges and just imagine the Grizzly controls being right in the way. Anyone have any experience with this tool?

Cheers.

Kent

Dev Emch
11-09-2005, 6:01 PM
I did not think about that. You are absolutely correct.

Jim Becker
11-09-2005, 6:02 PM
I've always been uncomfortable with machine controls that require to to reach across the tool to operate, especially those with spinning cutters or spinning wood. And you do point out a practical consideration with this particular control position.

lou sansone
11-09-2005, 6:16 PM
hmmmmm. good point on that switch. I sort of favor the "knee" or "tip of the toe" location personally.

lou

Shiraz Balolia
11-09-2005, 6:26 PM
At the risk of sounding defensive, may I offer the following responses?

1) Bevelling wide boards. I thought of that when working on the switch placement. Simply slide the fence to the front and that gives you clearance for the board. Your boards will, generally, be no more than 1" thick and so you only need a little over an inch of cutterhead. Notice that the switch is not placed too tall.

2) Reaching across the machine also makes me nervous, Jim. However, the switch is on the infeed table side and you would (a) be reaching over the table, and (b) the guard will be in place over the cutterhead and you would have finished the cut.

3) The switch arm is bolted on and can easily be removed and switch relocated, if desired.

Thanks,
Shiraz.

Chris Damato
11-09-2005, 6:50 PM
My concern reagrding the switch in that position are that if I place it next to my tablesaw (or router table etc) and I want to crosscut a board, I have to move the jointer away because the switch sticks up so much. That is my issue with the G0586.

Matthew Poeller
11-09-2005, 8:56 PM
Ok. First off I am not in the market for one right now since I already own a jointer but here is what I wanted to say:

I find it pretty cool the the President of Grizzly is actually reading Sawmill and makes comments. Maybe you have done this before but I have not seen it. Very, very cool. I applaud your dedication to your machines and craft. I hope that you treat your employees well too.

Since they are posted on "your" website, I thought they were fair game. I have looked at the guitars that you make and they are absolutely gorgeous.

Matt Poeller

Shiraz Balolia
11-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Ok. First off I am not in the market for one right now since I already own a jointer but here is what I wanted to say:

I find it pretty cool the the President of Grizzly is actually reading Sawmill and makes comments. Maybe you have done this before but I have not seen it. Very, very cool. I applaud your dedication to your machines and craft. I hope that you treat your employees well too.

Since they are posted on "your" website, I thought they were fair game. I have looked at the guitars that you make and they are absolutely gorgeous.

Matt Poeller

Matt - Thank you for the kind comments. I have only been at SMC for about a week and came in to clarify misconceptions. For the most part, the reception has been excellent from this group although there are always a couple of less than enthusiastic folks in every group.

Thanks,
Shiraz.

JayStPeter
11-09-2005, 11:23 PM
One of the few things I liked about my Rockwell 6" jointer was the switch right on the front of the cabinet.
In my old shop, the jointer had to be pushed under the TS outfeed to free up space. Wouldn't be possible with one of those stalk mounted switches. With a more ideal shop, it's probably a good location. I like the panel layout on the pictured stalk, I like the big red mushroom stop button.

Jay

Charlie Plesums
11-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Matt - Thank you for the kind comments. I have only been at SMC for about a week and came in to clarify misconceptions. For the most part, the reception has been excellent from this group although there are always a couple of less than enthusiastic folks in every group.

Thanks,
Shiraz.
Shiraz - welcome to the creek.
I hope you will hang around and contribute to the discussions, both as an accomplished woodworker, and as an expert in machinery (expecially the green and cream ones).

... I applaud your dedication to your machines and craft. I hope that you treat your employees well too....
Matt - when I was at the Grizzly Springfield facility a couple years ago, I probed several employees - the response was universally positive about the boss - and they all knew him.

Shiraz Balolia
11-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Thank you, Charlie!

Kent Parker
11-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Shiraz,

Thank you for your response. Holding a straight edge on the above joiner photo it appears that even with the fence moved close the edge that a 45 degree angle could not be achieved. Please note that a 1" thick board would require at least 1 1/2" of exposed blade

Regards,

Kent

Scott Coffelt
11-10-2005, 12:06 PM
As mentioned, you can move the switch to another location if prefered. I believe wiring comes from the same location as their other models with switches on the base. I guess I should pay more attention to where they are located on other machines. I know my Jet is located on the base.

jon harriman
11-10-2005, 12:20 PM
I read a review of 8" jointers that was posted online from an old issue of American Woodworker (I think that was the mag).

They reviewed the G0500 model, and one of the "cons" was that there was not a pedestal mounted switch. The article pointed out that the new G0586 had the pedestal mount switch. I guess its just a personal preferance.

Craig Zettle
11-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Switch placement is a comfort issue as well as a practical one. I hate the switch placement on my Delta TS because I do not like reaching under the table and rooting around for the switch. My father had the on off position switched on his jointer so he could turn it off with his knee if he got caught in the cutterhead. (He lost a finger in high school in a jointer).