01-22-2018, 12:57 AM
Simple question: has Delta lost its mojo? :confused:

Dave Zellers
01-22-2018, 1:14 AM
Yeah. Ten years ago.

John Lanciani
01-22-2018, 5:10 AM
Yeah. Ten years ago.

Yup. More precisely, in 2005 when Black & Decker bought it from Pentair. It’s been downhill ever since.

Frederick Skelly
01-22-2018, 6:19 AM
Yup. Lotta threads on this in the archives, if you're interested.
Darn sad!
Fred

Matt Day
01-22-2018, 6:59 AM
Breaking news: Gary crawled out from under his rock!

scott spencer
01-22-2018, 7:17 AM
These days, Delta is more of sticker that gets applied than a brand name.

Ted Derryberry
01-22-2018, 8:54 AM
They have devolved to utter crap, and the customer service is worse.

lowell holmes
01-22-2018, 9:20 AM
Fortunately I have an old Delta. I'm curious, what are people buying now.
I imagine Sawstop rates high.

Ben Zara
01-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Their current drill press and 46-460 lathe get good reviews. I was thinking of buying the 46-460 lathe actually as most people on this forum seem to rate it well.

Ted Derryberry
01-22-2018, 11:23 AM
I would imagine the DIY crowd buys Ridgid because they don't know any better and the professionals looking for traditional north American style equipment are buying Powermatic. Then there's Grizzly and Sawstop. On the high end there's European equipment.

Ted Derryberry
01-22-2018, 11:25 AM
If I was using a drill press as much now as I was a couple of years ago I'd have my Delta for sale and pick up a Nova.

Andrew Pitonyak
01-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Simple question: has Delta lost its mojo? :confused:

Oh goodness no, they still make a great product

https://www.deltafaucet.com/

:D

<run and hide>

Doug Walls
01-22-2018, 1:55 PM
the professionals looking for traditional north American style equipment are buying Powermatic.
Even Powermatic is now made overseas! http://www.jpwindustries.com/brands/

It's a bit of extra work, But finding a good old USA made machine from around the 1960's & rebuilding it will be a lot better than what's currently available now days.

On the high end there's European equipment.
Nice if you had an actual business like a cabinet or furniture maker, But probably out of the budget for most woodworkers.

Doug

Gregory King
01-22-2018, 3:51 PM
Really sad to see what once was very good quality for the price, take such a down turn. Even so, I'd like to get my hands on one of those oscillating floor model spindle sanders. Should have bought one when Delta was in their hayday.

Bruce Wrenn
01-22-2018, 9:48 PM
I would like to get my hands around the neck of those sweet ole babes at B&D who bought the Delta brand.

Ted Derryberry
01-22-2018, 10:04 PM
Even Powermatic is now made overseas! http://www.jpwindustries.com/brands/

It's a bit of extra work, But finding a good old USA made machine from around the 1960's & rebuilding it will be a lot better than what's currently available now days.

Nice if you had an actual business like a cabinet or furniture maker, But probably out of the budget for most woodworkers.

Doug

I didn't say anything about where the equipment was made.

I'll put my new Felder KF700SP up against anything from the 1960's you want to rebuild, regardless of what country it's from.

Aren't cabinet and furniture makers woodworkers?

Dave Zellers
01-22-2018, 10:49 PM

True dat, but I'm going to guess he is making a distinction between a business and a hobbyist. Maybe. I think.

I'm mostly a cabinet maker but have decided I do enough other stuff that I call myself a woodworker just to keep it simple.

Rollie Meyers
01-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Delta was sold after Bleak & Dorker merged with Satanly to form Satanly Bleak & Dorker, they were already in decline when Pentair sold them, Porter-Cable was ruined by B&D.

Doug Walls
01-23-2018, 1:02 AM
I didn't say anything about where the equipment was made.

the professionals looking for traditional North American style equipment are buying Powermatic.
Sorry I took it that you were referring to Powermatic being made here in the USA.

True dat, but I'm going to guess he is making a distinction between a business and a hobbyist. Maybe. I think.

I guess I should have stated it as professionals & hobbyist!

Ted Derryberry
01-23-2018, 8:21 AM
Post a thread here asking how many hobbyists own European machinery. I think you'll be surprised at the answers.

Post another thread asking how many members are professionals. More than a couple I suspect.