PDA

View Full Version : Best project for charity auctions?

Tom Jones III
11-09-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm thinking forward to next year, what are some of the best projects to make to give to charity auctions? I've seen bandsaw boxes, jewelry boxes, turned bowls. What have you had good experience with? What brings high prices?

Guy Germaine
11-09-2005, 11:16 AM
I made this last year and donated it for silent auction to benefit Newfoundland dog rescue. It only brought $160, but I was told that one of the reasons was that since people were all traveling, they didn't have room to take it home. You may want to keep "size" in mind in making your decision.
http://www.fototime.com/248A8C394CC561B/standard.jpg

Alan Turner
11-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Stools and benches have been good for me in terms of charity auctions. Botht eh hearth bench (see my web site) and the Japanese Stool I posted here sold well at such auctions.

John Bush
11-09-2005, 3:44 PM
Hi Tom,
I,ve had good luck making outdoor benches using recycled cedar fencing. Potting benches are popular for patio "bars" and serving credenzas for entertaining, conventional seating benches with a matching coffee table have also done well, and now I'm making double Adirondack chairs joined with a table in between. The last event I made one for was a big hit and sold for over $400. The auctioneer sold two more after I agreed to make them so I had to scramble to find more quality wood. The fencing provides a rustic finish which seems to be universally appealing and the only cost is several boxes of screws. Cedar fencing is common out here in the Pacific NW so that is a big advantage. I have seen some made of 4" and 6" radius edged cedar decking and they look nice as well, but the free (http://stphork.com/?go=free) stuff looks better. Good Luck, John.

Vaughn McMillan
11-09-2005, 4:31 PM
Tom, while they won't bring the same dollar amounts mentioned here, cutting boards are relatively fast to make and easily portable after the sale. I got a bit over $60 for a little one (made from leftovers) that was auctioned for charity after Katrina.

- Vaughn

Jim Hinze
11-09-2005, 5:16 PM
I've had good luck with Pens, Small boxes and bandsaw boxes. Picture frames might also be a good hit.

I do like Vaughn's cutting board idea, those would probably catch a very nice price.

Tim Sproul
11-09-2005, 5:23 PM
Well-made shaker oval box sets.

Use a nice veneer or nice solid wood for the top.

Relatively easy to make and can fetch some money. Put a swinging handle on the largest.....