PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft Tool Swap

ken hatch
01-20-2018, 8:07 PM
Our local Woodcraft had a parking lot tool swap today. By luck I had the day off and last night I did a quick boxing up of some of my dust collectors, maybe a dozen marking gauges and knifes, some old squares, Stanley plane parts, a couple dozen bench chisels, a Stanley 45 and other misc junk. While I didn't sell all of it, I sold about $600 USD worth of stuff that was just taking up room in the shop and collecting dust and had a reasonably enjoyable day talking to folks. On the talking to folks, I don't know what to say other than wow, you forget not everyone that comes to a woodworking tool swap knows hand tools. I think the most surprising was that most did not.

ken

Marshall Harrison
01-20-2018, 8:19 PM
Our local Woodcraft had a parking lot tool swap today. By luck I had the day off and last night I did a quick boxing up of some of my dust collectors, maybe a dozen marking gauges and knifes, some old squares, Stanley plane parts, a couple dozen bench chisels, a Stanley 45 and other misc junk. While I didn't sell all of it, I sold about $600 USD worth of stuff that was just taking up room in the shop and collecting dust and had a reasonably enjoyable day talking to folks. On the talking to folks, I don't know what to say other than wow, you forget not everyone that comes to a woodworking tool swap knows hand tools. I think the most surprising was that most did not.

ken

Hmm. I wonder if I can get my local Woodcraft to do that. I don't have anything to sell but I sure know how to shop and buy stuff.

ken hatch
01-20-2018, 9:08 PM
Hmm. I wonder if I can get my local Woodcraft to do that. I don't have anything to sell but I sure know how to shop and buy stuff.

Marshal,

I did OK, managed to only come home with an extra Stanley #3 and a 5" throw brace that I traded for (a friend wanted a couple of my things and he had the two on his table). Truth be known, I would have given almost my whole table away for free just to rid the shop of junk.

ken

bridger berdel
01-20-2018, 11:05 PM
Marshal,

I did OK, managed to only come home with an extra Stanley #3 and a 5" throw brace that I traded for (a friend wanted a couple of my things and he had the two on his table). Truth be known, I would have given almost my whole table away for free just to rid the shop of junk.

ken

Hrmph. I happen to know that you traded that #3 for *another* #3. Not so much an acquisition as a sideways trade.

ken hatch
01-20-2018, 11:32 PM
Hrmph. I happen to know that you traded that #3 for *another* #3. Not so much an acquisition as a sideways trade.

Busted :p, BTW, I sharpened the cutter and found a leaver cap, still not a correct one, that had less shine and used it to smooth the faces of a couple of Cherry boards I had just trued. It may become my goto #3. Nice working plane, thanks.

ken

lowell holmes
01-21-2018, 9:34 AM
Ken,
I went on line and see that it is 36 degrees in Tuscon right now.
It is 78 degrees in my back yard in Dickinson Texas. We are in Galveston County.

I visited the Houston Woodcraft recently. I am not aware that they have tool swaps.

ken hatch
01-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Ken,
I went on line and see that it is 36 degrees in Tuscon right now.
It is 78 degrees in my back yard in Dickinson Texas. We are in Galveston County.

I visited the Houston Woodcraft recently. I am not aware that they have tool swaps.

Lowell,

Yep it was pretty cool for Tucson. The good news for the day was while it threatened to rain all day It didn't until it was time to pack up and go home.

Every Woodcraft is different, I had and expect others had asked the owner to have a parking lot tool exchange for some time. It went well enough (the in store sells were very good for the day) that the owner talked about making it a twice yearly event. BTW, he will have parking lot wood sales several times a year that always increase store sales. The tool exchange/sale was modeled on the wood sale.

ken