PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for Festool vs. Fein Dust Extractor

David Justice
01-20-2018, 3:17 PM
I have a DominoXL and just purchased a Festool sander and now want to get a dust extractor. According to the specs, they both have auto start, suction adjustment, HEPA and are quiet. The Fein has more CFM and higher water lift. So is there any reason to buy the Festool at almost $300 more? I don't really care about the collection size as I will be using with a Dust Deputy.

I am looking at the Festool C26 and Fein TurboII HEPA.

I'm seriously looking for answers. If there is a reason Festool would be a better choice I want to know, but I can't find it?

Thanks!

Jim Becker
01-20-2018, 3:33 PM
From a general functional perspective, either machine is great for the job. The Festool is the better choice if you want/need to "embrace the system", such as being able to attach Festool systainers and other accommodations on top of the extractor or utilize the hose-garage feature that Festool provides. One thing...at least for the Festool, but maybe for the Fein, too, but I'm not familiar with it...I don't prefer to use this kind of vac for "shop cleanup" because of the bags and their cost. I only use my Festool extractor for off-the-tool collection. I keep a small shop vac for general cleanup (a 4 gal Ridgid in my case) since I can just dump that into the trash after a thorough shop cleanup.

David Justice
01-20-2018, 4:04 PM
Thanks for that answer Jim, it's sort of what I was thinking. I am a hobbyist and not will be taking these tools out to job sites. I bought the festool for 2 reasons, I prefer to buy things only once, so I get the best I can afford, and I want the best dust control I can get. They excel at both and I really like them. So, as far as the dust extractor I really only care about function and what I can afford. If the Fein is equal in function, then I want to go with it because it's less expensive, leaving more money for tools and wood :-)

Mike Cutler
01-20-2018, 4:36 PM
David

I have been using a Fein Turbo II with my Festool tools for years now. I owned the Fein before I bought my first Festool product.
They work together just fine.;)

Matthew Hills
01-20-2018, 4:50 PM
I use the festool vac that I use with my domino. Works well.
I recall thinking that the Fein seemed like it might be even slighly better of a vacuum (maybe quieter? or something about the bag they can use) when I saw one in a friend's shop, although I haven't used one extensively myself.

I do think the flat top of the festool is an advantage. Stacking the festool cases is one option, or the various festool handles/boom-arms.

In my case, I have the ultimate dust deputy on top of the vacuum. This works well at separating the majority of the debris, so I happily use this with all of my tools with shop-vac ports. (small bandsaw/rigid sander/domino/etc.). The resulting assembly is a bit awkward with the hose routing. I'd like it better if I set up a handle to maneuver the car and had a place to loop+clip the hose. I think there have been a couple of versions of this with slightly different hoses/adapters and also strategies for addressing ESD.

Matt

Adam J Kolstad
01-20-2018, 6:17 PM
I have used a friend turbo 2 for years with my festool and other brand tools in the shop. I have a ct22 for when I need to be portable. Fein is great if not moving around much but the festool vac shines for portability and when moving from area to area due mostly to attachment of systainers to the vac and hose garage.

Martin Wasner
01-20-2018, 7:15 PM
I'd get the Festool vacuum just for the ease of clipping the dust deputy into the top of it.

Bryan Lisowski
01-20-2018, 9:10 PM
I bought into the system, but the one reason I would recommend the festool is the auto start feature. It is really important to have extraction with the domino, and if you are like me at times and forget to turn the vac on you could see rougher cuts and shorter life of the domino cutter/bits. If the Fein has auto start then save some money. I also heard the new Makita vacs have auto start now.

Dan Friedrichs
01-20-2018, 9:31 PM
The Festool vac is unimpressive, for the cost.

Honestly, I'd try to dissuade you from the Fein, too.

For $99, you can get one of these: https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/14-gallon-high-performance-wet-dry-vac
170CFM, and nearly as quiet as the Festool or Fein (you can have a conversation while it's running).

For another $30, you can add a CleanStream Pro HEPA filter, and for another $20, an auto-start tool trigger. Probably another $30 for a 1.25" diameter hose. For under $200, you've got a HEPA shop vac that moves a ton of air, and you don't need a separate "dust extractor" for the power tools.

Mike Henderson
01-20-2018, 10:13 PM

For $99, you can get one of these: https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/14-gallon-high-performance-wet-dry-vac
170CFM, and nearly as quiet as the Festool or Fein (you can have a conversation while it's running).

For another $30, you can add a CleanStream Pro HEPA filter, and for another $20, an auto-start tool trigger. Probably another $30 for a 1.25" diameter hose. For under $200, you've got a HEPA shop vac that moves a ton of air, and you don't need a separate "dust extractor" for the power tools.

I essentially did this - maybe not with the exact same parts that Dan mentioned but the end result is the same. I used an i-Vac as a sensor to turn the vac on when I turn my tool on, and an inexpensive "router speed control" to control the amount of suction. Here's a couple of pictures and you can look here (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/mikes_projects07.htm)and go to the posting of 9/2/2012.
377041 377040

I've been using it at least that long and never had a problem.

Mike

David Justice
01-20-2018, 11:03 PM
I actually do have the setup that Dan mentions here, but with a Dust Deputy and it works very well for cleaning up the shop and even works well with the Domino, circular saw and the router. The sander dust extraction is really what I'm not happy with. When I'm finished sanding a board with this setup there is still lots of fine dust left on the board and in the air, I'm sure. With the Festool or Fein I'm really counting on that dust being collected. I believe it's the Water lift or Static pressure that differentiates the dust extractor from the shop vac and does so well at collecting fine dust at the tool. Am I correct about this?

Josh Kocher
01-20-2018, 11:14 PM
I have a CT26. Great vacuum, I've been very happy with it.

I use it with the domino/routers/sanders/track saw/mitre saw. Tons of capacity. It takes forever to fill the bag. I'd have a hard time paying what they cost new today though since there are a couple options.

If I got a replacement/second vacuum it would probably be that Fein. Unless you want the hose garage or systainer compatibility get the Fein.

I wouldn't get the Rigid... been there done that... there is no comparison to a quality vac like you are looking at.

Christian Setla
01-21-2018, 12:11 AM
I actually do have the setup that Dan mentions here, but with a Dust Deputy and it works very well for cleaning up the shop and even works well with the Domino, circular saw and the router. The sander dust extraction is really what I'm not happy with. When I'm finished sanding a board with this setup there is still lots of fine dust left on the board and in the air, I'm sure. With the Festool or Fein I'm really counting on that dust being collected. I believe it's the Water lift or Static pressure that differentiates the dust extractor from the shop vac and does so well at collecting fine dust at the tool. Am I correct about this?

I'm afraid Water lift or Static pressure will make no difference in dust extraction. The *ONLY* thing that removes dust is air flow.... if air is not flowing, neither is the dust. The faster the air flows and the larger the volume of air moving, the more dust it can carry. Put some dust in the palm of your hand, jamb the nozzle of *any* vacuum over top so air cannot enter the nozzle, turn the vacuum on and then off.... after the motor completely stops, lift the nozzle and all the dust will still be in the palm of your hand..... unless the static pressure is so high that it ruptures the blood vessels in your hand and manages to set up a "blood flow" instead of "air flow".

Noise, air flow and filtration are the key points of any vacuum, spend your money wisely. As for your sanding situation, the sander itself makes the biggest difference in dust collection (properly designed airflow and collection points), so perhaps that is one place improvement can be made.

Brian W Evans
01-21-2018, 8:36 AM
I purchased a Fein to use with my Domino and I like it quite a bit - excellent suction, autostart, hose fits the Domino out of the box. However, I find that I often wonder if I should have gotten a Festool vac and mounted a Dust Deputy on it. I also think I would like the hose arm that Festool sells. Hard to say if these things would be worth the extra money, though. Festool hoses and adapters are ridiculously expensive. Fein's adapters are available on Amazon for about 1/2 what Festool adapters cost.

I did end up buying a Dust Deputy for my Fein and built a cart to make them both portable. There are lots of plans for this online. Here's mine:

Dan Friedrichs
01-21-2018, 8:46 AM
I wouldn't get the Rigid... been there done that... there is no comparison to a quality vac like you are looking at.

I'm a Festool fan, so this is no argument about the aesthetics of lime green paint (:D), but I'm not sure I agree.

The new Rigid model with the "scroll noise reduction" and a HEPA filter is really, really nice. I've actually stopped using the Hover in the house (I doubt the dish-sponge sized "filter" is exactly HEPA rated...) in favor of the Rigid - it just moves SO MUCH air, and with a few attachments, goes everywhere (and is MUCH quieter). I just can't see how anything else could give any better quality or performance.

Mike Cutler
01-21-2018, 8:54 AM
That is a nice setup you have Dan.

When I bought my Fein Turbo II many years ago, most everything else "affordable" was just these banshee screaming, plastic junk, dust pump, boxes that required hearing protection. I see now that Rigid and the others have tuned into the consumer to make them quieter, and more efficient. Noise was my overriding selection criteria for a shop vac back then.
I'm waiting for my 20 year old Rigid screamer to die, so I can buy one of the newer quieter models. I think If I keep using it to blow leaves, and clean gutters, I can accelerate it's demise.:D

Julie Moriarty
01-21-2018, 12:02 PM
I purchased a Fein to use with my Domino and I like it quite a bit - excellent suction, autostart, hose fits the Domino out of the box. However, I find that I often wonder if I should have gotten a Festool vac and mounted a Dust Deputy on it.
There was a thread on Festool Owner's Group a few years back where someone with a Festool vac and a Dust Deputy experienced a failure of the control board on the vac. Festool reps said the board failed because of static that failed to discharge due to the DD placed in between the machine and the vac. There was a lot of conversation after that but Festool made it clear, if you insert any non-Festool devices in between their tools and their vacs, their warranty is void.

I wondered, if undischarged static can ruin the Festool vac's control board, why does Festool sell non anti-static hoses? I have used their non anti-static hose with a Dewalt router and track saw many times and I also use it for final floor cleanup. After two years, no problems.

Larry Edgerton
01-21-2018, 3:21 PM
From a general functional perspective, either machine is great for the job. The Festool is the better choice if you want/need to "embrace the system", such as being able to attach Festool systainers and other accommodations on top of the extractor or utilize the hose-garage feature that Festool provides. One thing...at least for the Festool, but maybe for the Fein, too, but I'm not familiar with it...I don't prefer to use this kind of vac for "shop cleanup" because of the bags and their cost. I only use my Festool extractor for off-the-tool collection. I keep a small shop vac for general cleanup (a 4 gal Ridgid in my case) since I can just dump that into the trash after a thorough shop cleanup.

I do the same thing Jim, but the thought has crossed my mind that its kind of shooting yourself in the foot a bit being as the fines on the floor are just as bad as the fines off the tool. I use Shopvac bags, not as good but better than nothing.

I keep looking for generic Festool/Fein bags, but have not found them yet.

Larry Edgerton
01-21-2018, 3:31 PM

If that is the case look at the small Festool suitcase vac. I have one mounted over the bench, and even with its small size it will do a lot of sanding before it is full. The bags are relatively cheap, and I vacuum them out with the shopvac a couple of times. Picks up the dust well, and the small size is nice for the odd occasion when I have a really small job to do in house. At $375 its not breaking the bank.

Josh Kocher
01-21-2018, 11:55 PM
Bag changes are so infrequent... "vacuuming out with a shopvac"... just buy a pack of bags if you need it it won't break the bank...

Peter Kelly
01-22-2018, 12:47 AM
I have a DominoXL and just purchased a Festool sander and now want to get a dust extractor. According to the specs, they both have auto start, suction adjustment, HEPA and are quiet. The Fein has more CFM and higher water lift. So is there any reason to buy the Festool at almost $300 more? I don't really care about the collection size as I will be using with a Dust Deputy.

I am looking at the Festool C26 and Fein TurboII HEPA.

I'm seriously looking for answers. If there is a reason Festool would be a better choice I want to know, but I can't find it?

Thanks!The Kaercher WD5 (https://www.kaercher.com/us/home-garden/multi-functional-vacuum-cleaners/multi-purpose-vacuum-cleaners/wd-5-p-13481970.html) can be had for about $152 from Home Depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Karcher-6-6-Gal-WD5-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-1-348-196-0/300262382?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-300262391-_-300262382-_-N) and other retailers. I've also got a C26 which is great but not dramatically better than the aforementioned one and considerably more expensive.

Larry Frank
01-22-2018, 7:18 AM
I have the CT26 and it is a HEPA rated vacuum and the Kaercher is not. There are quite a few backs that have HEPA rated filters but the vac are not HEPA rated.

I use mine on my scroll saw, Sanders and other tools that make fine dust. Being older, the HEPA rating is important to me.

Brian W Evans
01-23-2018, 8:44 AM
There was a thread on Festool Owner's Group a few years back where someone with a Festool vac and a Dust Deputy experienced a failure of the control board on the vac. Festool reps said the board failed because of static that failed to discharge due to the DD placed in between the machine and the vac. There was a lot of conversation after that but Festool made it clear, if you insert any non-Festool devices in between their tools and their vacs, their warranty is void.

I wondered, if undischarged static can ruin the Festool vac's control board, why does Festool sell non anti-static hoses? I have used their non anti-static hose with a Dewalt router and track saw many times and I also use it for final floor cleanup. After two years, no problems.

My DD came with a self-adhesive metallic strip that you run from the cyclone intake to a bolt (and therefore to the metal dust bucket). They say this eliminates static. Not sure if the Festool-specific DD comes with something like this.

You can see the strip in the picture below:

Mike Henderson
01-23-2018, 12:10 PM
My DD came with a self-adhesive metallic strip that you run from the cyclone intake to a bolt (and therefore to the metal dust bucket). They say this eliminates static. Not sure if the Festool-specific DD comes with something like this.

You could easily make something like that strip with the metallic tape that many of us use to seal our DC ducting. It's metal and it has an adhesive side. Just have to make sure the metal part was touching what you want to conduct and not insulated by the adhesive.

Mike

Peter Kelly
01-23-2018, 2:22 PM
I have the CT26 and it is a HEPA rated vacuum and the Kaercher is not. There are quite a few backs that have HEPA rated filters but the vac are not HEPA rated.

I use mine on my scroll saw, Sanders and other tools that make fine dust. Being older, the HEPA rating is important to me.I've a large Blue Air HEPA filter that takes care of the room.

Julie Moriarty
01-26-2018, 11:58 AM

That was addressed in the FOG conversation. The guy who fried his Festool control board had continuous grounding in place when the board fried. Festool"s position remained that if you put any non-Festool device between their tool and their vac, the warranty is void.

Mike Heidrick
01-27-2018, 12:10 AM
I like the boom arm and the ultimate dust deputy for the festool.

Bradley Potts
01-27-2018, 1:44 AM
I've had a Turbo II for a good 20 years and it works so well that it's hard to see where or how Festool could make the $300 price difference worth the $300. I've made my own Thien separator from a 5-gal bucket and a cannibalized Ridgid screamer base whose motor died (bottomless bucket drops into the base for a tight seal). The separator works stunningly well, so the next step is to create a cart like Brian Evans' cart in order to eliminate the insanity of the Siamese pieces.

I remain dubious of the Ridgids, but you could always buy one and try it out risk-free. If it fails you, then return it and step up to the Fein or the Fester if you're feeling especially flush with cash. If you opt for the Fester, I would suggest looking at one of their extractor-tool combo's simply to save yourself 10% off that ridiculously expensive combo. That said, I resisted the Fester call for 15-years and finally nearly caved in when I bought a Makita track saw -- wow, I was an idiot for putting that off even for a day, yes, even for a $400 track saw setup, gasp. Better decide quickly, as March 15 is when Festool bumps its prices by their mandatory annual 10%!! (yet another reason to avoid Fester)

BTW, that HEPA rating is a BIG deal: It allows you to meet OSHA and other regulatory guidelines for hazmat removal, it costs a lot of money to get that regulatory clearance, and most manufacturers who sell true HEPA rated products generally tack on a minimum $150 premium for that feature -- this matters if you use the vac professionally, even for handyman services. Slapping Ridgid's HEPA filter onto one of their vacs does NOT turn the vac into a HEPA unit, it just eliminates an indeterminate amount of additional dust of an indeterminate size, and reduces the vacuum's performance.

Larry Edgerton
01-27-2018, 5:58 AM
Bag changes are so infrequent... "vacuuming out with a shopvac"... just buy a pack of bags if you need it it won't break the bank...

This is my business, by vacuuming them out a couple of times I save $11.42 x 5 =$57.10 per package of bags. Low overhead is the key to a small woodworking business, have been in business for 32 years. I think I will just stick to my regularly schedules program.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-27-2018, 10:10 AM
Tis has been an enlightening thread. The things I learned:
- Festool vacs require a bag. I didn't know this. So glad I did not buy one, as that would be a hassle.
- The Fein will hold systainers according to a YouTube video I watched after reading this thread.
- Festool is succeptable to static discharges.

This is thread has made me want a Fein. My Ridgid is doing me just fine for now, but if it ever dies I will get a Fein.

Brian W Evans
01-28-2018, 1:52 PM
- Festool vacs require a bag. I didn't know this. So glad I did not buy one, as that would be a hassle.
- The Fein will hold systainers according to a YouTube video I watched after reading this thread.

This is thread has made me want a Fein. My Ridgid is doing me just fine for now, but if it ever dies I will get a Fein.

My Fein has a bag. Not sure if it's required or not (don't much care since it came with one and I have a Dust Deputy to catch almost everything before it gets into the bag), but thought you should know before settling on a Fein.

Rod Sheridan
01-29-2018, 10:48 AM

Hi Malcolm, actually that's one of the reasons I like the Festool vac, they use a bag.

I guess that's the industrial approach in me, if you're concerned about hazardous fine dust, you want a bag so you're not exposed to it when emptying it.

At work we use a Dust Deputy for vacuuming dust, particularly when drilling concrete, it separates so much out that we don't change the bag more than once or twice a year....Rod.

Mike Henderson
01-29-2018, 12:26 PM
Hi Malcolm, actually that's one of the reasons I like the Festool vac, they use a bag.

I guess that's the industrial approach in me, if you're concerned about hazardous fine dust, you want a bag so you're not exposed to it when emptying it.

At work we use a Dust Deputy for vacuuming dust, particularly when drilling concrete, it separates so much out that we don't change the bag more than once or twice a year....Rod.

I use a bag in my Ridgid vac for the same reasons that Rod mentioned. They're not that expensive and my vac doesn't fill up that quickly - I mostly use it connected to my sanders so most of the swarf is sanding dust. Makes it much easier to dispose of the swarf and the primary filter stays clean so I get consistent vacuuming.

Mike

Adam J Kolstad
01-29-2018, 5:13 PM
One thing to note also is that the older R2D2 style Feins are reportedly a much better vac than the newer models. i don't personally have any comparison other than i have a 15ish year old R2D2 style turbo 2 and my dealer keeps telling me to hold onto it as this unit is way better than the newer models. In the hepa world and osha compliance festool is not out of line on their pricing. If you want to see some crazy pricing on a hepa rated vac take a look at the Hilti line. The model that compares to the CT36E (self cleaning fine dust model) is over 1k now. Hilti's are hepa rated and designed for concrete dust. Love my Hilti stuff as it is definitely a pro tool in terms of quality and the pricing shows it.

David Justice
01-31-2018, 12:03 AM
I ended up getting the Fein Turbo 1 and got a HEPA filter, $388 total. Liking it very much so far, the suction with the Domino and 125 sander is great! No dust left in the mortise or on the board when sanding, can't imagine that the Festool would do any better.

Thanks everyone for their advice and help!!

Greg R Bradley
01-31-2018, 9:42 AM
The suction power will be very similar. The advantages of the Festool will be in variable suction, convenience, anti-static, stacking tools on top, etc. The HEPA cert on the Festool will be important to many commercial users.

The calibrated air leak for variable suction on the new Feins is just one reason why I wouldn't replace on of my older Feins with the new models. The Festools are easily worth the price difference to some buyers. The Ridgid 1450 is great for others. Sounds like you have a reasonable compromise for your needs.

Curt Harms
02-01-2018, 5:44 AM

Shop Vac bags will fit the older Fein Turbo II. That's what in mine now. I don't know if the current production Fein is different.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-01-2018, 9:26 AM

I use a bag in my Ridgid vac, but my issue is that I can get Ridgid bags locally, and Festool bags I would have to order. Also the Ridgid doesn't have to use the bag if I happen to run out. What I have read about the Festool is that the bag is required for use.

Julie Moriarty
02-02-2018, 11:44 AM
I use a bag in my Ridgid vac, but my issue is that I can get Ridgid bags locally, and Festool bags I would have to order. Also the Ridgid doesn't have to use the bag if I happen to run out. What I have read about the Festool is that the bag is required for use.

Yes, the bag is required on the Festool vac. It fills up pretty tightly and has taken me 6-12 months to fill one bag, but that's just for sanders. I recently used it when flatten a couple of slabs with a router sled. Mostly, I was hoping it would pick up the fine dust and it did a pretty good job. Then the vac suddenly stopped working. The bag was chock full, the first time I let it fill that far. I've even used it to pick up drywall dust from a pole sander. I thought that would clog the bag but it didn't.

Matt Lau
02-04-2018, 1:40 AM
I have a Festool CT36 HEPA, Fein Turbo 1, and Nilfisk Attix 8 converted to HEPA.

IMHO, for woodworking: 1. nilfisk (good ergos, good power, relatively quiet, more refined, multiple layers of safeties); 2. Fein (more power, still quiet, more tougher, poor ergonomics and hose storage) 3. Festool (weaker real life power than the nilfisk, more audible--since noise is at higher register, well thought out stacking system).

If you're not extremely stacked for space (need to clip in systainers on your vac, or carry a Mirka Deros on your vac), I personally think the Fein is best.

For overall wet/dry utility and severe abusive use, I think my Fein is best. Two weeks ago, a leak came because my neighbor clogged the pipes. The Nilfisk would have about 60% of the suction of the fein, not hold as much water (due to hose position), and make an annoying alert sound if the airflow went below a certain level. The Fein soldered on...after maybe an hour of severe abuse, the motor would shut down to cool off. The festool stayed in the back like the drawer queen it is. :D

Personally, I'd recommend getting a used FEIN with variable suction and auto start---they go cheap, and are better than the new ones. Or you can get a Nilfisk with variable suction and auto start--they are sometimes made for other brands too.

IMHO, the Festool is best thought of as a portable systainer cart that has a functional hepa vacuum attached.

Btw, I'm not bashing the Festool at all. I pull out my festool ct36 (along with my tool systainers) when I need to have a break and do woodworking behind my office. It works extremely well as a convenient portable tool workshop of sorts when paired with a portable work bench.

Matt Lau
02-04-2018, 1:48 AM
I forgot to mention that Nilfisk confusingly has multiple options of the same vac:
Plain/ Tool triggered/ Tool trigger with auto clean/ Tool trigger with manual clean (my version).
All have variable suction.

The cheaper versions tend to be Plain (like for Stihl).
Makita has the Tool trigger with autoclean.
Mirka has the tool trigger with manual clean (most useful IMO, since the autoclean can result in bad things when you use a sander with the vac).

Rob L. Jones
02-04-2018, 7:43 AM
Festool has updated their vacs. They have strengthened the hose garage and designed a new hose. The new hose is smooth on the outside with no ridges to catch on the edge of tables or boards. No release date for North America has been announced yet.

Matt Lau
02-12-2018, 11:47 AM
FWIW, even though I may sound like a Festool basher, I'm a huge fan of how they implement their ergonomics and organization. As a hobbyist, I just can't justify too many of their tools when I can find something cheaper that works as well (Makita track saw, Nilfisk/Fein vac), better (Mirka Deros), or build something better (Paulk workbench).

Maybe I should save up for their router? The dust collection seems pretty sweet.

Jim Becker
02-12-2018, 1:01 PM
Matt, I do have to say that the dust collection on the OF1400 has been really good and with multiple options for collection, depending on the job at hand, it's flexible, too.

Matt Lau
02-13-2018, 3:00 PM
Thanks for the tip. Any thoughts on the OF1010?

Jim Becker
02-13-2018, 5:21 PM
Thanks for the tip. Any thoughts on the OF1010?
I like my OF1010, too. DC isn't quite as good as with the larger unit and, of course, you're limited to 1/4" and 8mm collets. For smaller tasks, it's a comfortable tool to use for sure. Of the two, I use the OF1400 the most, but that's because the majority of my bits are 1/2" shank. When the job calls for 1/4" or 8mm shank, I have no issue pulling out the OF1010 if it's the right tool for the job. If you're only going to buy one...make it the OF1400. It's suited to "almost everything" except swinging "really big" bits in a table...and I'd never put it in a table.

Norman Pirollo
02-15-2018, 8:52 AM

I also have a Ridgid setup. One of the newer, quieter 16 gallon vacuums.. this would be the Contractor version with handle, tool pouch and large wheels. Package includes a HEPA filter and muffler. I could not ask for anything more. I did add the Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=47161&cat=62597,62621&ap=1 which includes a flexible hose and some attachments. Vac was priced at $129 CDN so all told with hose kit -> $200CDN. Also works extremely well as a shop vac... Very slick and I get compliments and questions about it.

David Justice
02-15-2018, 11:25 AM
I had this same Rigid setup, same vac, HEPA filter, Auto switch and all. I bought the Fein for my Domino and sander and the difference is unbelievable! No matter what Rigid claims, the Fein has much greater suction and is much quieter. Using my Festool sander, the Rigid always left quite a bit of dust on the wood, but using the fein....nothing. The Fein is worth every penny to me. I still use the Rigid for general shop cleanup, but I wouldn't use it for dust extraction from a tool again.

Mike Cutler
02-16-2018, 7:36 AM
I like my OF1010, too. DC isn't quite as good as with the larger unit and, of course, you're limited to 1/4" and 8mm collets. For smaller tasks, it's a comfortable tool to use for sure. Of the two, I use the OF1400 the most, but that's because the majority of my bits are 1/2" shank. When the job calls for 1/4" or 8mm shank, I have no issue pulling out the OF1010 if it's the right tool for the job. If you're only going to buy one...make it the OF1400. It's suited to "almost everything" except swinging "really big" bits in a table...and I'd never put it in a table.

Jim
I have the 1400 and the 2200. Given a choice between the two, I would take the 2200, regardless of it's ability to use large diameter bits, without being mounted in a table. I find it balances better in my hands than the 1400. It is such a nice router to use.

Jim Becker
02-16-2018, 9:37 AM
The 2200 is a beast and does what it does well. If I'm not mistaken, it has a non-Festool origination, however. I find the OF1400 to be very comfortable to use, but this is always a subjective thing and each of us will likely have different likes and dislikes around how things feel.

John Sanford
02-21-2018, 1:24 PM
Here's a Head 2 Head shootout of almost all the dust extractors aimed at the contractor market. Mirka and the basic wet/dry shopvacs are not included. I'm pretty sure that your basic shopvac can't meet the new OSHA requirements. Mirka undoubtedly can, although their HEPA filter is obscenely expensive, they just aren't on the radar.

http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-head/best-dust-extractors-head-to-head/

Martin Wasner
02-21-2018, 10:12 PM
I think the Mirka vacuum is a rebranded nilfisk

Greg R Bradley
02-22-2018, 10:35 AM
I think the Mirka vacuum is a rebranded nilfisk
Actually, I think MOST of the vacs listed above except Festool and Fein are some version of Nilfisk. I think many of them have a combination of features that don't match up exactly with any Nilfisk model so I assume they are being built to the specs of the company that puts their name on the vac.
The Mirka and Milwaukee are basically a Attix 33. Makita is basically a Attix 50, as was a recent Bosch model but not the Bosch in the test above. Older Bosch and Metabo were made by Starmix, current models made by Nilfisk.

In a manufacturing company, we pretty much settled on Rigid 1450 and replacing them when they died in 2-6 months. With great difficulty, we were able to warranty about 20%. This was more expensive in time wasted than just throwing them away. We used the older Feins in the "cleaner" places, probably because it is hard to subject a nice vac to that abuse. The Feins still work after 8 years but they were in nicer areas than the Rigids. Of course, the new Feins are not even made by the same company that made the old ones. With the new OSHA rules, we will have to go to real HEPA vacs and spend a ton more money. Nilfisk industrial vacs start around $1400 but they should last.

Jay Moodley
02-22-2018, 10:19 PM
Hello folks! This is my first post here. I am also looking at a dust collector and I’m leaning towards the Festool CT26. I understand from a couple of reviews that the Nilfisk based products do a regular filter clean cycle where the power is boosted for a few seconds. Some amazon reviews mention that this cleaning cycle is not great for sanding applications. The Festool and Fein don't appear to have this issue. Anyone using a Makita or other Nilfisk based machine experience issues with orbital sanders?

Marty R Schlosser
02-23-2018, 9:02 AM
Before replacing my venerable Ridgid shopvac, I did quite a bit of comparison shopping, and in the end plunked down my hard-earned dollars (about $475 US at the current exchange rate) for a Fein Turbo II HEPA Set. Here's a link to the Rockler site for it: http://www.rockler.com/fein-turbo-ii-hepa?sid=V9197&sid=v9100&gclid=CjwKCAiAlL_UBRBoEiwAXKgW57M8C1hDtSxDHA2T-naGMD8RhUTLP-QRVxJUVXPoDPX50ueqlrtiwRoCaEUQAvD_BwE

The thing I liked about the package, was that it included not only the hose (which mates perfectly with my Festool machines as well as my Metabo 6" ROS and other hand-held power tools) but the floor sweep and wands, plus a brush. Those extras are included, free... unlike Festool's shop vacs. And of course, it comes with the auto on/off for plugging your tools into. The only option I went for was the heavy-duty extra filter, which sits neatly into the inside of the vac, to keep anything that may get past the Oneida Dust Deputy (and that's hardly anything) and prematurely clog the shopvac's HEPA filter.

Hope this helps.

As you can see in the photo, I made myself a roller base to house both it and the Oneida Dust Deputy, yet enable me to vry quickly lift off the shop vac to take to my garage for cleaning out the cars.

It's a great vac, at a great price.

Charles P. Wright
02-25-2018, 3:32 PM
Festool has updated their vacs. They have strengthened the hose garage and designed a new hose. The new hose is smooth on the outside with no ridges to catch on the edge of tables or boards. No release date for North America has been announced yet.
You can preorder new vacs or replacement hoses from Tool Nut now, they are listed as 2018 models and ship March 1.

James White
11-09-2018, 3:58 PM
I have been looking into a dust extractor and came across this video. Hopefully it will help someone make a decision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3OTFdvp000