PDA

View Full Version : Sort of OT-Vocational Training

Russell Svenningsen
11-09-2005, 9:54 AM
The other day, I posted my reactions to the new woodshop at the brand-new high school here in Marshall, MN. Since that time several members have posted their comments on the subject. Many of them were surprised that vocational education, or "the trades" were being supported in a new school, etc. To add to that, the new high school has an enormous new mechanics shop, complete with 2 carlifts. I couldn't get in there the other day, so I am relying on secondhand information, but it's a source I trust.

At any rate, I am originally from NJ, and my family still lives there. Two years ago, my little brother made a career change. He left the auto dealership where he had worked for nearly 10 years(he is a fine mechanic), and went to work for a friend who owned a large plumbing business. My brother is a loyal and hard worker, this fellow had been after him for some time. Two years later, my brother is happy to have made the switch and is doing well.

My point is this, he (my brother, Dale), has one frustration. He cannot get licensed as a plumber without a 4-year college degree. As a professor at a state school(Southwest Minnesota State University), I was shocked when he told me that. My brother has never been the "school-type". He went for a couple of years to a community school, but it's not his "thing". He is as smart, clever and thoughtful as anyone I know, he just knew that school wasn't for him. As the sons of a contractor, I have always had the greatest respect for those that work with their hands. College is not for everyone. There should be a place for those who want to get right to work in the trades.

It should not surprise anyone that after a little searching, I discovered that the state and community colleges in NJ have leapt into the breach and are offering programs tailor-made for those who need(nto necessarily "want") to complete a degree to get licensed. It seems to me that this is a ploy to increase enrollment(read: TUITION PAYMENTS) to the state system. It's the obvious choice. If a person needs to get a degree, they won't choose the high-dollar private school, would they? Is this not going to squeeze those interested in the trades out of them? Is this not, as a result, going to drive up prices for these services? This does not seem like a wise, or honest policy.

I am interested in other's thoughts on the matter and what you might know about policy's where you are from. Frankly, the whole thing absolutely galls me!

Best,
Russell

James Ayars
11-09-2005, 10:04 AM
I've never heard of requiring a 4 year degree to be a licensed plumber. here in North Carolina that is not the case. What kind of degree would you get? I've never seen anyone major in septic tanks or toilets. Here our community colleges teach the trades and the tuition is quite reasonable, a two year degree can be earned for around $3,000 total and sometimes less.

In our high schools, tdare classes are prety much dead. They are usually places to keep hoodlums for part of the day.
James