PDA

View Full Version : Meteor over Michigan

Myk Rian
01-18-2018, 5:09 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it here.

John K Jordan
01-18-2018, 5:35 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it here.

Thanks for the heads up. I found several videos, one from a whole-sky camera. They describe it as a fireball.

Fireballs are wonderful - I saw a green fireball once in TN once, a pre-Leonid, spitting "sparks". It was so bright it cast shadows of two of us onto a campfire! We turned around looking for the light source and caught the last half of it's travel.

My lifetime favorite was at the Point on Hatteras island on the Outer Banks. Maybe 1 or 2am, crystal clear sky, me loafing with a line in the water, the only one at the Point, watching the sky. A huge fireball made a vertical trace exactly where I was looking in the sky, appearing as it traveling straight down. THEN, when 1/2 way down the sky a second one came from the left (East) and made a perfectly horizontal trace, intersecting the first to form a perfect cross in the sky. Zounds, what are the chances??? I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. I "got religion" that night. :)

The traces on these stayed visible for several seconds as they sometimes do.

I think it's a shame that these days most of these events are never seen by people since most people don't get outside and look up.

JKJ

Myk Rian
01-18-2018, 5:42 PM
I saw the sky light up through the window, but didn't hear anything. It's said any pieces likely landed about 15 miles south of us.

Ole Anderson
01-18-2018, 5:49 PM
I saw the sky light up through the window, but didn't hear anything. It's said any pieces likely landed about 15 miles south of us.

Same here. They say it was a six footer. That could do some serious damage if it hadn't broken up at 1-2 miles up.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/17/meteorites-michigan-meteor-livingston-county/1041217001/

John K Jordan
01-18-2018, 6:10 PM

I'll bet there will be hundreds of meteor hunters wandering around 15 miles south of you! I'd go if I could. The weather people have a trace on the path.

JKJ

Ole Anderson
01-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Didn't take long for someone to find some fragments: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/18/michigan-meteor-meteorite-whitmore-lake/1044529001/

John K Jordan
01-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Didn't take long for someone to find some fragments: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/18/michigan-meteor-meteorite-whitmore-lake/1044529001/

Excellent! Thanks for that.

Izzy Camire
01-19-2018, 2:08 PM
It must be caused by global warming! How else could that thing get that hot.

Tom Stenzel
01-19-2018, 3:59 PM
I was driving straight south on Outer Drive on the West side of Detroit. The meteor streaked by behind me so I didn't see it but it sure lit up the sky. My wife was home in the basement and heard the boom. She thought it was thunder.

Of course just before the meteor went by the Service Engine Soon light popped on the Chevy Venture. Haven't seen it's cheery glow since the air flow sensor pooped out a few years back. Is it an omen? A sign of the Apocalypse? Should I prepare for the End of the World as We Know It? Or is the van falling apart in new and improved ways? Guess I'll find out!

-Tom