PDA

View Full Version : Freight Shipping Ideas

Joe Scarfo
11-09-2005, 8:53 AM
I am looking to be moving to Green Bay from Tampa in the next month or so. I think I've scored a job which will let me move to Green Bay and be near my two young children whom I miss.

I'm working through how to move my few household good and over stocked shop up and I've got moving estimates of 8K - 11K and there just has to be a cheaper way.

It occurred to me to "palletize" the shop. mount the Uni, sanders, etc to pallets and take them to a depot and have them shipped up. I have no idea how to investigate this and work out the price.

The concept is to ship them to Green Bay and let them sit in the shippers whse for appx two weeks while I get up there. When I arrive, take them to a storage until till I buy a house with a shop. Given I anticipate a "fixer upper" I'll need them when the house is sold.

My question is.. any one familiar w/ this scenario and a less expensive shipper?

Thanks
Joe

tod evans
11-09-2005, 8:59 AM
in this part of the country a fellow can buy a 18ft flatbed trailer for 2500 brand-new rated for 12k#. if you have a pick-up this is an idea. tod

Jim Becker
11-09-2005, 9:09 AM
What about PODS?

Joe Scarfo
11-09-2005, 9:29 AM
Thanks for the ideas..

I contacted PODS and they came in at appx $600/mos for storage and appx $6K to move the stuff.

That's when my thoughts swung to an enclosed cargo trailer. I could buy it, then sell it when i'm done and be out fewer dollars at the end.

An enclosed cargo trailer and pulling the stuff up myself. The goods (house and shop) weigh between 14,000 and 16,000 lbs. I didn't think an enclosed cargo trailer could deal with that weight.

If I shipped the heavy shop items, it'll reduce the trailer needs and make it easier for my 1600 Silverado to pull it up.

The truck only has the small v8 and I'm not sure how it'll do pulling that much weight that far.

Thanks for the pointers...

Joe

Karl Laustrup
11-09-2005, 9:33 AM
What about PODS?

Unless they've changed since I moved my mom here from SoCal in late July, you can't get here [WIS] from anywhere with PODS. Kinda like trying to get a Southwest Airline flight to somewhere in Wisconsin, impossible. :mad:

Closest to my mom in Hemet at the time was over 60 miles. In a few years the PODS system will be great. Until then, if you're not moving from one of the MAJOR metro areas to another MAJOR metro area, it's the old way. Moving company or Penske or U-haul.

Karl

tod evans
11-09-2005, 9:39 AM
6 grand.......................two trips.................lets see?

Scott Loven
11-09-2005, 9:43 AM
Sell the heavy stuff and buy new/used when you get up tp Wisconsin. Plenty of heavy iron for sale in the area.

Hire a bunch of the green Bay packers, most of them should be out of work soon!

Do you have a job now? If so you could talk to your shipping department and see if they could get you better rates. Mine can get rates that are less then half of what I can get on my own.
Scott

Mark Patoka
11-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Hire a bunch of the green Bay packers, most of them should be out of work soon!

First you'd have to find some players that aren't injured, recovering from surgery, on crutches, etc. Otherwise it won't be long and they'll have plenty of free time after Jan. 1.

I agree, it might be more economical to sell and buy new when you get to the new place unless you have something that's just not replaceable.

Gary Curtis
11-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Here's some numbers to consider. I just shipped 4000# of tile via FedEx freight. $670 for a 250-mile conveyance. Shipped a 153# bathtub 670 miles for $80. My estimate would be 50 cents a pound. My new table saw and dust collector are making the same trip on FedEx for $230. 1000#.

I know this stuff because I am building a house 640 miles to the north of me. I retired from FedEx, and though I worked in Flight Operations, I have friends and can ask questions.

A trucking company using liftgates will insist on pallets. If you find a smaller company without the gate, you would have to provide a forklift on both ends. The tile shipment was relatively cheap because I offloaded at a lumber company and used their forklift. Big difference. I would make 20 phone calls to shippers of other commodities to see if they have empty trucks going one way. The trouble is, the traffic is going the wrong way -- produce and veggies outbound, nothing inbound.

Moving companies are your last resource because of expense. As to trailers, see if you can rent a large flatbed. You can often find them parked behind some big factoryby driving around in an industrial area . Knock on a door, and there you go. We are thinking of pods because of the convenience offloading and unpacking. That would be for personal effects. Don't have a price on that.

Good luck.

Gary Curtis

Gary Curtis
11-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Sorry, I had that backwards. I company WITHOUT liftgates will insist on a forklift. No matter what kind of trucke, at least rent a pallet jack.

Gary Curtis

Joe Scarfo
11-09-2005, 9:22 PM
I've figured it out with help from my woodworking buddies.

I contacted ABF They back up a 28' trailer. You load it.. They deliver it.. You unload it.. I purch 19' space in the trailer for appx $1700. Each add'l foot is 80. if I over estimated, the price is reduced each 80' foot.

It's an awsome solution...

Thanks to everyone for your advise...

Joe

Richard Wolf
11-09-2005, 9:52 PM
Joe, that sound like a great solution. How much time will they give you to load?

Richard