PDA

View Full Version : STANLEY 45 or 55? your preference?

Jerry Olexa
01-16-2018, 9:44 PM
Have opportunity to buy a Stanley #45 combination plane set with cutters, cutter boxes and master box ...Appears very good condition but have not physically seen yet.My question is which is the better of the 2 Stanley comb plane offerings (45 or 55)? Should I hold off and later look for a #55 or pursue this offering?
In your opinion, which of the 2 do you prefer and advantages/disadvantages of each? I realize the #55 was the "improved" version with more planing possibilities and advantages. Is that marketing hype or genuine?
I'll hold off on my decision till I hear your input/comments....Thanks in advance...

Bill Houghton
01-16-2018, 9:52 PM
I own but haven't had occasion to use a 55; it's way more complex than a 45, and seems to call for more skill in use. I'd go for the 45.

Patrick Chase
01-16-2018, 10:20 PM
I have a 55, I've used the 45, and I have the Veritas Combo which is basically an updated 45 with similar capabilities.

The single most important difference between the 45 and 55 is that the 55's second skate is adjustable in height as well as width, and that allows you to make cuts that aren't the same depth on the left and right edges or where the center is deeper than either edge. Hollows, rounds, and most complex profiles fit into that category. This is probably easiest to see by looking at some of the figures in the 55's manual (http://tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/comb-planes/55man.pdf). Some examples:

Figures 5, 6, and 7 on p. 5 (square, beading, and fluting cutters) have both skates at the same height and show irons that work with both the 45 and 55.
Figures 8 and 9 on p. 5 (round and ogee cutters) have the skates at different heights, and show cuts that are only possible with the 55 (or using fairly advanced hacks with the 45). Figure 9 also shows the 55's third/auxiliary C-skate in use.
Figure 26 on p. 11 (beading) has both skates at the same height and works on both planes.
Figure 52 on p. 16 (hollow) and figures 63-68 on p. 17 (a bunch of complex profiles) have the skates at different heights, and only work with the 55.

The 55 also has tilting fences that allow it to cut at an angle as shown in figures 41 and 45.

The tradeoff is that the 55 is a rather finicky plane to set up. In particular if you want to make simple cuts with it that would work "out of the box" with the 45, then you have to remember to set the fence perfectly parallel to the iron and to set the second skate at the same depth as the main skate. Getting either of those wrong can cause the plane to bind or produce "unexpected" results. There are also a lot more parts to keep track of and attach/remove as needed.

It seems to me that a lot of the people around here who have 55s also (like me) have 45-class planes, which should tell you something important about the 55's usability for simple work.

steven c newman
01-16-2018, 10:22 PM
I use the 45...a lot. Get the 45 now...bide your time until a 55 comes along.....for about the same deal.

Derek Cohen
01-17-2018, 12:51 AM
Have opportunity to buy a Stanley #45 combination plane set with cutters, cutter boxes and master box ...Appears very good condition but have not physically seen yet.My question is which is the better of the 2 Stanley comb plane offerings (45 or 55)? Should I hold off and later look for a #55 or pursue this offering?
In your opinion, which of the 2 do you prefer and advantages/disadvantages of each? I realize the #55 was the "improved" version with more planing possibilities and advantages. Is that marketing hype or genuine?
I'll hold off on my decision till I hear your input/comments....Thanks in advance...

The question is, Jerry, what would you want to use the plane to do? That will influence any advice. It is possible that neither plane may be suitable.

Regards from Perth

Derek

ken hatch
01-17-2018, 10:04 AM
The question is, Jerry, what would you want to use the plane to do? That will influence any advice. It is possible that neither plane may be suitable.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ain't that the truth.

If you just want a plow plane there are simpler metal plows from either LV or LN that will work better and I expect are close to the same price. If you want a really good plow find a wood stock plow from before the turn of last century or if you have unlimited funds, IIRC, a friend of Derek's makes a beautiful one.

ken

lowell holmes
01-17-2018, 10:44 AM
I don't know why I'm responding to this string. I don't have either plane, I always wanted one, but never able to find one.
I resorted to a Veritas small plow plane with all of the cutters they offer.

It does a nice job within the capabilities of the cutters.

Jerry Olexa
01-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Derek and Ken: Always wanted one mainly for all the "other" things it can do: beading, match, slitting etc..New avenue for me...Haven't tried yet but looking forward to the new adventure/possibilities..As is often said here "Its a slippery slope" and leads to temptations such as this..thanks

Jerry Olexa
01-17-2018, 10:59 AM
Sounding like the 45 is easier and simpler to use while the 55 can do more but requires complex set ups.. Am I right? Thanks for your many suggestions..I plan to pull the trigger by Friday and will continue to read this thread...Appreciate your timely advice.Thnx

steven c newman
01-17-2018, 11:06 AM
The 45 is easier..after all, I learned how to use it.....anyone can.

Jim Koepke
01-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Some will say learning to use the #45 is a prerequisite to using the #55. There is one #55 in my shop and four #45s that get used.

For most things one of the #45s is used. Recently a #50 was purchased. It is set up to do the 1/4" plow work like box and drawer bottoms.

For all but the complex shapes the #55 stays on the shelf. It is a bit fussier than the #45 to get working.

My advice is to purchase the #45 being offered if it is at a good price.

jtk

Ted Phillips
01-17-2018, 4:50 PM
My life is already too complicated to handle a #55... :cool:

TedP

Don Dorn
01-17-2018, 5:38 PM
I have a 44, 45 & 2 50s. For a plough, the 44 is my favorite. One 50 is pre-set as a beader and the other really isn't used. I'm afraid to say that the 45 was free (to me) is original in original box and other than playing with a little, it remains there. I need to dig it out and play with it a little. Always thought that if I wanted to go with a bit bigger plough, I'd put the other 50 to work. May re-think that.

Hasin Haroon
01-17-2018, 6:22 PM
I haven't ever used a 55, but I don't think I would enjoy it - the simpler the better in my opinion.

Jerry Olexa
01-17-2018, 9:10 PM
Thanks to your good advice, I bought the Stanley 45 set today....Thanks again.

Jim Koepke
01-17-2018, 9:41 PM
Thanks to your good advice, I bought the Stanley 45 set today....Thanks again.

Are you willing to tell us how much it was?

Can you post pictures?

It is always fun to see if it can be determined when it was made.

jtk

Jerry Olexa
01-18-2018, 11:13 AM
To show "it actually happened" here are pics:

Along with tool , cutters and accessories came 2 wooden STANLEY boxes for storage of cutters and a master box (homemade I believe) to hold everything.
Asking price was $175 and I paid slightly less...I'm looking forward to trying these out later today..thanks for your help.

Jim Koepke
01-18-2018, 12:53 PM
If my memory is working that is an early type 11 from about 1910. The fence lock bolt is above the adjustment screw.

It was later changed to the side. Having never used one of these it is impossible for me to say if the fence is solid with this arrangement.

Looks like you also have all the cutters. Usually the 1/8" and the slitter are missing.

Looks like you also received a fence for a #78.

jtk

Patrick Chase
01-18-2018, 1:20 PM
If my memory is working that is an early type 11 from about 1910. The fence lock bolt is above the adjustment screw.

Also, it appears to have the old-style sliding nicker, which likewise dates it to that period. It's about the same age as my 55.

Jim Koepke
01-18-2018, 1:25 PM
Also, it appears to have the old-style sliding nicker, which likewise dates it to that period. It's about the same age as my 55.

My eyes must be bad or something. None of the knickers are visible on my screen.

My memory must also be fading. Have to look in the shop later as my recollection is of my type 4 #45 having cloverleaf style nickers.

jtk

Jerry Olexa
01-18-2018, 1:40 PM
Looks like you also received a fence for a #78.

jtk

Thought that fence looked familiar...I have a #78 without a fence, so...Thanks Jim..

Patrick Chase
01-18-2018, 2:28 PM
My eyes must be bad or something. None of the knickers are visible on my screen.

My memory must also be fading. Have to look in the shop later as my recollection is of my type 4 #45 having cloverleaf style nickers.

jtk

Hmm, I may have misidentified it. I admittedly had to zoom way in and "interpolate" a bit in the first photo to find the nicker.

Looks at type study... You're right, I hallucinated from staring too much at zoomed-in images. The 45 *always* had the cloverleaf. It was the 55 that started with the sliding nicker and then switched just after that time period.

Jerry Olexa
01-18-2018, 2:28 PM
Do you guys see any missing parts noticeable in the pictures? I had to take a leap of faith and move quickly..
Felt it was reasonable price for that quality..
Most STANLEY 45's I've seen for sale have fair amount of rust, chipped nickel plating and incomplete set of cutters...Not surprising considering age of the tool..Many are also missing the wooden Stanley boxes for cutter storage..
So I pulled the trigger.....As the saying goes " act in haste, repent at leisure"..

steven c newman
01-18-2018, 4:26 PM
Looks good to me....might hunt around for a set of the long rods....There is also a depth stop for the 78 sitting by the fence. Sharpen them up, and put it to work!

Hmmm...depth stops? Looks like one on the main stock. Can't tell if there is one for the slitter. There should be one one the moving stock....might be because the beading stop was used?

lowell holmes
01-19-2018, 11:02 AM
Unless I stumble across one that is available and reasonable, I'll be content with my Veritas plow plane with all of the cutters.

ken hatch
01-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Our local Woodcraft is having a parking lot tool exchange tomorrow. I expect I will set up a table with a boat load of unused and unneeded tools. One of which is a Stanley 45 with all the cutters and in the original wood box. I've been toting that thing around for close to 40 years and I'm tired of the toting. BTW, I just added another wood stock plow and it sure is pretty.

ken

Erik Manchester
01-26-2018, 6:16 PM
I had several 45, a 46 and a 55 with all cutters, etc.

Sold the 46 and 55 to collectors and bought the Veritas plow plane instead.

Very happy with that decision.

Jim Koepke
01-27-2018, 1:40 AM
Okay Jerry you have had that plane for more than a week now, have you had any fun with it?

jtk

Jerry Olexa
01-27-2018, 11:24 PM
Okay Jerry you have had that plane for more than a week now, have you had any fun with it?

jtk

Jim, Sadly, no....Been busy with non-woodworking tasks that keep getting in the way...I'm very itchy though..

Jim Koepke
01-28-2018, 12:11 AM
Jim, Sadly, no....Been busy with non-woodworking tasks that keep getting in the way...I'm very itchy though..

Sometimes my feelings get all itchy too when everything else gets in the way of having some fun in the shop?

jtk