PDA

View Full Version : Turning Ebony...

Jeremiah Jordan
11-09-2005, 7:27 AM
This is my first time to be turning ebony for a friend of mine at college who ordered some pens. I have the tubes glued in. Is there any other little tricks of the trade that I should know about such as finishing or anything like that before i turn them tonight?

Thanks

Jeremiah.

John Hart
11-09-2005, 7:49 AM
Jeremiah,

I love to turn ebony because it is so tight that it polishes like glass without finish. Then the finish is icing on the cake. I've heard (but never experienced) that ebony will crack over time if used for a pen. Perhaps they did it wrong....I dunno. I suggest something clear like laquer. It seems that the amber finishes will show a mild brown hue over the jet black of the wood....especially shellac. If cracking is a potential problem in the future....maybe some CA underneath. Good luck.

Blake McCully
11-09-2005, 9:21 AM
[QUOTE=John Hart]I've heard (but never experienced) that ebony will crack over time if used for a pen.[QUOTE]

John is right, we've made 5 pens using ebony, four cracked. The only one that didn't was a slim line my wife made for our niece. She used ebony and holly (ebony and ivory:D ) the ebony was on the bottom or nib end. I made a platinum gent's pen to show a potential customer. Got it turned and finished, and John is also correct there it finishes like a dream, and put together. It was gorgeous if I say so myself. By the time I got it to work, the cap blank had split the entire length.

The only time I use ebony now is for finials and accents, but I still love it. I have heard that African black wood is like ebony but doesn't have that same probelm. (Duh, I though African black wood and ebony were the same:eek: ). I've also had great success using macasar ebony. It has brown highlights through it but it is nice.

Don't want to discourage you Jeremiah, but be cautious. I haven't talked with anyone who REALLY knows why ebony cracks like it does, but there are as many theories as there are failed ventures.

Have fun, let's hear about your results and some pics.

Keith Burns
11-09-2005, 10:01 AM
I've done 2 slimlines and they split. Did one european and it cracked about a 1/4" at the nib end (not very noticeable). I've never used a ca finish but wonder if it would keep it fromn cracking.

Jeremiah Jordan
11-09-2005, 3:43 PM
Thanks guys for your help. Since I am at home right now, I am heading out to the shop to turn it. I am going to do a quick google search on CA finishing see if that would help, and also to see if i could use a thick CA instead of a thin. Pics should be up tonight!

Jeremiah

Dennis Peacock
11-09-2005, 6:06 PM
You can use African Blackwood which is not a true ebony, but it is very black in color and turns a LOT better than ebony...and it will not split on ya either.:D

Jeremiah Jordan
11-09-2005, 9:29 PM
Alright you guys, here is the news.... the blank split on me, surprise surprise. I so so so do not like the way it turns either. I am going to have to try some blackwood to se if it is any better or not. Oh well, nother lesson learned. But I do have some olive wood blanks lined up and ready to turn. Thanks for all the help.

Jeremiah

Michael Cody
11-09-2005, 9:38 PM
This is my first time to be turning ebony for a friend of mine at college who ordered some pens. I have the tubes glued in. Is there any other little tricks of the trade that I should know about such as finishing or anything like that before i turn them tonight?

Little late I know, but for future reference -- I too try to avoid ebony, using it only as accents, etc.. but I have a turned a few pens.. the trick here is not get it hot! Since it turns so smooth, I only wet sand w/oil on all stages up to 1200g silcar paper (no micromesh though it would seem to be the right thing to use but I won't put oil on it)... then polish with a cloth -- very lightly. Then I buff (again lightly) w/beal buffing system. I still get 20-30% cracking. Also be very very very very careful when pressing in the pen parts, as that can cause cracks easily.

Using a flexible glue is good too, leaving some oversize in the tube holes and using a soft glue like poly glue. You want some give in it.

Tom Mullane
11-10-2005, 7:28 AM
Ebony is an extremely oil wood and prone to cracks when heated from drilling or using a friction polish or any finish that creates heat (CA finishes create heat).
The big secrets to making ebony pens that do not crack is drilling at low speed and in small increments... I generally clear chips on ebony every 1/4" of drilling and allow the bit to cool a bit before drilling again...
As for finishing ebony... sanding creates heat, so sand gently and allow the blank to cool often....
I do not use any finish on ebony... I wet sand it to 12000 grit MicroMesh and leave it alone... the oils in ebony will impart a beautiful patina to the pen from the natural oils and the oils in the hand of the eventual user..
Using the above techniques, I have never had an ebony pen crack...

Jeremiah Jordan
11-10-2005, 9:02 AM
I do have another set of blanks partlially made up, I will give it another try tonight or tomarrow. But for sure, I will be able to the the olivewood turned tonight.