PDA

View Full Version : Laminating 1/8" Solid Wood (Solid Wood Plywood)

Bryan Cramer
01-16-2018, 6:13 PM
I have some scroll saw work I want to do with 3/8" stock for a furniture project. I want the edges to look as close to solid stock as possible, but I need more strength because of the many short grain spots. Would I run into any wood issues by laminating 3 1/8" plys together? The outer two would run one direction and the inner would run 90* to the outer plys. The blank would be about 16" by 21". I would edge glue the panels up and then vacuum press the layers together. I attached a picture of the pattern.

Thanks!376643

Jim Becker
01-16-2018, 7:48 PM
That's pretty much how plywood is made and with 1/8" layers and a relatively thin end thickness, you shouldn't experience much wood movement issue, if any.

Jeff Duncan
01-17-2018, 10:01 PM
Yup, that's pretty much the way to do it! I've done in it the past to repair furniture which was originally built that way, though I used more thinner plies, same basic results.

good luck,
JeffD

Mel Fulks
01-17-2018, 10:58 PM
Agree with all. But consider the type of use as well as fragility. There are 18th century tea tables with much thinner fretwork. Unless it's a utility piece I would not consider how well it hold up. Only what is light and beautiful.