PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell Model 10 and a Powermatic 66

Neil McCreery
01-16-2018, 4:17 PM
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to get ya'lls thoughts. I picked up a '79 Rockwell/Delta Model 10 contractors saw last week for $100, good condition, no rust. With a new belt, new switch, PALS for adjustments and dust hood purchase I'm into it for $155. It's perfectly aligned with miter slots, jet lock fence is what it is.

Today I saw a 1985 Powermatic 66 for $300 on my local CL. Contacted the guy and went to pick it up. He had someone call in and "reserve" it for $350 but put me next on the list. Other guy couldn't pick it up until afternoon so he told me I could come back and get it for $350 - I did. It's a 5HP 3ph motor, came with a biesemeyer style fence. Needs a little clean-up work (fence doesn't lock properly, very minor surface rust on table, etc. - it's all fixable).

I'm thinking of trying to re-sell the Rockwell (maybe get $300-$350 out of it?) and pick up a VFD since I don't have 3 phase in my shop. I've been reading up on RPC vs VFD and since this is the only 3ph tool I plan to get VFD seems like the way to go. I guess I could also find a 3HP 1ph motor and swap it out. The 5HP does scare me a little (way bigger than I'll ever need) - riving knife is in my future for sure. Thoughts?

Neil McCreery
01-16-2018, 4:19 PM
Powermatic 66 Pics

Marty Schlosser
01-16-2018, 5:08 PM
Nice looking Powermatic you have there, Neil. You could certainly consider selling the 3ph motor and plunking in a 3hp, 1 ph motor in its place if you feel you'll never require so much "oomph". Notwithstanding, a VFD would certainly do the trick if you want to keep that motor and are convinced you're not planning to have any further 3ph machines in the shop.

BTW, I have a VFD driving the 5hp motor in my 18" planer and it works like a charm. I purchased it from Jack Forsberg; ph 613-298-7507 here in the Ottawa, Canada area. His prices were significantly better than anywhere else I could find, and he was outstanding when it came to walking me through setting it up.

Bruce Wrenn
01-17-2018, 8:57 PM
The PM 66 used a standard NEMA 56-C motor. Most motor shops could get you a rebuilt motor, if new is out of your budget.

Matt Day
01-18-2018, 8:36 AM
I don’t think you can add a riving knife to a 66, a splitter yes like shark guard (see other thread going about riving knives).

Getting $300 for your contractors saw might be pushing it. I’d start at $250 and negotiate.

Nice score by the way!

Dave Cav
01-18-2018, 1:52 PM
Get the PM, clean it up (new arbor bearings and motor bearings), add a 3 HP TECO VFD, sell the contractor's saw and don't look back. A 3 HP VFD is plenty for a 5 HP table saw; I have been running a 3 HP VFD on my 5 HP Delta 12/14" table saw (including a 14" blade occasionally) with no problems at all. Lots of threads on the subject over at OWWM.

No riving knife available for the PM as far as I know (maybe the Shark Guard people have something) but yes you do need a splitter; if you can find a used Biesmeyer Snap In Splitter, they are very convenient.

Neil McCreery
01-25-2018, 4:07 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'd be crazy to let the PM go at this point. I think I can get over $300 for the contractor's saw. There's currently a Model 10 in my area listed for $350 and there's one about an hour away listed for $400. Neither have dust collection, PALS or zero clearance inserts included.

As far as the PM goes I've torn it all the way down. I should have my arbor and motor bearings by the end of the day and I paste waxed all the moving parts (most were really squeaky). I had to pull apart the pivot arm completely and polish the shaft and housing holes to get it moving again. For the time being, I'm going to go with a static phase converter (done a lot of reading on it) with a plan to convert to a RPC in the future. VFDs seem overpriced and unnecessary. I got everything I need for both the RPC and SPC for about $75 from amazon and Supplyhouse. The belts were split all over (some splits were about 3/4 of thickness of the belt) so I got all new ones.

Rick Christopherson has a really good write up on both SPC and RPC here (http://www.waterfront-woods.com/Articles/phaseconverter.htm).
This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u229h7NcMxk)guy has a really great video walkthrough of these concepts and it includes overload protection on both sides.

Ted Derryberry
01-25-2018, 4:42 PM
Asking and getting are two different things.

scott spencer
01-26-2018, 7:37 AM
Definitely keep the PM66. The Rockwell was a great buy at $155 IMO, but in my area they take a long time to sell for much over $200-$250 with that fence. Can't hurt to aim high, but the market will let you know.

Mike Manning
01-26-2018, 10:25 AM
Definitely post pics of the cleaned up PM66 when you're done! Congrats on the nice pickup!

Neil McCreery
01-26-2018, 12:07 PM
Asking and getting are two different things.

Fair point. Time will tell.