PDA

View Full Version : SCMS problem

Izzy Camire
01-16-2018, 2:59 PM
Hi Folks,
I have a Hitachi 10" SCMS saw. The blade brake is no longer working. I am going to look into it but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with blade brakes? The saw has had decent amount of use and I am wondering if sawdust has made its way into an area it should not be. Any input would be welcome.
Izzy

Matt Day
01-16-2018, 3:24 PM
Have you called hitachi? That’d be my first step.

Izzy Camire
01-17-2018, 12:03 PM
Ya Matt that is a good idea. I'll do that.

Izzy Camire
02-13-2018, 3:04 PM
I did call Hitachi and the rep suggested brushes, switch, and armature in that order as the cost increases with each.
I put in new brushes my saw works perfectly again.

Jim Becker
02-13-2018, 5:28 PM
I was just going to say "check the brushes"...from experience, my old Delta behaves the same and braking starts to suffer when the brushes are getting to end-of-life. 'Glad it fixed things for you!

Michael Pyron
02-14-2018, 8:28 PM
I was just going to say "check the brushes"...from experience, my old Delta behaves the same and braking starts to suffer when the brushes are getting to end-of-life. 'Glad it fixed things for you!

this can also happen when one side of the brushes get's burned...pull them and rotate them 90* and this solves the issue if the brushes still have life to them.

DeWalt products behave differently and just stop working before this happens...

Izzy Camire
02-15-2018, 3:30 PM
When I pulled the brushes I found the front one stuck. Pulled some and it wouldn't come out. I said hmmm if it is stuck it probably cannot move inward to the armature. Opened the back one and it came right out. Finally got the front one out and it had a tad of corrosion. No question that was it. I am happy I fixed it for little money.