PDA

View Full Version : Wixey Digital Angle Guage

Scott Adams
01-14-2018, 11:32 PM
Hey, getting more into woodworking--most of what I have been invloved in is bigger remodeling construction projects. I am about done with that sort of thing and moving into finer smaller projects. I have seen one of these digital gauges on Amazona and they great reviews. Is it worth getting?

Paul F Franklin
01-14-2018, 11:59 PM
For the money, I find it pretty useful, in woodworking and in remodeling/construction work.

I use it a quick setup check on machines like the table saw and especially my compound miter saw. Put it on the table, zero it, then put it on the blade and check 0 and 45 stops.
If it shows the stops are out, I still tend to use a square and miter square to do the actual adjustments; they are my trusted references. But the gauge is fast for a quick check.
Of course the ultimate check is a test cut.
Very handy when tilting the drill press table; the scales on them are usually pretty bad.
For construction, it's a quick way to check the slope on plumbing drains, measuring roof pitch...etc.
IIRC, the first version used a coin cell battery that went dead pretty fast. Later model uses AA or AAA; that's the one you want.

Scott Adams
01-15-2018, 12:30 AM
Well that's enough for me. I'm sold. Thanks for the input.

Mike Manning
01-15-2018, 12:55 AM
For the money, I find it pretty useful, in woodworking and in remodeling/construction work.

I use it a quick setup check on machines like the table saw and especially my compound miter saw. Put it on the table, zero it, then put it on the blade and check 0 and 45 stops.
If it shows the stops are out, I still tend to use a square and miter square to do the actual adjustments; they are my trusted references. But the gauge is fast for a quick check.
Of course the ultimate check is a test cut.
Very handy when tilting the drill press table; the scales on them are usually pretty bad.
For construction, it's a quick way to check the slope on plumbing drains, measuring roof pitch...etc.
IIRC, the first version used a coin cell battery that went dead pretty fast. Later model uses AA or AAA; that's the one you want.

Paul,
I've got a Wixey as well and love it. But your comment about using it for tilting your drill press table had me thinking "what a great idea!". I've only used it on my table saw and my saw top is the baseline. Doesn't matter if it's flat in the real world all that matters is that the blade is 90° to the tabletop. It seems to me to be the reverse with the drill press where the chuck and the drill bit are your baseline and the tabletop has to be 90° to those. I usually have use one of my Starrett squares but my eyesight isn't what it used to be and trying to see if the blade of the square is flush to a drill bit along it's length with the unbroken edges of a drill bit makes it difficult for me. I've never been 100% confident my tabletop is dead on perpendicular to the chuck/bit.

Hopefully, I'm making myself clear. In that scenario, what is your procedure for that?

Not trying to highjack your thread Scott! My apologies but this could be useful for both of us? ;-)

Lee Schierer
01-15-2018, 7:13 AM
I have the original Beall Tilt Box and use it whenever I need to tilt my blade or come back to 90 on my table saw. I also use it to check other tools. I've compared it to using squares and drafting triangles and it seems to be at least as accurate but much quicker to use.

Frederick Skelly
01-15-2018, 8:26 AM
I have one and love it. Take out the battery after each use.

Al Launier
01-15-2018, 8:38 AM
To answer your question, YES!

Ted Derryberry
01-15-2018, 9:07 AM
It's all I use to set the angle on my table saw. IGaging has one that's rechargeable through a USB port and has batteries on three sides. I use it more than my old Wixey (which I just checked and had a dead battery).

roger wiegand
01-15-2018, 9:10 AM
I have the Tilt Box II and find it very useful. It doesn't eat up batteries the way some others apparently do. I may have changed the battery once in the last decade.

Grant Wilkinson
01-15-2018, 9:36 AM
Mike: I can't speak for how Paul uses his on his drill press, but I have a Beall tilt box that I use on mine. I put the 1/2" transfer punch in my drill chuck and stick the box onto it. I can then zero out the box, put it onto the drill press table and tilt to where I like. As you said, it's just the opposite of the table saw set up. The transfer punch set is useful for many things and they are not expensive.

Simon MacGowen
01-15-2018, 9:49 AM
Hey, getting more into woodworking--most of what I have been invloved in is bigger remodeling construction projects. I am about done with that sort of thing and moving into finer smaller projects. I have seen one of these digital gauges on Amazona and they great reviews. Is it worth getting?

For general use, yes. But as someone pointed out, for super accurate cuts, you still need to make test cuts. Mine (tilt box 2) is accurate to 0.2*. You should get the more expensive version (WR365) which has a + or - 0.1* accuracy.

Simon

Paul F Franklin
01-15-2018, 10:14 AM
Transfer punch is a good idea. I usually just lower the quill a few inches and lock it, then stick the box to the quill and zero the reading, then check the table. Of course, you have to use a little care so the box is on the side of the quill (or punch), otherwise your reading will be thrown off if your press happens to lean forward or back.

Stan Calow
01-15-2018, 10:42 AM
I have one and its been very useful tool. Helped me identify a problem keeping tablesaw and mitersaw blades at 90. Easy to recheck setup periodically. Whether its the best such device, I can't say. It does eat batteries.

Ted Derryberry
01-15-2018, 11:57 AM
The most accurate way to check a drill press is to "tram" it. Basically rig up a dial indicator on the end of small board with a shaft on the other end which you can put in the chuck. Turn the chuck (by hand, drill unplugged) checking the reading on the dial indicator against the table all the way around. This will tell you if your table is tilted side to side and/or front to back. Google "tramming a drill press" and you'll find videos and articles.

This is the same method used to make sure spindles/router motors are perpendicular to the bed of a CNC machine.

Art Mann
01-15-2018, 12:37 PM
I have the standard Wixey tilt angle gauge and also the digital readout for my planer. I would hate to do without either one.

Scott Adams
01-15-2018, 11:32 PM
Not trying to highjack your thread Scott! My apologies but this could be useful for both of us? ;-)
Paul, you're not hijacking a dang thing! I found it insightful. Helped me think of a few other uses. Thanks everyone for your input. I looks as though that one will stay in my Amazon cart!

Rich Engelhardt
01-16-2018, 6:18 AM
I have one and love it. Take out the battery after each use.Bingo!
I have two digital protractors, a tilt box and three or four digital calipers.
I love them all.

I do remove the button batteries!

Curt Harms
01-16-2018, 11:46 AM
I have one and love it. Take out the battery after each use.

Exactly. The issue for me appeared to be that the Wixey 'woke up' every time the drawer in which it was kept was opened or closed. I assume that's why the battery life was awful. I don't use mine often so inserting/removing the coin battery isn't that big a deal. I did have to bend the contacts in the battery case a little to insure solid contact but again, no big deal. iGaging is another source, I don't know how prices compare.