PDA

View Full Version : Tree caliper

mark kosse
01-14-2018, 12:11 PM
Howdy folks, Many times in my woodworking I find myself needing to harvest a certain size tree. Sometimes I just want to know how big a tree is. I decided to finally do something about it the other day and came up with this.

mark kosse
01-14-2018, 12:15 PM
376282The handle allows you to size in 2" increments.

mark kosse
01-14-2018, 12:18 PM
I skewed the measurements around the side of the handle to make them easier to see.

Al Launier
01-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Neat! Handy Dandy!

Lee Schierer
01-14-2018, 6:50 PM
I give up, how does it work.

mark kosse
01-16-2018, 10:30 AM
Like a caliper? You open it up, put it on the tree and find what size diameter it is.

Anyone who might need something like this if I was to do it again I'd lengthen the front pieces. Mine are about 6" long. I'd lengthen that to 10 or 12". When I measure trees 32" + the caliper sides kinda get in the way. If the tips were longer it would solve that.

All in all it took me 30minutes to build these. That included having to cut 1,5" aluminum angle into 1" flat bar and ripping the 2X4. its been fun checking my trees. I have a ERC that is 34" and many that are 28"+. Those are some nice ERC. When I build these benches I consider 14" about right. Now I know for sure when I'm looking.

david privett
01-17-2018, 9:56 AM
I know people have had problems with picture orientation on this site but the first think I thought was I wonder if gravity works differently on your planet ha ha ha ha nice bench like the simple legs and termite control blocks

Dale Stansbery
01-19-2018, 5:51 PM
They do make tape measures that convert to diameter when you wrap them around the circumference, since trees are rarely perfectly round. Foresters use them to calculate tree volume. However. If you need an absolute measurement for the widest part of a tree trunk, then a caliper would work.

mark kosse
01-19-2018, 6:42 PM
Trying to wrap a tape measure around a 34" trunk solo doesn't sound fun. Besides that this was built from scrap 2x4, Extra aluminum angle and a bolt and nut, so the cost was virtually zero. I don't need to know volume. I simply need to know a, will it fit my needs and b. Will my saw be able to mill it.

John K Jordan
01-19-2018, 10:13 PM
They do make tape measures that convert to diameter when you wrap them around the circumference, since trees are rarely perfectly round. Foresters use them to calculate tree volume. However. If you need an absolute measurement for the widest part of a tree trunk, then a caliper would work.

There are calibrated sticks that can measure diameter. Can measure height too. Look up "Biltmore stick."

This page has a good diagram with how it works.
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-560/420-560.html

These are used to estimate the board feet in a log. The caliper would be more accurate.

Al Launier
01-24-2018, 9:29 AM
There are Pi tapes that you could use. It's a steel tape that wraps around a circular object & gives you the diameter. The only downside is that you would have to wrap it around the tree and that could be problematic on larger trees trying to reach around to grab the other end of the tape.

So, your idea of a large caliper is a good one. Well done.

John K Jordan
01-24-2018, 5:40 PM
There are Pi tapes that you could use. It's a steel tape that wraps around a circular object & gives you the diameter. The only downside is that you would have to wrap it around the tree and that could be problematic on larger trees trying to reach around to grab the other end of the tape.

One way is to hold the end of the tape with a gimlet or something inserted into the bark or crevice then walk around the tree with the rest of the tape. A cloth tape works better than a steel tape. I've measured trees on my property about 12' in circumference this way.