PDA

View Full Version : Hate when that happens...

Phil Mueller
01-13-2018, 11:55 PM
Picture says it all

Talk about a total lack of focus. “Hey, honey, look at this nice piece of kindling I just made”

Andrew Seemann
01-14-2018, 12:21 AM
I'm certainly not throwing any stones. I've made enough mirror images of parts to live in a house made mirrors:)

David Eisenhauer
01-14-2018, 1:23 AM
Don't even feel like the Lone Ranger.

Lee Schierer
01-14-2018, 7:36 AM
Been there done that, maybe we should make T-shirts for the club.

Frederick Skelly
01-14-2018, 8:30 AM
Oh. Crap.
Yeah, I've done that.

brian zawatsky
01-14-2018, 9:42 AM
Drives me nuts when I do things like that. Space cadet moments.

Bill Houghton
01-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Been there done that, maybe we should make T-shirts for the club.

With the logo printed upside down and on the side, under one of the sleeves.

Jim Koepke
01-14-2018, 10:56 AM
Been there, done that, cut off the mistake and made a smaller box.

jtk

Bob Glenn
01-14-2018, 11:15 AM
I keep my mistakes and hang them up on the shop wall as a reminder for the future. Running out of wall space though!

Jerry Olexa
01-14-2018, 12:44 PM
I feel your pain...:)

David Eisenhauer
01-14-2018, 12:57 PM
Good one Bill.

Kevin Smira
01-14-2018, 5:26 PM
Just cut the angle off and make hand cut box joints boxes...

Leo Graywacz
01-14-2018, 6:24 PM
Not a mistake. It's a practice pc.:D

Phil Mueller
01-14-2018, 7:48 PM
Glad to know I’m in good company. If you make the T-shirts, please count me in. This was for the back of a drawer, so didn’t leave me any options. But trust me, after the initial shock, my first thought was how can I make this work. Just wasn’t a good answer. Take another hour or so, thickness plane some more stock, cut it to length and redo it.

Back in business...and yes, it was good practice! And yes, it’s up on the shelf...need a good reminder from time to time.

James Pallas
01-14-2018, 8:06 PM
You did well Phil. When I do that I usually cut great tails on the back and start the pins on the side. It is only then that reality sets in. I can usually at least save the side by cutting it down and making a back out of it. Tried to save a few of those but the pile got larger than I could store. One of these days I learn to mark parts, maybe.
Jim

Andrew Pitonyak
01-14-2018, 10:37 PM
I have made some doozies myself, but not that one..... Just one more thing to look forward to doing in the future..... :D

For reasons I am a bit ashamed to admit to, I am usually mark the waste that I need to remove rather than just making lines then cutting it out.... Last time I cut out the wrong part, it was on a rather nice piece of wood.... was sad about that.

Rob Luter
01-15-2018, 8:20 AM
Glad to know I’m in good company. If you make the T-shirts, please count me in. This was for the back of a drawer, so didn’t leave me any options. But trust me, after the initial shock, my first thought was how can I make this work. Just wasn’t a good answer. Take another hour or so, thickness plane some more stock, cut it to length and redo it.

Back in business...and yes, it was good practice! And yes, it’s up on the shelf...need a good reminder from time to time.

OK, I'll bite. What's wrong? Didn't offset the dovetails so you could slide a bottom in?

Chet R Parks
01-15-2018, 8:34 AM
Rob, when he cut the pins he marked and cut one end from the outside of the board and the other end he marked and cut them from the inside.

Rob Luter
01-15-2018, 9:34 AM
Rob, when he cut the pins he marked and cut one end from the outside of the board and the other end he marked and cut them from the inside.

I guess I'm not seeing it. Proof I have much to learn :o

Simon MacGowen
01-15-2018, 12:56 PM
Would it be too late to change the dimension of the build...and trim one end off and restart?

I have done a similar fix before.

Simon

Tom Stenzel
01-15-2018, 1:08 PM
I don't see the problem at all. You just invented the new pushmepullyou dovetail. It's just a matter of defining success. Really.

It's a good thing that I never ever makes mistakes like that. Not me. Never. It's also a good thing my fire pot tells no tales.

-Tom

Phil Mueller
01-15-2018, 1:36 PM
LOL, Tom......

John Schtrumpf
01-15-2018, 2:10 PM

OK, I'll bite. What's wrong? Didn't offset the dovetails so you could slide a bottom in?

Rob, you had me going until Phil (the op) posted again. The post you quoted shows the fixed/correct piece. To see the bad piece, the picture is in post #1:

Picture says it all

Talk about a total lack of focus. “Hey, honey, look at this nice piece of kindling I just made”

Rob Luter
01-16-2018, 12:53 PM
Rob, you had me going until Phil (the op) posted again. The post you quoted shows the fixed/correct piece. To see the bad piece, the picture is in post #1:

Thanks goodness. I feel like less of an idiot now :D

The first photo (post #1) tells the tale very clearly. I studied the photo below long and hard and could't find a thing wrong with it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=376351&d=1515977258

Phil Mueller
01-16-2018, 2:17 PM
Rob, I really do appreciate that! I haven’t done many dovetails, but they are getting a bit better one by one.

Mike Allen1010
01-16-2018, 5:26 PM
Phil, thanks for sharing – I know we can all relate to the pain of that "Ah ha" moment when you realize you just screwed up your dovetails. You're a better man than me because at least you figured out the mistake before you spread out the glue!

I like to paired the inside edge of the tails to help ease things together during glue up. My regular DT screwup is is pairing the outside edge, which effectively ruins everything I hate when that happens!