PDA

View Full Version : How to fix my dumb mistake??

David Justice
01-13-2018, 7:28 PM
I am building a bookcase and attaching the sides to the top and bottom with dominoes. When I routed the dado's for the shelves, one of the sides was upside down. So, if my dado's match, my Domino mortises don't line up and vice versa.

I was wondering if there is anything that I can use to fill in the mortises that is hard enough where I can re-rout them to make them line up?

Thanks,

John Lanciani
01-13-2018, 7:31 PM
It’s right in front of you, dominoes. Glue them in, trim them flush, and recut as needed.

Jacques Gagnon
01-13-2018, 7:37 PM
David:

Welcome to this select club; you are not the first one to have done this!

When fixing my similar mistakes, I have used a couple of approaches, depending on the layout of the project.

1. glue a domino into each of the mortises; once the glue has dried, saw the domino flush with the surface and bore the new mortise; voilą!

2. If you have used the "flip stops" to position your mortises, you can just use your "spacer bar" and offset the new mortises (this assumes that you have enough width available to be able to "move" the mortises sideways).

Jacques Gagnon
01-13-2018, 7:39 PM
... it looks like it took me too long to write my reply!:)

William A Johnston
01-13-2018, 7:46 PM
Could you fill the void with Auto Bondo the start over?

I've used Bondo before on paint grade cabinet mistake.

Jim Becker
01-13-2018, 7:59 PM
It’s right in front of you, dominoes. Glue them in, trim them flush, and recut as needed.

This. They are hidden anyway, so it works very well to "fix" the human error.

David Justice
01-13-2018, 7:59 PM
Well, duh! Why didn't I think of the Domino thing! Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious.

Davis Young
01-14-2018, 1:19 AM
The pain in the a is when you use the elongated slot and make a mistake. You'd have to glue a domino into one end of the slot, let dry, cut flush, redomino using non-elongated setting, then glue another domino and cut flush for the final fix. Also, for the truly frugal and depending on depth of mortise, one domino can provide multiple plugs.

Prashun Patel
01-14-2018, 10:01 AM
+1 on using a domino.

Now you are initiated.

Glue in the domino, flush cut, redrill.

If you routed your mortise oversized, I would not worry about making a Custom domino to completely fill.

David Justice
01-14-2018, 11:10 AM
I did use elongated holes, but after filling in with Dominoes, cutting flush and starting over again, it just happened that all of my new mortises were where I had small gaps rom the larger holes. So, it worked out very well! Thanks again for the help!

Yonak Hawkins
01-14-2018, 11:13 AM
David, thanks for winning the the 1995 World Series for us ! You'll always be a hero.