PDA

View Full Version : Two Workbenches

Jim Young
11-08-2005, 8:38 PM
Yep, that's right, I now have two workbenches. I have been wanting a real bench for some time now. Saved up money all year so that I could buy a new Diefenbach bench. Well, one day one of the local woodworkers gives me a shout telling me he may have found a bench that I would be interested in. We went to the persons house and after removing stuff for twenty minutes this real old bench appears. I really liked it and bought it on the spot. It has the original wooden screws and only one of the vise handels is missing.

http://marsh-monster.com/forum/wiki/uploads/Shop/jy_antiquebench3.jpg

The base was a little loose so it needs to be rebuilt, not a problem. The bench is currently undergoing restoration. The top will need quite a bit of work to get the gunk off of it.

As luck would have it, I have the bench home no more than a couple of weeks and low and behold I see an advertisement for a Diefenbach, the high end model. I could not believe my eyes. With much deliberation with the financial adviser she told me to go ahead and get it. Went to look at the bench and there was no question that it would find a new home in my house.

http://marsh-monster.com/forum/wiki/uploads/Shop/jy_diefbench2.jpg

Now I have two. For now I think I will put them back to back, I barely have room. This will allow the kiddies to work across from me when I am in the shop.If it becomes too crowded I will end up selling the antique.

Jim Becker
11-08-2005, 8:43 PM
Wow, that Diefenbach is a gorgeous piece of art! Very nice and even in the "format" I happen to like in a bench. Congratulations!

The other bench is also worthy of your tender care...even if it's not your main bench, having a second surface available can be quite handy.

Mike Wenzloff
11-08-2005, 8:44 PM
Jim...two posts tempting us? First the planes and then the benches?

I like the old one most. Looks like it has seen a lot in its day. Character marks galore!

Take care, Mike

Roy Wall
11-08-2005, 8:48 PM
Jim,

Great benches.......great deal!!!!!

You done good!!:)

I didn't know Deifenbach made a twin-screw vise!!???????!!!!!!!????????

Mark Singer
11-08-2005, 8:53 PM
I have the Diefenbach also...the "Ultimate American" ....a great bench!

Dennis McDonaugh
11-08-2005, 9:02 PM
Nice scores. You can never be too thin or have too many workbenches:)

Jim Young
11-08-2005, 10:06 PM
I have the Diefenbach also...the "Ultimate American" ....a great bench!It's your fault I want one. You sent me pics last year of yours.

Steve Ash
11-08-2005, 10:18 PM
And when you get ready to sell that antique, you're gonna give me a call...right? ;)

Mark Singer
11-08-2005, 10:28 PM
It's your fault I want one. You sent me pics last year of yours.

Jim,
use it a little and you will thank me! If you put a little adhesive rubber on the bottom of the legs it will really stabilize it. You probably have the large washer on the front and maybe the side vise to balance the pressure. Another thing I have done for years is put psa sandpaper on the jaws...much better grip. I think you have the "Modern American" ...its about $3000 new! I have some hold downs that are very good...by "Record" ...enjoy it!!!

Bob Noles
11-09-2005, 6:41 PM
Jim,

WOW... a double gloat. I love them both:cool:

So.... which one are you going to "use" and which one are you going to "display" :D