PDA

View Full Version : Short wood screws

andrew whicker
01-12-2018, 2:19 PM
I have used metal screws in the past for screwing on a wood top to a metal base.

I was wondering what you like to use for short 1" or less for this task. I want a button head, etc where I don't have to counter sink. I think the short metal screws don't really have enough thread to work in wood.

andrew whicker
01-12-2018, 2:21 PM
Well, there you go:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Truss-Choose-Bolt-Dropper/dp/B076CRQMP3/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1515784832&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=1%22%2Bwood%2Bscrew%2Bbutton%2Bhead&th=1

I guess these will work.

Walter Plummer
01-12-2018, 2:38 PM
We use the same type screws at work. If you are going into hardwood make sure you have a good pilot hole because the 18-8 is soft and it is easy to wring the head right off. Good luck

Jerry Miner
01-12-2018, 3:01 PM
I use "sheet metal screws" in wood all the time. The biggest difference between a SM screw and a wood screw is that the threads on a SM screw extend all the way from tip to head---on a "wood screw" the threads stop short of the head.

Sometimes, the threads are a little coarser on wood screws, but they are often the same. In any case, sheet metal screws work fine in wood.

Ted Derryberry
01-12-2018, 3:29 PM
I use sheet metal screws all the time also. BoltDepot.com has a wide selection of all kinds of screws and bolts at great prices and the shipping is reasonable in my experience. I don't typically order one or two things at a time though, but larger lots. Even on small lots they probably beat Amazon on price.

Jerry Wright
01-12-2018, 3:32 PM
Another type of screw with a nice look and built in washer is carried by the big boxes as "lath screws". Self tapping, so you need the depth for the tip.

andrew whicker
01-12-2018, 5:08 PM
BoltDepot is good. I use them and McMasterCarr.

Good to know that everyone uses sheet metal screws. Good call on lath screws. I didn't know what they type was called, but I definitely like the look. What I thought was a semi dumb question ended up being informative!

Thanks and cheers,

Ted Derryberry
01-12-2018, 5:53 PM
Look for "truss head" screws and I think you'll find them similar, but without the self-tapping part.

Andrew Seemann
01-12-2018, 6:12 PM
I tend to use sheet metal screws if a pan head is needed. They tend to have a coarse thin thread, so they hold well but don't weaken the wood much. You do need to match the pilot pretty close to the stem on hardwood though. For flat/bugle head, I use gold construction screws. There is a 1" one, and if necessary, I grind the screw down to 3/4. If I need screws shorter than that, I either use shorter sheet metal ones or drawer slide screws, or better yet try to think of a better way of attaching things than short screws:)

John K Jordan
01-12-2018, 6:53 PM
Andrew,

Lots of good ideas. Like I'm sure many do, when I need a particular size I get extra for my stock!

About five years ago I visited a local fasteners company that caters to commercial customers but they were happy to take my money. They didn't care if I wanted 2 or 100 of anything - the guy would got most out of bins and patiently counted out what I asked for. I bought moderate quantities of a variety of screws, wood, sheet metal, pan head, truss, self-tapping. I bought lengths from 1/2" and longer and various sizes,#6, 8, 10, etc. I'll probably never use them all but the drawers almost always have just what I need.

Also, a local metals recycling place also sells loose fasteners by weight at scrap prices. Every time I go I look through their bins of steel, stainless, brass etc, mostly machine screws and bolts but some sheet metal and wood screws. Perhaps you have a similar place near you.

JKJ

Bill Carey
01-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Found this page a while ago. Good primer on fasteners. http://www.rockler.com/how-to/screw-comparison-guide/

Jim Finn
01-16-2018, 9:44 AM
Another type of screw with a nice look and built in washer is carried by the big boxes as "lath screws". Self tapping, so you need the depth for the tip.

I also like the lath screws. I keep them in stock in various lengths.