PDA

View Full Version : Automobile Reliability

Andy Haney
11-08-2005, 8:10 PM
Really a stretch for this website, but...my daughter is shopping for a replacement vehicle, and seems to have her heart set on a 2001 Mitsubishi Diamante that has over 62,000 miles. For similar money she can have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am with less than 23,000 miles. Both are leased vehicles (to only one party). The Pontiac is from a local dealership, and being sold by that dealership. That dealership KNOWS that car. My take is that the Pontiac can be repaired by most local mechanics, while the Mitsubishi may not be within capabilities of the "local", small town guy...therefore is the far better buy. The Diamante has the bells and whistles she'd like. Any feedback based on real experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim Becker
11-08-2005, 8:48 PM
Check Consumer Reports for both...

Dennis McDonaugh
11-08-2005, 9:11 PM
Andy, there is no such thing as an easy to repair car any more. I doubt your neighborhood mechanic will have an easier time with the Pontiac than the Mitsu. Even parts are probably as expensive for the domestic as the import which wasn't always the case. I did own a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse and without a doubt it was the least reliable car I have ever bought new. Luckily, I bought the extended warranty for it so I didn't fare so bad. I got rid of it as soon as the 100,000 mile 5 year warranty ran out because there was no way I was going to spend $500 dollars of my money on that car every month. BTW, when I bought the extended warranty I wondered why it cost almost double what the extended warranty for my Olds cost. Now I know why.

Andy Haney
11-08-2005, 9:25 PM
Thanks to both of you. I have checked the April (Annual Car) CR, and the Mitsubishi is not listed, probably because the Diamante is no longer produced. The Gallant has a good report.

More ino is welcome, as this will cost more that a whole lot of woodworking equipment!

Jim Hager
11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Andy,

While I don't know anything about the Mitsu I do know some about the Pontiac. I drive a Bonneville and my daughter had two of the Grand Ams. They are good little cars no doubt and one with that few of miles is bound to be ok. But they are still a pain in the butt to work on. They do have a weak spot. The alternator will go out. Everyone that I know that has driven one has lost at least one alternator due to the location of the exhaust pipe leaving the engine and passing right by the belt pulley on the alternator. They break down due to heat. Both of her GA had to have an alternator, one of them twice.

She put a lot of miles on both of them and they never let her down in a tough situation. Can't fault them for that. Good luck on the purchase.

Norman Hitt
11-09-2005, 12:35 AM
I don't know how much this will help you, but Crysler Corp used to make Some minivans with their own engine and some with a mitsubishi engine, and the Mitsubishi engine would last about 3 times as long as the crysler corp engines.

As to Pontiac........well our family and inlaws have owned several over the years, most very fine cars, but My Daughter bought a Grand Am, (brand new), with the Quad 4 engine, and that car was the most expensive, maintenance wise of ANY car we have ever owned. Timing chains, gears and guides, several times, many other $4-500 trips to the maint shop, and when it finally developed a crack in the aluminum head only 4 days after spending another $450 on it, I wholesaled it the next day, (to a very unscrupulous Dealer, I might Add, who bought it for his daughter since it still LOOKED new), and I haven't owned a Pontiac since.

I think anymore, you just pays your money, and takes your chances, no matter what brand you choose.

Jim Becker
11-09-2005, 9:52 AM
CU online is devoid of much info on the Diamonte other than:

"Overview: Despite all its high-tech features, Mitsubishi's flagship sedan never stood out against its competitors from Acura and Lexus. The front-drive Diamante was redesigned for 1997, but it still didn't provide the class, room, or ability of German and other Japanese competitors. The powertrain is strong and smooth, but the Diamante's ride is so-so and handling is cumbersome. Headroom is meager and the turning circle is wide. A facelift arrived for 2004, but this model was discontinued after the 2004 model year.

Safety equipment: Dual front air bags standard. ABS available through 1997, standard from 1998. Safety-belt pretensioners standard from 1998.

Note: This model may have a recall (/cro/consumer-protection/recalls.htm) associated with it."

Nothing else is there relative to reliablity, etc.

For the Grand AM:

"Overview: The Grand Am was an uninspired design from the start. The noisy "Quad Four" four-cylinder engine performs weakly. The handling is imprecise, the body leans a lot in turns, and the tires squeal prematurely. The front seats, at least, give fairly good support. Redesigned for 1999, the Grand Am got an improved ride and sounder handling. The cabin offers plenty of headroom, but the front seats are soft and unsupportive. The V6 continues to be the better engine choice. Overall, it still trailed most competitors, with pronounced wind noise and flimsy plastic interior trim. The Pontiac G6 replaced the Grand Am after the 2004 model year.

Safety equipment: Dual front air bags standard. ABS standard until 2002, available thereafter.

Note: This model may have a recall (/cro/consumer-protection/recalls.htm) associated with it. "

The 2002 has a poor rating on brakes and crash testing, but otherwise seems to be neutral on reliablity. Later models were better.
----

bill kiss
11-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Andy, as a retired ASE certified master auto tech I have worked on a lot of different cars. Unless it will be a three year car, don't buy a mitsubishi. IMHO it's the junk of japan.