PDA

View Full Version : DUHHhhh - How to mix 5 gal NC Lacquer ?

Marc Jeske
01-12-2018, 6:51 AM
Maybe a dumb question..... How do you guys agitate a 5 gal drum of NC Lacquer or anything else solvent base w/o an air mixer?

Waterbase I would use a drill w paddle mixer, or in a one gal can of anything simply a stir stick.

But what about a 5 of flammable stuff ?

Ready to order a 5 of a certain basic SW NC Lacquer, regular NC stuff, nothing odd requiring constant agitation... when I realize the only thing I ever got before in a 5 was thinner.. no problem w that, I flip it upside down couple times and fill a easily shakable one gal once per spray day and feel fine w that.

But how to handle the Lacquer ?

Probably will get full Gloss, but still, even w/o flatteners it still needs some mixing.

The stuff I want ONLY comes in 5 gal or 55, and all I can figure is to open the lid, mix w a clean stick for awhile, then immediately re pack it in one gal cans, for easy future mixing.

But then, it turns out, now a new problem... virtually all it seems one gal empty paint cans are plastic lined, so now I may end up w degraded chips of junk in my new lacquer.

Did I miss some obvious solution??

Wanted to ask you guys rather than the SW guy.. that might think if I don't know this, I don't deserve the trade discount !!

Marc

Steve Eure
01-12-2018, 7:57 AM
Marc, have you thought about a paddle mixer that sheetrock installers use. I know you are concerned with it being flammable, but that is the only thing I could think of. As far as the 1 gallon paint cans, I bought some at Lowes that was all steel last year. Maybe you could look there.

Mike Gresham
01-12-2018, 9:35 AM
Assuming it is round, lay it on it's side and roll it around?

Wayne Lomman
01-13-2018, 6:30 AM
For nitro lacquer, a clean flat stick does just fine. Otherwise just an air drill with a $5 mixing paddle in it. Since air power is off the option list, the flat stick will do. It's all I used for about 30 years at work at all I still use at home. At work I spent a few dollars on a quality Atlas Copco air drill about 10 years ago. It has mixed full drums of heavy epoxy every day since then and still works fine. Cheers

Walter Plummer
01-13-2018, 8:27 AM
My old boss liked to mix the 5 and then use these jugs to divide it. https://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-jugs/=1b3x8fk.

Mark Canada
01-13-2018, 9:04 AM
If you're worried about the solvents catching fire from the spark in a brushed drill motor... I wouldnt really worry overly much, as you need a pretty precise mix of gas for that - however, to be on the safe side you could just use a brushless drill? They are not that expensive, and an extra cordless drill around is always a good thing. No sparks from a brushless motor!