PDA

View Full Version : Makore bowl

Frank Parker
11-08-2005, 7:53 PM
This is a Makore bowl or African Cherry, I think the heart wood has a 3d effect that really sets it off, It's 9-1/4" by 1-3/4" with awall thickness of 1/4", I finished it with 3 coats of Tung oil and buffed it with beale buffs and end with Carnuba wax.
Frank

Chris Barton
11-08-2005, 7:59 PM
Frank,

That's one great bowl! I love the color and the shape is classic.

Mark Cothren
11-08-2005, 8:20 PM
That's some great wood, Frank! I also like shallow bowls of this size and bigger. Nice bowl!

Thanks for the picture!

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-08-2005, 8:25 PM
Very good lookin', Frank. Not to be DUMB!, but what is a MAKORE bowl? Is that another name for the African Cherry?

Bruce

Jim Ketron
11-08-2005, 8:26 PM
Nice Work Frank!
Awesome piece of wood!

Frank Parker
11-08-2005, 9:16 PM
Yes Makore is just another name for African cherry, when I got the wood I had to look it up. Around here about the only wood I know on site is Redwood, Fir, Oak, and Walnut. I got some wood that I was told was Californian Nutmeg which I doubted because I couldn't find it anywhere than my Brother found a book from the 60s that had it in it.
Frank

Bill Stevener
11-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi again Frank,
That is one great looking bowl, I love the wood. "Makore" is just outstanding, wish it grew in IL.

Some info.

Botanical names: Tighemella hecelii, Tieghemella African and Mimusops heckelii of the Family Sapotaceae.

Common Names: Agamokwe, Durmori, African Cherry, Cherry Mahogany:confused: , Ukola (in Gabon), Toheckelii is called Baku in Ghana, T. Africana is Called Douka.

No, I'm not that smart:o , one can find all of this info. + over 100 photos of the same, on the web page I noted in Dick Parr's post "Unknown Type Of Wood"
Worth taking a look, Thanks for the photo,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jeremiah Jordan
11-09-2005, 7:24 AM
How do you like working with the tung oil? I have been meaning to try it on some pens, but I can not get away from Shellawax. I just want to find a type of polish, that lasts a long time during heavy usage.

Thanks

Jeremiah

John Hart
11-09-2005, 7:51 AM
Beautiful work Frank.....Great wood...nice form and finish!

Keith Burns
11-09-2005, 8:53 AM
Very nice bowl Frank. Nice form, finish and bottom treatment.

Dick Parr
11-10-2005, 7:42 PM
Great looking bowl and color of wood, both are outstanding!