PDA

View Full Version : spindle sander sleeves

stevo wis
01-09-2018, 7:59 PM
Folks,
I just acquired a jet floor model spindle sander. Does anyone know a good source for 9" sanding sleeves? Klingspor seems to have some, but the smaller diameter are not on their site.

Also, what grits do most people use? I dont think i want to change very often, but of course different work may require different grits.
thanks,
Stevo

Jim Becker
01-09-2018, 8:19 PM
I can't help with sourcing for the sleeves, but for my Delta spindle sander (which I don't use very often) I only have a single grit represented. I think it's 100 grit if my memory serves. I only use sanding machines like this for shaping/smoothing. Any finish sanding is done using other methods.

Ted Derryberry
01-09-2018, 9:08 PM
Klingspor is my source for all things gritty. You might try Grizzly or Woodworker's Supply if Klingspor doesn't have what you're looking for.

I use a spindle sander a lot (gun racks out of Baltic Birch plywood) and almost exclusively 100 grit sleeves. I keep a few 150 on hand for fun projects that I want a higher level of finish on.

John Ziebron
01-10-2018, 12:27 AM
Stevo, I recently bought a fresh set of sleeves from Klingspor for my Jet floor spindle sander. They carry all the sizes needed. Just be aware that the 1/4 and 1/2 inch sizes are only 6 inches high, the larger ones are all available in the 9 inch high size. And the smaller sizes come only in a 2 pack; I forget what size started single sleeves. Here is a link for you to look at: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category.aspx?id=24&f2=SPINDLE+SANDER

Tom Wassack
01-10-2018, 8:04 AM
Supergrit has an extensive selection - http://www.supergrit.com/OSSSandingDrumsandSleeves

Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC

Robert Engel
01-10-2018, 9:06 AM
I buy most of my sanding supplies from industrial abrasives.

Yonak Hawkins
01-10-2018, 3:17 PM
stevo, I rarely use the full height of the spindles. I find it more economical to get 6" sleeves (I even cut those in half when I'm sanding 3/4" material as I find the shorter ones are easier to get on) and have 9" sleeves on hand for the rare occasions when they are needed. I use 120 grit almost exclusively but, my spindle sander operations are pretty specialized, not general.

Ted Derryberry
01-10-2018, 4:00 PM
If they don't shred at the seams before they wear out (usually only a problem with smallest diameters) I always flip them over to use both ends.

I bought one of those hand held spindle sanders that Grizzly and a couple of others just put on the market. The 3" long sleeves aren't available at Klingspor and I hate to pay Grizzly's shipping unless I have a large enough order to make it worthwhile. I'm curious how you cut down the sleeves. I've done a couple by putting them over a dowel and using a hacksaw, but figure there's probably a better way.

Yonak Hawkins
01-10-2018, 4:36 PM
I'm curious how you cut down the sleeves.

Ted, I'm trying to remember how I did it when I cut a bunch of them awhile back. Usually I cut sanding belts with one of those nurse's shears that will cut through anything and never seems to dull (plus they're inexpensive) but for a drum you need a starting place. I believe I either used an old steel circular saw blade or a fibre metal cut off disk on the RAS.

Ted Derryberry
01-10-2018, 5:02 PM
Thanks. Now I seem to remember that I tried a cut off disc in a dremel and didn't have much luck before switching to the hacksaw.

Robert Cherry
01-10-2018, 9:21 PM
I just ordered a bunch from Woodworkers Supply. Price was pretty good and the quality seems fine. I'm using 60 grit to pattern sanding a bunch of chair parts so I need aggressive stock removal.