PDA

View Full Version : Wenge Question

andrew whicker
01-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Hi,

I'm having a hard time finding photos that convince me wenge has a strong grain pattern. I'm picturing doing something where I would make a diamond shape out of four pieces (think inlay). Would wenge be a poor choice? I'd like the eye to pick up that it's four pieces vs 1.

Matt Day
01-09-2018, 12:56 PM
The wenge I’ve used has a subtle, and very straight grain. For instance I’ve used it to make a few picture frames and the grain almost lines up at the miters.

I’d say it’s a poor choice for a quad matches inlay.

andrew whicker
01-09-2018, 1:11 PM
Okay, that's what I was picturing. Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
01-09-2018, 3:56 PM
Wenge has a strong grain pattern. Think red oak, but completely different colors. The pores in wenge are the color of milk chocolate. The rest is the color of dark chocolate. If the wenge is rift sawn, it will make a striking diamond pattern.

Steve Jenkins
01-09-2018, 3:59 PM
I made a set of end tables with a 4 piece match on the tops. Looked really nice. Unfortunately no pics.

Mike Henderson
01-09-2018, 4:38 PM
I've used a fair amount of wenge veneer. The stuff I use (I think it's quarter sawn) is pretty "flat", that is, it does not have much of a visible grain pattern. I use it when I want a black background and don't want to use dyed black veneer.

Mike

[Here's a piece with a background of wenge in a radial match.]

Brad Shipton
01-09-2018, 4:51 PM
I made the Train case below out of Wenge. The guy it was made for has not finished it yet, so I do not have any pics better than this yet. I used shorts and not good quality Wenge because he preferred to old look. The back of the case was a cheaper veneer I had kicking around.

Bill Orbine
01-09-2018, 6:03 PM
You can google images of wenge: https://www.google.com/search?q=wenge+wood&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS756US756&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiDgMK0_cvYAhWsRN8KHXGAC14Q_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=614

Wade Lippman
01-09-2018, 6:24 PM
Wenge has a very strong grain pattern with a water based finish. With oil it all goes uniform dark. I happen to like oil, but water might be more suitable for your use.

Mike Henderson
01-09-2018, 7:42 PM
Wenge has a very strong grain pattern with a water based finish. With oil it all goes uniform dark. I happen to like oil, but water might be more suitable for your use.

I'm not sure that's always true, Wade. The picture I posted earlier has a water based finish on it and you can't see much grain pattern.

Here in CA we can't use anything other than water based finishes.

Mike

Ken Sanderson
01-09-2018, 9:21 PM
In my experience Wenge grain varies depending on how it's cut and finished.

I would recommend getting a small plank from a hardwood retailer (not Woodcraft or Rockler, their prices tend to be at the top), saw it a few ways and test a couple potential finishes.

I think it looks beautiful myself, especially when contrasted with another wood such as in the picture Mike posted. Do be careful when working with it - it can produce some wicked splinters.

Mike Cutler
01-10-2018, 4:48 AM
Andrew

Here are some pic's of a Wenge and Jatoba Blanket chest I made for wife about 10-12 years ago.
Wenge finishes quite nicely, but working with it can be painful. It is the only wood I wore gloves with while working it. It cuts to a vary sharp edge produces these barbs, hairlike, "chips" that come off. They hurt! An actual splinter will have you cussing a blue streak to remove.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?46908-Blanket-Chest-Tack-Trunk&highlight=

Ted Calver
01-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Wenge on the top of this jewelry box has nice grain.