PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Books for newbie for Router and Bandsaw...

David Ruhland
01-08-2018, 6:45 AM
I am looking for a couple of good books that pertain to the router and the Bandsaw as these two tools are the most underused in my shop and would like to learn more.

For the Bandsaw I am interested in resawing and cutting circles, corners, tapers, etc. I currently have a Rikon 10-326 14 inch Bandsaw.

These are a few of the books I have on my list as possibilities,:

Routing for Beginners-Sec Edition by Anthony Baily
Bill Hyltons Ultimate guide to the router table
Tauntons Complete Illustrated guide to Routers

Normally I would hit the big bookstore and look, but the selection is not as good as it used to be years ago.

Thanks!

Frederick Skelly
01-08-2018, 7:55 AM
I bought Roland Johnson's book (Complete Illustrated Guide to Bandsaws) when it came out a couple years back. He writes for Fine Woodworking and I like his style. I enjoyed the book.

You can still buy used copies of Mark Duginske Bandsaw books too. Mark is one of the wizards of bandsaws.

Don't have a good router book (because mine is very underutilized too).

Fred

Nick Decker
01-08-2018, 8:14 AM
For the bandsaw, I agree about Mark Duginski's book. Look on Amazon for "The New Complete Guide to Band Saws". That's the updated version, and It helped me a lot. I'm fairly new to the bandsaw, and also own the Rikon 10-326.

David Eisenhauer
01-08-2018, 9:15 AM
Mark's books on BS have been reviewed as being top quality for many years now. Same for Bill Hylton's router books.

John K Jordan
01-08-2018, 10:06 AM
I like Duginske's book - I have several different editions - and one by Lonnie Bird (both available on Amazon). Lonnie also has books on routers, shapers, and more.

I prefer to read more than one author to get different points of view.

JKJ

Victor Robinson
01-08-2018, 10:32 AM
Hylton's Woodworking with the Router remains one of my favorite power tool woodworking books.

Phillip Mitchell
01-08-2018, 10:36 AM
As far as router information, I haven't checked lately too see if his website is still up, but the late Pat Warner was a wealth of wisdom on routing.

RIP Pat.

Mike Cutler
01-08-2018, 11:17 AM
As stated, Bill Hylton's books for the router, and Mark Duginske for the bandsaw. You can't go wrong with their books.