PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Running Out

Scott Welty
01-05-2018, 6:51 PM
MY FAULT. Bought a Jet JdP 15M used. It ran looked good. Everything worked. Got it home and it's running out. About +- .020. Any fix for this?

Scott

Jim Becker
01-05-2018, 6:54 PM
It may be that the chuck isn't seated correctly. Drop it out and reseat the taper it to see if that mitigates the runout you are experiencing.

Wayne Lomman
01-05-2018, 7:09 PM
I agree with Jim. It could be crap in the taper. Clean it and recheck. If it's still out, check the run-out on the main shaft. If that is ok, the chuck side of the Morse taper is bent. Buy a new chuck. Had exactly this problem with a Jet a couple of years back. I got the drill for nothing because it was wobbly. Replaced the chuck and taper and it is perfect. Cheers

Jim Becker
01-05-2018, 7:13 PM
Yea, I mentioned reseating because I had the identical issue with my own Jet drill press when I first got it. In fact, I actually need to reseat it now as I noticed a little bit of fluctuation recently while working on a project that involved a lot of drilling and it wasn't limited to one bit...which could have indicated a bad bit otherwise.

Scott Welty
01-15-2018, 8:16 PM
Thanks for the advice. Now looking for the proper tool for banging the chuck out of there. It seems really stuck and I can see some pitting on the inside of the taper (taper? is that the part that holds the chuck?) Explains why it's running out. I think someone jammed it in there somewhat crooked. I had a tool ordered from Tooldex that they might deliver after Feb 9. Cancelled order. Can't wait that long. So what tool and where to get?

Thanks,
Scott

Jim Becker
01-15-2018, 8:21 PM
The tool for removing the taper/chuck is usually a flat piece of steel about 3/16" thick or so that has a tapered edge. You tap it in from the side and it pries the taper out from above...at least on my Jet DP. (Golly, I hope I didn't throw out that tool. LOL )

glenn bradley
01-15-2018, 8:26 PM
A drift key (google it) will remove the arbor which can be a piece of steel with a taper that slips into the chuck on one end and a taper that slips into the spindle on the other. There are various methods but, on machines that we run into in the garage shop the arbor being popped out with a drift key seems to be common.

Bill Dufour
01-15-2018, 11:40 PM
Sounds like there is a slot in the socket to use a drift key. Drift keys are sized by the taper probably a #2 or if a bigger machine #3

andy bessette
01-16-2018, 1:21 AM
...Bought a Jet JdP 15M...it's running out. About +- .020...

Afraid that's about what you should expect from such a machine. But check to see if it's coming from the spindle or just the chuck.

Larry Frank
01-16-2018, 7:30 AM
I had a Jet floor model and had too much run out and also a lot of quill slop. I reseated the chuck and arbor and made almost no difference. Most of the current drill presses have no way to reduce quill slop.

I ended up buying a new drill press with very little run out or quill slop.

Frankie Hunt
01-16-2018, 8:36 AM
Here is a "how to" demonstration showing removal of the chuck using the tool and also a scrap piece of wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbI_7IHAsyw