PDA

View Full Version : Old wooden level

Bill Jobe
01-05-2018, 5:02 PM
This level belonged to my grandfather. As you can see, one metal end piece is missing. Liquid filled pieces intact.
Anyone recognize it and what can you tell me about it.

Matt Evans
01-12-2018, 8:15 AM
I've had several older wooden levels similar to that that one over the years. The ones I've had have mostly been Rosewood or similar.

They do make good levels. I would test the level to see how accurate it is, then see if it is somewhat adjustable. Some of them were, some of them weren't. (if the vials are held in by a white putty then then it isn't adjustable without some major work )
Depending on where you are they will likely show up in antique shops and flea markets pretty often.

If you type this number into the ebay search bar you'll see one in a bit nicer shape than you've got. ebay item # 322980877057

I've seen parts for these pop up now and then on ebay.

Vic Castello
04-05-2018, 12:55 AM
Quick true story about a level. In the 90ies, I was working with a small one on a Saturday at home, and slipped it into my back pocket. A while later, I decided to go to my office to do something. My boss happened to be there hanging up a white board. He said, not seriously....you wouldn't happen to have a level on you, would you??? I calmly said...sure, right here, and handed it to him. He said.....I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!