PDA

View Full Version : Plant Stand

Jason Christenson
11-08-2005, 10:26 AM
I am refinishing an old buffet type table for a coworker. She plans on using it for a plant stand. Any suggestions as far as what type of topcoat I should use for this? Obviously it needs to be somewhat moisture resistant as she seems the type to over water. :D

Thanks,
Jason

Steve Schoene
11-08-2005, 2:17 PM
Easy answer--varnish. The top at least should berm brushed on varnish. Why brushed and not wiped? Because protection depends on two things, the material and the thickness, and its a lot easier to build a protective coat of varnish. I'd use a alkyd varnish such as Pratt and Lambert 38 if this is a light colored wood, and a phenolic resin--darker and more amber--if it is a dark colored finish. Behlen's Rock Hard works well. It needs to be thinned more than most varnishes so count on it. I choose these over poly in situations where I don't expect to walk on the surface because it is easier to rub out the traditional resin varnishes than poly, and because I prefer the way they look in thicknesses thick enough to offer real protection.