PDA

View Full Version : Router bit bearing off center

Jonathan Vigorito
01-04-2018, 1:23 AM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q260/icedeemon/IMG_0033.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/icedeemon/media/IMG_0033.jpg.html)

Just bought my first router and bit set. Looking over the bits, the Cove bit bearing looks to be not perpendicular and off center to the bit. Is there a way to adjust this? Or should I return the whole set and hope for the best.

Newb,
Jon

Jerry Miner
01-04-2018, 2:28 AM
Is this bit from one of those "bargain" sets--- 35 bits for $50 or something? Could be a case of "you get what you pay for." (a quality cove bit runs about $30)

You might try pulling the bearing--it might have the wrong i.d. -- or, better, send the whole lot back and get quality bits, one-at-a-time as you need them.

Wayne Lomman
01-04-2018, 7:04 AM
Return for refund or replacement with a good one. Any flaw in a cutter that is spinning at 20000+ rpm is cause for rejection. Good work to pick the fault. Cheers

glenn bradley
01-04-2018, 8:16 AM
Since it is new, I agree that a return is in order. That looks like an MLCS bit. their bits are good for trying a new profile or for getting you through a project. Not something I would use long term. Check the other bits in the set. If they are OK, call MLCS and tell them about the one bit. My experience with them is that they will happily replace the item but, I have never bought a set so, check it out. The screw looks straight so it could just be the bearing. If you don't mind the fuss, take a like-sized bearing from another bit and try it on this one. Maybe MLCS only needs to send the bearing. Either way, lesson learned on the true cost of "bargian bits". They have their place but, long term use is not one of them.

Jonathan Vigorito
01-04-2018, 8:36 AM
You guys are correct. It is an MLCS bit from a set of 15 for $50. I got a $50 gift card from my job and I just needed a set to get me started. I figured I'd use the opportunity to get a small "starter" set to see which ones get used, then replace with better quality as needed. I'll give them a call today and see what they can do.

Greg R Bradley
01-04-2018, 8:39 AM
I know quite a bit about the methods that might have been used to make this bit.
- It's unlikely the bearing is made that poorly in that way.
- It's unlikely that the shaft where the bearing mounts is ground at that much of an angle. If the bearing would go on the shaft at that angle, it is more likely the shaft diameter is wrong or the shaft is broken.
- It IS likely that the hole for the cap screw is drilled or threaded poorly and the cap screw is at an angle.
- It is likely that the bit was assembled by a person who is so uneducated that they don't even know the purpose of a router bit. They could have cross threaded the cap screw, used a bent cap screw, etc.

This is a 30 cent router bit after all. They make more profit selling piles of this quality bit than a high end manufacturer makes selling good bits.

I see you confirmed MLCS while I was posting. Calling them and having them replace it or the set sounds like a plan. Sounds like you are off to a great start since you found this before trying to use it.

Jim Becker
01-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Get MCLS to replace that obviously defective cutter. :)

Tom Walz
01-04-2018, 3:50 PM
If you like we will send you a really good router bit free.

Tom Walz
Carbide Processors

Jerry Miner
01-04-2018, 6:08 PM

Tom Walz
Carbide Processors

Is that offer open to everyone reading this, or just the OP? (Just kidding)

Jonathan-- I would jump on Tom's offer. His company handles top quality router bits.

Matthew Curtis
01-04-2018, 6:19 PM

Tom Walz
Carbide Processors

Me to please.

Art Mann
01-04-2018, 7:23 PM
I use a CNC router and go through a lot of bits. I am always in search of a good value. I bought a group of 5 1/4" shaft, 1/4" diameter 90 degree solid carbide bits from MLCS. This is about the easiest bit to manufacture there is. I found none of these bits even usable. The 2 best ones were quite dull. One of them had an obvious big burr on it that any QC person would have instantly caught. One was ground off center. Based on this experience, I would never buy from them again. They just don't have any quality control.

My favorite brand is Whitside. I believe that is one brand Carbide Processors sells.

Bill Space
01-04-2018, 8:24 PM
I have in the past only bought individual bits from MLCS (no more than maybe 20), but can say I have been satisfied with what I received.

I am am only saying this because the tone of this thread NOW seems slightly on the “bash MLCS” side, and this may be unfair.

I am only a customer and other than being in the same state, have no connection to them. I will buy again though, but probably not cheap sets of bits 😀

Bill

Bruce Wrenn
01-04-2018, 9:59 PM
I have used many of MLCS's bits. I have one 1/2" straight bit, and pattern trim bit that were used with a trammel to cut ribs for a curves front desk at local "Y." Cut a groove about 1/4" deep with straight bit, and finish cut with jig saw. Then clean up cut with flush trim bit. Made a couple hundred feet of ribs, using 3/4 ply, which kills bits quickly. These bits are still very usable. Toughest bit I have ever used is a $5 (remember them) bit from Woodcraft. 1/4" straight bit in router trammel. Cut half the head off a drywall screw, and bit showed no signs of damage. That was 5+ years ago, and bit is still in router on trammel

Joe Jensen
01-04-2018, 10:10 PM
Once you use a Whiteside or other quality bit you will be hard pressed to use a cheapie. Unless you love sanding burn marks and tearout out of profiles !

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2018, 10:31 PM
I have had good experiences with MLCS router bits, especially their Katana series.

Jonathan Vigorito
01-04-2018, 11:47 PM
That would be awesome! Like I said I’m just starting out so anything would help! Let me know what you need from me.

Jonathan Vigorito
01-04-2018, 11:52 PM
So as it turns out... amazon is sending me a new set. I can’t wait to make some sawdust again, but right now we’re dealing with bomb-cyclone-Grayson-snowpocolypse-blizzard-of-inescapable-death in NJ. As soon as the temp starts getting bearable to be in my garage, I have a lot of projects on my list.

Ken Combs
01-05-2018, 1:25 AM
My guess is that the bearing has a much larger ID than the OD of the cap screw holding on. I've seen a lot of these types of bits that use a spacer bushing between the bearing and screw. That way they get a one size fits all bearing. and can get a discount on a huge purchase. Maybe one got left out??

I'd pull the screw and have a look.

And let us know what it looks like with the screw out.

Jim Becker
01-05-2018, 10:02 AM
So as it turns out... amazon is sending me a new set. I can’t wait to make some sawdust again, but right now we’re dealing with bomb-cyclone-Grayson-snowpocolypse-blizzard-of-inescapable-death in NJ. As soon as the temp starts getting bearable to be in my garage, I have a lot of projects on my list.
Yes, it's "a bit nippy" outside right now and you folks in our neighboring state got hammered with the snow, too, especially farther south and east. We only got about 2" and aside from some 6" drifts in one part of the driveway, don't have to do much dealing with it. Shop heat is a nice thing to have...

Ted Derryberry
01-05-2018, 12:40 PM
I like Freud and Whiteside bits, but have a few MLCS also. I bought a cove set from them just to have around "in case". One of them the shank the bearing mounted on was too short so the bearing touch the carbide and wouldn't turn. They promptly replaced the bit. The bits of theirs I have used I've been happy with. They're great when you need something larger for one project that would cost $80-$100 from one of the top brands. They have a 1.5" diameter bottom surfacing bit that I used to flatten some slabs on the CNC. I ended up finding some wire from a fence in the slabs and was glad I was using a $17 bit and not a $50 bit. In the end the wire seemed soft enough that it didn't hurt the bit and it stayed sharp as long as I expected it to. They have a 120 degree V groove bit for $28 that I use all the time to route glue lines on panels to look like tongue and groove. The only other place I have found this bit is from Amana at well over twice the cost. I've probably cut close to 3,000 feet of groove with the MLCS and it still as sharp as the day I got it.

Jerome Stanek
01-05-2018, 1:13 PM
I use Vortex and Onsurd bits a lot on my cnc

Keith Hankins
01-05-2018, 2:54 PM
Once you use a Whiteside or other quality bit you will be hard pressed to use a cheapie. Unless you love sanding burn marks and tearout out of profiles !

Amen brother! I go there first, but if they don't have the profile i want i have used MLCS bits and they are fine, however, I'd never recommend a set of bits. It's like omaha steaks offering you a great deal on a package and it has 3 steaks and a lot of other crap that is cheaper at the local store.

Nick Decker
01-05-2018, 5:09 PM
Whiteside is pretty much my go-to choice. I tend to just buy bits as particular projects call for them, but Whiteside offers some sets that you might consider. Early on, after realizing that you get what you pay for, I picked up their 401 basic set. I think you'll find that these are all bits that will actually be of use, as opposed to most of what makes up the cheap "junk sets".

https://www.holbren.com/Whiteside_Machine_401

Jonathan Vigorito
01-05-2018, 7:19 PM
Well I took the bearing off and one side was covered in metal shavings.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q260/icedeemon/IMG_0047.png (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/icedeemon/media/IMG_0047.png.html)

It seems to be lined up and turning easy now. Thanks for the input guys!

Jerry Miner
01-05-2018, 8:02 PM
Thanks for letting us know about the MLCS QC standards.

Jonathan Vigorito
01-09-2018, 8:28 AM
One more Comment on the MCLS Router bit set. I just received the replacement set and noticed a huge difference. The original set they sent me must have been a previous return. It had dust all over the bits. The new set came with a gel silica pack and a plastic protective sheet over the bits. The replacement set definitely looks new.