PDA

View Full Version : Pullout Question

Rick Alexander
01-03-2018, 10:48 AM
I'm doing something a little different this time for a pantry for a kitchen job I'm on. Customer wanted only drawers in the pantry but asked if the drawers could be adjusted for height. I got the bigger Domino last year and this is the first real use on a job other than playing around with it. Gotta say - I thank goodness I ended up getting the DF700 after all that angst as to which to get. I cut all 4 vertical supports at one time by clamping them together - found the dead center of the board - used the detents on the base to space the 12 mm holes. Then I just cut the slide mount boars perfectly to length - clamped the slide support boards together 3 at a time and used the same depth from the ends to make the holes for the dominos after clamping them vertical in a vice. Worked perfectly with the alignment. Man that Domino is accurate.

Now for my question. How do you guys make your pullout drawers - especially the front so you have some sort of pull without buying hardware?

Sorry for the orientation on the pictures. Can't figure out how to flip upright. (Look at your photos in a regular photo viewer such as Adobe Photo Shop, before posting them to fix the orientation)

scott vroom
01-03-2018, 11:12 AM
This is how I make them. No need for pulls, you simply grasp the top of the tray fronts.

scott vroom
01-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Pics rotated

Rick Alexander
01-03-2018, 3:15 PM
well dang it how'd you do that. I'd like to learn something new.

Victor Robinson
01-03-2018, 5:02 PM
That's pretty slick - neat use of the Domino.

The client will still have to disengage the drawer slides/remove the drawer. But I guess it's a more "tool-less" approach than unscrewing/screwing drawer slides into predrilled holes.

Jerry Miner
01-03-2018, 9:11 PM
Very clever, Rick-- but how does anybody use a drawer that is above eye level?

Lee Schierer
01-04-2018, 8:33 AM
well dang it how'd you do that. I'd like to learn something new.

It helps to view your photos in a regular photo viewer or photo editing software before posting. Typically photos taken with a cell phone or a camera will orient according to how the phone or camera was held when the photo was taken. Here is a good thread discussing the problem (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?258495-Why-your-photos-show-up-sideways-on-SMC)

Lee Schierer
01-04-2018, 8:44 AM
When I built the pantry for our house, I purchased off the shelf adjustable slide mounts from Woodworker Supply. They worked well. The trays were mounted on soft close full extension slides capable of 100#. The trays are 24" deep and you simply grab the tray to pull them out.

Chris Padilla
01-04-2018, 5:16 PM
I used those very same slides, Lee.

Joe Jensen
01-05-2018, 10:35 AM
Fantastic idea. Love it.

Justin Ludwig
01-05-2018, 2:12 PM
I like to shape the front of my rollouts.

Curt Harms
01-06-2018, 6:07 AM
It helps to view your photos in a regular photo viewer or photo editing software before posting. Typically photos taken with a cell phone or a camera will orient according to how the phone or camera was held when the photo was taken. Here is a good thread discussing the problem (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?258495-Why-your-photos-show-up-sideways-on-SMC)

You can also open the pic in a web browser if you don't have photo viewing or editing software. Click File -> Open, select the pic file and the pic should appear. Of course to change the orientation you'd need editing software.