PDA

View Full Version : Record Vise Sale

Steve Roxberg
06-25-2003, 6:55 PM
I heard about this sale on another board and wanted to pass it on here. I purchased a Record 52ED woodworking vise at "Big Lots" a closeout style store.

You can locate stores at www.biglots.com

They have the vises for $29.99, this current vise is listed on Amazon for $89.95.

That is a great price, I purchased mine in Kansas City and the store in Lenexa still had two on the shelf, look up high though, they were on top.

John Weber
06-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Steve,

Thanks I ran out to our local Big Lots tonight and bought one of the 2 they had. I guess it's the first thing I purchased there in years. Thanks for the heads up. It looks like they came from Lowes.

John

Rob Russell
06-26-2003, 6:46 AM
Yean, well according to their "closest store" search engine, I've gotta drive to someplace in Utah. Even if KC is a bit closer, it's sort of a long drive :-)

Angelo Schembari
06-26-2003, 8:59 AM
Yean, well according to their "closest store" search engine, I've gotta drive to someplace in Utah. Even if KC is a bit closer, it's sort of a long drive :-)
We have them in NY and it seems you have at least one in CT

Big Lots with Furniture Department
1931 East Main Street
Torrington, CT 06790
Phone: (860) 489-1939

Problem is, much of the stuff they get is regional. :(

Walt Quadrato
06-26-2003, 9:49 AM
Rob, there's a bunch in CT..I'm down in Waterbury but you're closer to:
3105 Berlin Turnpike, newington
381 Broad Street manchester
940 Silver Lane, Suite #D-1 E hartford
968 N. Colony Rd. wallingford
1380 Berlin Turnpike werhersfield
1931 East Main Street torrington
1235 Farmington Ave bristol
guess I know what I'll be doing tonite :p

Tom Stover
06-26-2003, 1:30 PM
I went to a local Big Lots in Louisville, Ky. this morning, looked on the top shelf in the tool department and there was three vises. We had a $5.00 off coupon in our paper sunday for purchases of 20.00 or more but my wife threw it away. I asked the cashier if she had one and she said no but I have this and handed me a coupon for 20% off. I got it for $25.43 including tax. Thank you Steve.. Tom Stover

Rob Russell
06-26-2003, 1:39 PM
I know of the Ocean State Job Lots, and have been in the store in East Hartford (it wasn't called a Big Lots at the time).

You'd think there website would've told me what everyine here did. Now - about my route home today ...

Thx - Rob

Ron Jones near Indy
06-26-2003, 1:43 PM
I picked up the last one at the closest store this am. Well worth a 30 mile round trip. :)

Lincoln Myers
06-26-2003, 2:39 PM
Thank You Steve!

I tried one store, no luck. Went to another one, no luck. But I figured I'd just take a look at all the random pallets on the floor to see if it was there. Nope. Went back near the 'tool dept.' and on the end of an adjacent isle, BINGO.

This is a great deal. Thanks again for the great heads up!

Walt Quadrato
06-26-2003, 3:06 PM
big lots...job lots...two different genus of the same species.Cheap stuff..Cheap..(sort of an oxymoron) We have two Job Lots within 5 miles..they had Jorgensen clamps on sale but not much of a savings (under $2.00) over the Tools-plus price...Big Lots..never found much of anything except for misc. items..none are close by but I'm taking the long way home tonight!

Don Farr
06-26-2003, 4:13 PM
They had three in Dallas, Georgia. I bought one and will go back tomorrow for another. Never been in a Big Lots in my life, but I will go back, because I saw 12" out feed roller stands for $4.95 and all sorts of Pony brand vises and clamps. I am a sucker for a good deal. :D

Walt Quadrato
06-26-2003, 6:37 PM
Hey, Don, you got lots better stuff down there! I think CT is barren. I called 5 stores today and struck out at all 5. 'course the people I talked to weren't quite sure what a vice was. I can only hope they've not gotten this far north/east...yet. So it goes...

Mark Duksta
06-26-2003, 9:22 PM
I went to two stores here in Austin, TX. No luck. I did pick up two 4' Jorgensen bar clamps for $5.99 each. I'm going to check a third store tomorrow. The bar clamps still had the Lowes sticker on them.

Mark D.

Eric Apple - Central IN
06-27-2003, 10:02 AM
I got the last record in the greenwood IN, Biglots on 31. Good deal

Walt Quadrato
06-27-2003, 1:30 PM
I gotta move outa New England!! ;)

Sam Chambers
06-27-2003, 2:40 PM
...at the Big Lots in Lawrenceville, GA. They had a small Pony, but no Records. They had plenty of the 12" roller stands though. I may try the one in Buford, GA this weekend.

Scott Coffelt
06-28-2003, 11:15 AM
I checked the Olathe store but they did not have them. They are pretty nice, especially at that price. I have been wanted to add a vise to my outfeed table. Thanks for the tip.

John Schreiber
06-28-2003, 11:51 AM
I checked my "Big Lots" yesterday. The only vice they had was a massive machinest's vice with the brand name something like "Big Daddy." It was going for a price worthy of scrap iron.

Interesting store, a thousand bits of junk going for the price they deserve. A few odd things worth much more than the selling price. Might be worth going back to see on a regular basis if you don't mind looking at ugly ceramic decorations and really poor quality furnature.

Charles McKinley
06-28-2003, 5:16 PM
I Went to the Butler store andLOML checked in Greenville. No vice and no Pony clamps in Butler. I will try to check the Franklin store later.

Bummer

Brad Hammond
06-28-2003, 11:20 PM
now that i've got two of these things i'll have to build a new bench!!!

Ray Dockrey
06-30-2003, 9:30 AM
The second store I went to in the Oklahoma City area had one. Thanks so much for the info. I have been wanting a bench vise for a long time, but I figured I wouldn't end up with one like this.

Joe Breid
06-30-2003, 10:50 PM
I bought the last one that the Eau Claire store had. Of course I could not leave the store with just the Record vice, a couple of lawnchairs fell into my cart before I could leave.

Joe