PDA

View Full Version : Incra Miter Express modification?

Art Moore
01-02-2018, 4:55 PM
I've ordered the Incra Miter Express sled to work with my 1000SE miter gauge and before it gets here, I have a question. Has anybody installed a t-track on the drop off side, in front of and perpendicular to the saw blade? My thought is that I could use a stop block in that track to make repetitive cuts, much like you'd do with a rip fence stop block. Yea or Nay??

Ben Rivel
01-02-2018, 5:34 PM
Its pretty thin, not sure youd be able to attach a T-track in it unless you just screwed it down on top, but then it would prevent work pieces from gliding over the cut off side. Why wouldnt you just use the stop thats built into the miter gauge on the left side? Or if you need longer the table saw fence with a spacer on it to prevent any chances of the work piece binding and kicking back?

Art Moore
01-02-2018, 5:52 PM
Among other things, I do a lot of pen turning, and my thoughts are to set it up with a block to do repetitive thin segments (1/8 to 3/8) on the drop off side of the blade.

Nick Decker
01-02-2018, 6:20 PM
Art, I've wondered the same thing, but Ben makes a good point. The drop-off panel is only about 1/2" thick. Embedding a track into it would leave you with a very weak panel. Would love to know if you (or anybody) can think of a way.

Frederick Skelly
01-02-2018, 7:12 PM
I have that miter gauge and sled - love them both.

If it were me, I'd keep your "original" sled as-is. Then call Incra and get extra material and hardware to make a SECOND drop off panel. (Or just buy suitable MDF and a runner.) Epoxy the t-track to the top of the second drop off panel - screws probably won't hold. That way you have 2 drop of panels - an "original" and one with t-track.

Good luck Art!
Fred

Art Moore
01-02-2018, 7:46 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. The light bulb just went on. Route a 1/4 recessed slot through a panel perpendicular to the blade, use a toilet bolt / stop block / threaded knob and that should solve the problem. Duh, old age has definitely set in!!