PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw motor has trouble getting to speed

andrew whicker
01-02-2018, 12:26 PM
Hi all,

My bandsaw has developed a problem spinning up to speed when it is turned on for the first time. After the first time, it has problems around a third of the time. My OSHA approved starting method lately has been to:

1) open the top upon startup.
2) take a piece of scrap and spin the wheel until the motor finally comes up to speed
3) shut top door and use.

I've messed with both the bandsaw blade tension and the belt tension. I've checked the bearing guides.

I think it must be the motor. Is this repairable or scrap and replace?

Thanks and cheers,

John K Jordan
01-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Hi all,

My bandsaw has developed a problem spinning up to speed when it is turned on for the first time. After the first time, it has problems around a third of the time. My OSHA approved starting method lately has been to:

1) open the top upon startup.
2) take a piece of scrap and spin the wheel until the motor finally comes up to speed
3) shut top door and use.

I've messed with both the bandsaw blade tension and the belt tension. I've checked the bearing guides.

I think it must be the motor. Is this repairable or scrap and replace?

Thanks and cheers,

Sounds to me like the starter capacitor may be hosed. The ability to jump start an electric motor is a common symptom. The cap went out on one of my bandsaws twice. When turning on the power the motor would just hum. Both times this happened I started it manually until I got a new capacitor. (I just used a stick against the teeth to push the blade down a few inches just after I turned on the power. ) Fortunately a capacitor is cheap so you can try replacing it. That is, it's cheap unless it comes from Jet.

JKJ

daryl moses
01-02-2018, 1:17 PM
I agree with John, sounds like the start capacitor. Usually an easy fix.

andrew whicker
01-02-2018, 1:23 PM
Thought that is what you would say! Thanks.

Just verifying it wasn't something else since it does spin slowly on its own vs not spinning at all.

cheers!

John K Jordan
01-02-2018, 2:37 PM
Thought that is what you would say! Thanks.

Just verifying it wasn't something else since it does spin slowly on its own vs not spinning at all.

cheers!

I don't know what else it could be. My limited experience shows if the motor is shot it won't turn at all. Do you have a capacitor tester or know someone who does? Otherwise, you could remove it and a local motor shop could test it in an instant.

Also, did you smell anything funny? A capacitor can have a very pungent and distinctive smell when it blows (but if you don't know what it smells like it might not help!) Sometimes there will be a burned hole in the side or end of the capacitor and sometimes its guts can bubble out and harden - might look like expanded gorilla glue!

Does a noise come from the motor when it turns slowly? If it's not the capacitor, I would disconnect the drive belt and see if the motor runs OK without the load of the blade. If you have a clamp-on current meter you could check the motor current while turning slowly and after kick starting - that might be a hint. It's conceivable the some motor windings could be going bad but usually total failure follows quickly (again, in my limited experience - I am by no means a motor expert. I know just enough to usually diagnose my own stuff. )

JKJ