PDA

View Full Version : 8 inch jointer advice

Chris Damato
11-08-2005, 8:11 AM
Hello,

I am looking to purchase an 8 inch jointer and have narrowed it down to a Delta non-x5 DJ-20 or a Grizzly 8 inch (G0586 or 0593). I am also interested in a Spiral cutterhead as well, just for the simple fact that I am told changing the knives is a nightmare of a task with the straight ones. Anyone have any advice on which jointer and if the spiral cutterheads are worth it? I read the Fine Woodworking article this month but remain undecided. I feel like I am leaning toward the DJ-20 but am also concerned about the motor maybe being underpowered for that machine.Thanks in advance.

Rob Russell
11-08-2005, 8:19 AM
Chris,

Welcome to SMC! My old jointer is an early 90's DJ-20 and I wouldn't say it's underpowered. The only time power would be an issue is if you mount a power feeder to the jointer and try to face joint 8" boards and take a deep cut, fed by the feeder. I never had a problem when hand-feeding.

Rob

Steve Schoene
11-08-2005, 8:24 AM
The DJ20 is a pretty clear winner. Plenty of power, a great adjustment mechanism, and likely a higher resale value if it comes to that. For a long discussion, a bit smoky, look and FWW has done it now thread.

Chris Damato
11-08-2005, 9:07 AM
Besides the 2 year vs 5 year warranty, is there any difference between the X5 8 inch and the 8 inch precision DJ20 (37-350A)? The one I am interested in is the non X5 model. I saw it for $1299.

Scott Coffelt
11-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Chris, Grizzly will be coming out with a spiral head version of the G0586 soon. Papa Grizzly posted it could be out late this year, but if history tells me anything it will be sometime first quarter. I would guess that based on the price of the G0586 it will be under $1000.

Dan Oliphant
11-08-2005, 10:50 AM
I own the Grizzly G0543 with spiral cutter, use it on a daily basis. Very happy with it. Easy set up, stays adjusted, couldn't ask for more.

JayStPeter
11-08-2005, 11:15 AM
You can add a spiral cutterhead to either of those jointers at byrdtool.com.

I love my byrd head. So, I would choose the Griz + byrd head for the same money as the DJ20.

Jay

Paul Comi
11-09-2005, 1:20 AM
Besides the 2 year vs 5 year warranty, is there any difference between the X5 8 inch and the 8 inch precision DJ20 (37-350A)? The one I am interested in is the non X5 model. I saw it for $1299.

I have the non X-5 version and its a good jointer. The only difference is some coupons which I never used when I got my X-5 unisaw and the color of the paint.

As far as the DJ-20 vs the Grizzly people may say that the parallelogram design of the tables doesn't justify the cost difference between the Grizzly and the Delta, but I disagree. The Grizzly tables are adjusted via dovetailed ways and its only after you have the ability to adjust the tables effortlessly on the Delta that you find yourself using that capability often. I find myself taking heavier cuts to get into the range of flatness and then take final passes set for very thin cuts. It makes the work so much faster and as someone with limited time for woodworking I appreciate that a lot.

I seriously considered the Grizzly and had I not found a refurbished DJ-20 at Wm Redmond and Sons online I probably would have bought it because I wasn't going to spring for full retail or anything close to it. As far as the spiral cutterhead, that can be added. I wouldn't decide on my jointer based on a feature that can be added and decided to go for the best base model I could afford/justify and leave room to upgrade to a Byrd shelix head or whatever in the future as needed. Oh, also check out the length of the infeed table on the DJ-20. Its like an aircraft carrier and having had two six inch jointers in the past I love that as well. It makes jointing things sooooo much easier.

Take my advice on getting a mobile base for the beast. This is one seriously heavy piece of equipment.

Dev Emch
11-09-2005, 2:59 AM
My pick is the non X5 version of the DJ-20. Fancy that, You'all! There were several jointer architectures developed over the last 100 years. The wedge bed is cicra 1960 give and take a bit. The newest and one of the most reliable is the parallelogram design. All of the top euro jointers use this design including the $16,500 dollar Martin T-54.... The Mother of all Jointers.

The DJ-20 is the only parallogram 8 inch jointer I am currently aware of. It would be nice to see some other entries here. But being only one, its always compared with the.. "Me Too, Look Mother, Here I am" wedge bed designs all yelling.. "Pick Me, Pick Me".

And this pick is comming from someone who dreams about the insides of jointers at night. I can assemble one blind folded right now. For me, this is not even a question. Drop the X5 stuff and go for the DJ-20 plain jane. Make sure to check your tables for flatness over the warrenty period but this remark also applies to every jointer out there. General or Delta, Bridgewood or Grizzly.

Changing blades is not at all hard. You need to get a video on the subject and pick up some tools such as the jointer pals and some knife setting indicators such as the Oneway Multigage. I like these two for jointers. The first time will be hard and awkward. First times are always like that. But after the 2nd or 3rd try, you will set'em like a on old pro. So I would not worry about this. You just need to learn the tricks from forums like this and from videos like the taunton video and from mag articles and use the tools.

The major advantage to using a byrd head (shelix) is that this cutter head can do heavy figure like no other head. On super straight stuff, it actually does a slight bit worse as carbide does not finish like high speed steel. But carbide outlasts high speed steel by several factors of magnitude and the shelix design can work woods that would give straight knives total fits. So if you see yourself doing lots of burl and grain reversal and birds eye and crotch and fire curl and ribbon mahogony and and and... then you need the weapons of choice for Pagan Grain... The Byrd Shelix.

Note that not all insert heads are shelix. The major advantage comes from the fact that the cutting edge of each insert is packing a shear angle whereas most insert heads are packing a shear angle of 0 degrees. They are not all the same! Buyer Beware!

Aaron Mills
11-09-2005, 6:29 AM
I believe Powermatic also manufactures an 8" parallelogram jointer (model PJ-882) with a 2 HP motor. It is priced similarly to the X5 version of the Delta DJ-20, if not better. In addition to the larger 2 HP motor, the PJ-882 has a 38" outfeed and 44" infeed versus the DJ-20's 31" outfeed and 43 1/2" infeed tables. Also, the three knife cutterhead runs at 7000 RPM, slightly more than the 5500 on the Delta.

If you are considering the Delta DJ-20 because of its parallelogram design, but have reservations about its motor being underpowered, or want a longer outfeed table, the PJ-882 is an alternative if you haven't already eliminated it from the list of potential jointers.

lou sansone
11-09-2005, 6:55 AM
hi chris
welcome to the creek. Here are a couple of thoughts. as others have said the dj-20 has always been considered a safe bet and a standard in the 8" world. Recently FWW did a review of 8" machines and the results were a little suprising. But there are 2 other recent posts / threads that deal extensively with that. I don't know where you live, but you might find that if you add that info to your profile where others here can see it you might get an invite to actually visit a couple of owners of that exact equipment you are considering
I have found in general the folks here at the creek very hospitable and almost bend over backwards to help each other out. I live in CT and have a pretty "heavy" shop with a lot of old Iron machines. You are welcomed to stop by if you want to see some of it, or just search on my name for the fun of it and look for a series of shop tours ( 1-7 ). I believe in the future I will have another tour in works, but for now my lips are sealed

regards
lou

Jim Becker
11-09-2005, 9:19 AM
And this pick is comming from someone who dreams about the insides of jointers at night.

You really worry me, Dev... ;)

Aaron Mills
11-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Chris,

Not sure how much stock you place in magazine reviews, but aside from the recent FWW 8" jointer test, American Woodworker did one back in September 2005. Here's a link to the review in PDF format:

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/site_files/amerwood_905.pdf

Dev Emch
11-09-2005, 6:03 PM
Arron...

Thanks for the lead on the powematic parallogram. I got to check this one out! This would be entry #2 in this class. THanks a bunch for the lead!

Russ Massery
11-09-2005, 7:02 PM
Man, that has to one of or the shortest replys I've ever seen Dev make. Are you feeling okay today DEV?;)

David Less
11-10-2005, 6:36 AM
I too am in the market for an 8" or 10" Oliver. Has anyone had a chance to look at the new Powermatic 8" parallelogram?? How does it stack up against the proven DJ-20?? There are never any shows in my area and most of the stores only display small equipment, priced less that $1000. I can't see spending 1000 on a road trip and spent another on a tool considering I could put that trip money toword a better tool.

David