PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Wood Filler? (Pics Attached)

Keel McDonald
11-08-2005, 7:30 AM
I've read several past threads on wood fillers. I am considering using a wax pencil on my current project, but have never used one. Do you have to sand after applying? See attached thread for project pics. http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25560 (Scroll down)

Nathan Hoffman
11-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Is this what you mean? I've used these to fill nail holes in trim, but I don't know about for furniture. These are used after a piece is finished, or maybe you could put your clear over the top?

Greg Heppeard
11-08-2005, 10:42 AM
I've used that type before. All you do is rub the pencil across the nail hole and then buff with a cloth. It works pretty well but doesn't shine to a gloss finish...it comes out looking satin. I'm not sure about putting a finish over this, read the instructions, it should tell you. It seems like that since it's a wax, any oil base finish might soften it and possibly make it not work as it is supposed to do.

Jim Becker
11-08-2005, 10:59 AM
The wax pencils get used after finishing, not before. (never put them on bare wood) There is no need to sand them..."write" them on and then wipe off the excess with your finger and/or a soft cloth. Non-polyurethane varnishes and shellac can be put over them if you want an additional coat of clear on top. Since small fastener holes are "usually" in less conspicuous places, such as on trim under a surface, etc., the very small spot of filler shouldn't be all that noticable or require top-coating.

Keel McDonald
11-09-2005, 7:29 AM
Thanks Nathan, Greg, & Jim. I always like to do my homework before jumping into new things. I'll post pics after I finish the project.