PDA

View Full Version : Useful small motor?

David Ragan
01-01-2018, 1:55 PM
I happened into this little motor, and had in mind to make a little machine like the Scary Sharp machine. Am not able to post a picture, but your are probably familiar w the horizontal platter that rotates, and has abrasive on it. I was going to put leather on one.

This is the little motor, it's from a CPAP machine.

My guess is its pretty good quality, but the torque would be very low.

Anybody know how to look @ the label, and figure out if geared in such a way to be able to handle the resistance of a blade on leather?

Lee Schierer
01-01-2018, 8:57 PM
Based on the label the motor is a 1/8 hp. I would suspect that it is a very low torque motor and may only be sized to run the fan.

Tom Bender
01-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Agree with Lee, too little power. You could have lunch while it works on a plane iron.

David Ragan
01-04-2018, 1:21 PM
Off to Trash bin

Thanks guys

Marvin Hasenak
01-04-2018, 2:35 PM
Can you power it up? If you can, you can power it up and see if you can stop the shaft with your fingers. I have a small motor that is 12V that I use on a power hone, if I try I can stop it, but for sharpening gravers it is fine. If it has enough power, contact me and I will expain how to make a shaft adapter to add a plate for the leather.

Lane Hardy
01-04-2018, 9:59 PM
That is called a shaded pole motor, they are found as others have said in fans such as in expensive bathroom exhaust fans or children's record players and are used in old devices that required a cooling fan.
One interesting thing about these fans is that if you rotate the shaft in either direction and the shaft is turning when you apply power it will rotate in that direction.

i used one when I was a kid to make a cat litter box shaker to separate the kitty litter from the manure. Yes this motor has very low torque, so low driving a transmission of any sort will not work very well.

James Combs
03-28-2018, 4:29 PM
But if you hang an eccentric off the end of the shaft it would make a great vibrator. Thinking of doing something similar with a small one I have to shake the sanding media off the sides of a small bench top sand-blaster I have. The used sand doesn't like to slide down the sides to the pickup port.