PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw or RDworks

Terry Wade
12-31-2017, 10:20 AM
Just updated one of my laptops that I am using on one of my lasers and want to know if I should load Corel Draw before RDworks or does it make any difference which one I load first. Have not had any luck getting corel draw to link up with rdworks on the other computer, not sure what I am doing wrong but I would like to be able to run the laser from corel draw.

Thanks, Terry Wade

John Lifer
12-31-2017, 12:54 PM
I've done it both ways. Initially had Corel draw, then added RDworks. But a couple of months ago, corel corrupted itself and I had to reload.
There are good instructions for doing this on Facebook RDworks page, and on the RDworkslab. I'm assuming you have full version, won't work with student version of Corel....

Rich Harman
12-31-2017, 1:58 PM
I'm assuming you have full version, won't work with student version of Corel....

Are you sure? I have used the student version of Corel ("linked up") in the past.

Matthew Herrera
12-31-2017, 8:06 PM
Take my words with a grain of salt as I do not have much experience in either. However I think many people here would agree Corel draw is a top notch professional designing program capable of allot more than RDworks is. Most people use Corel draw to design and RDworks to load files to the DSP for laser engraving. Essentially RDworks just becomes a transfer tool to get your work done in Corel draw to the laser.
My current laser setup is similar but I use Inkscape as it is free. I am getting ready to make the jump to Corel draw because Inkscape tends to be buggy and Corel draw has been around for ages and proven reliable.

Kev Williams
01-01-2018, 12:11 AM
I don't think it matters-- if RDworks is anything like my Lasersoft, you can load the xfer plugin anytime.

But me, I've always loaded Corel first.

John Lifer
01-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Rich, Student or Education version? Pure student version is crippled, at least version 7 on, and won't do a lot of things full version will do.
Education version is full version.

Rich Harman
01-02-2018, 12:52 AM
I didn't realize that there was a student version and an education version, when shopping for it (several years ago) I only remember two choices - full and student (maybe education). The version I bought was only about a $100 and did everything the full version did. Later I called Corel and upgraded it to the newest commercial version for the price of an upgrade.