PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture?

Malcolm Schweizer
12-31-2017, 10:03 AM
First of all, this is an excellent issue with some great tutorials on making hand tools. I very much recommend it.

That said, what's wrong in the photo? (Other than it loaded sideways!)

Chet R Parks
12-31-2017, 10:11 AM
He's using all 4 fingers to saw????

Nathan Johnson
12-31-2017, 10:52 AM
That's what I noticed too, Chet.

Al Launier
12-31-2017, 10:59 AM
Good observation! My take as well, plus I would use my left thumb to hold the wood against the fence. As it is his left thumb could be a bit close & is doing nothing.

steven c newman
12-31-2017, 11:04 AM
He is sawing with all of the right hand, left thumb is close to being sawed (early version of Sawstop?) Maybe the 45 degree cut is wrong...as in the angle should be the other way?

Pete Taran
12-31-2017, 11:12 AM
He's using a late model British Saw when many better American models are available?

Chet R Parks
12-31-2017, 11:19 AM
Malcolm will probably keep us in suspense until next year :rolleyes:

Mark Herdman
12-31-2017, 11:24 AM
The mitre block would be difficult to reverse.

michael langman
12-31-2017, 12:36 PM
The left side of the miter saw backing fixture is only held down with one bolt. It should have two bolts going through it to keep it from pivoting.

John Schtrumpf
12-31-2017, 12:57 PM
The mitre block would be difficult to reverse.

The left side of the miter saw backing fixture is only held down with one bolt. It should have two bolts going through it to keep it from pivoting.
I had those thoughts, as well as where the overcut grooves in the base intersect.

But then I thought, what if I was to remove the saw and reveal a reverse miter angle slot in the face. Then unscrew the wing knobs holding down the plastic top pieces, flip the top pieces around/over for the reverse miter, and screw the wing knobs back on.

Patrick Chase
12-31-2017, 1:13 PM
Bad manicure?

(Like most, the first thing I noticed was the forefinger)

Clint Bach
12-31-2017, 1:47 PM
I don't know... Fingernails too manicured? No sawdust?

Bill Houghton
12-31-2017, 1:57 PM

The picture shows the block running in a track - fenced on front and back with an extension of the block on which it rides - to prevent pivoting. The extensions look weak, though; I can see them snapping off.

Art Mann
12-31-2017, 1:59 PM

Mark Gibney
12-31-2017, 2:29 PM
It's a rip saw when it should be a cross-cut?

I give up!

Randy Karst
12-31-2017, 2:32 PM
The saw is pretty short for that kind of work, very short stroke.

John Schtrumpf
12-31-2017, 2:40 PM
They are trade marking: HAND TOOLS™

Jim Koepke
12-31-2017, 2:41 PM
A good safety habit would be to have his left thumb tucked under his other fingers. It is especially important if one is working with power, but a lot of finger can also go missing with a hand saw.

jtk

Patrick Chase
12-31-2017, 2:59 PM
They are trade marking: HAND TOOLS™

Oooh, good catch. I'm going to have to change my answer. The other stuff is wrong, but that trademark is WRONG.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-31-2017, 3:37 PM
Wow- lots of good observations. What I noticed is he has all four fingers wrapped around the tote. He should point with his pointer finger in the direction of the cut. I always teach my students this. I'm all ears if anyone wants to disagree, but to me it's bad form. Using all four will cause you to twist the saw in the cut. Holding the pointer out keeps the wrist straight. I thought that was sawing 101. Again- open to arguments, but you will have a hard time convincing me.

There is also an image of using a shooting plane inside the mag and the same four finger grip is used. The plane is in a track, so I guess it doesn't matter, but to me that is bad form as well.

Also his nails are too perfect. Cannot possibly be a woodworker. No cracking in the cuticles at all. :-)

Adam Herman
12-31-2017, 3:43 PM
I GOT IT!

The bench is not full of tools and scraps. :D

Chet R Parks
12-31-2017, 4:05 PM
I agree with you about the index finger being sawing 101. But if the shooting plane is in a track so "maybe" it doesn't matter can't you say the same about the saw on the cover being in a track??? I'm not trying to argumentative, just saying.

Mike Lemon
12-31-2017, 4:21 PM
Touting a magazine that has been dead for three years?

David Bassett
12-31-2017, 4:43 PM

Since that was a Spring 2018 issue, I guess this makes it a zombie....

Jim Koepke
12-31-2017, 5:04 PM

Yeah! Don't read it, it will eat your brain.

jtk

Mike Lemon
12-31-2017, 5:07 PM

ShopNotes. At the bottom.

Patrick Chase
12-31-2017, 5:24 PM
Wow- lots of good observations. What I noticed is he has all four fingers wrapped around the tote. He should point with his pointer finger in the direction of the cut. I always teach my students this. I'm all ears if anyone wants to disagree, but to me it's bad form. Using all four will cause you to twist the saw in the cut. Holding the pointer out keeps the wrist straight. I thought that was sawing 101. Again- open to arguments, but you will have a hard time convincing me.

That was what jumped out at me (and what I meant by "the forefinger" in a previous post) before I started reading others' responses.

You're quite right: The saw doesn't know which way to go unless you point the way. Nothing else will do :-)

Seriously, I'm so used to the 3-finger grip that I point into space on BU planes.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-31-2017, 7:22 PM
I agree with you about the index finger being sawing 101. But if the shooting plane is in a track so "maybe" it doesn't matter can't you say the same about the saw on the cover being in a track??? I'm not trying to argumentative, just saying.

Excellent point that I didn't consider. I still think they hired a "hand model" for the shot and it's just plain bad form- as is the shooting plane, but I was being nice. I feel like I'm being a stick in the mud with pointing out the grip, but it's akin to a photography magazine with a cover shot of a guy holding the camera the wrong way... or at least similar.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-31-2017, 7:24 PM

So I also thought, but it was bought yesterday at the newsstand.

Pat Barry
12-31-2017, 7:34 PM
I don't see any sawdust. Obviously a staged photo.

Phil Mueller
12-31-2017, 7:44 PM
The first thing I noticed was a 1940’s design for a 2018 publication. What decade are they living in?

Patrick Chase
12-31-2017, 8:04 PM
Yeah! Don't read it, it will eat your brain.

Too late, he's reading the neander forum.

Patrick Chase
12-31-2017, 8:04 PM
The first thing I noticed was a 1940’s design for a 2018 publication. What decade are they living in?

...or what demographic are they targeting.

Frederick Skelly
12-31-2017, 8:25 PM
I dont have the magazine Malcolm - why does their design use that big a piece of UHMW plastic across the top? Seems wasteful.

Fred

Stew Denton
12-31-2017, 8:45 PM
Hi All,

Good points on the hand model, fingernails definately too well manecured, and as Jim pointed out, he needs to tuck his thumb. Good advise Jim.

I would gladly serve as a more realistic hand model. Got a nasty big black spot on the thumbnail of my left hand, forgot to tuck the thumb and hit it hard with a hammer.....first time in probably 35 years or more.....making up for lost time I guess. Also my finger nails and cuticles don't look nearly so good.

Stew

Malcolm Schweizer
01-01-2018, 4:18 AM
I dont have the magazine Malcolm - why does their design use that big a piece of UHMW plastic across the top? Seems wasteful.

Fred

It adjusts side to side to keep a tight kerf and takes advantage of the low friction of UHMW.

Bob Glenn
01-02-2018, 1:47 PM
What is he going to do with the molding he is cutting? Looks like he should be cutting the 90 degrees the other way.