PDA

View Full Version : I feel I need a test drive on a G0800

Roger Chandler
12-30-2017, 8:46 PM
Any owners of a G0800 here in Virginia, or close enough that I could do a turning session? I feel I owe it to myself to try one out before I make a committment to something way more expensive. I have been pondering different makes, but have not decided on “the lathe” as of yet. I have had very good experience with both Grizzly lathes I have owned......now the G0800 is available and is made by the same manufacturer that makes the Powermatics.

Some of the ergonomics of this newer model have appeal to me, as well as the heavy and wide stance of the unit. If you own one, and are close enough for a day drive, and would be willing to show me your G0800, then send me PM, and perhaps we could have a meet up and turning session. :)

Brian Kent
12-31-2017, 12:52 AM
Is San Diego close to where you live?

Roger Chandler
12-31-2017, 6:09 AM
Is San Diego close to where you live?A bit more than a day drive, but thanks Brian!

carl mesaros
12-31-2017, 9:39 AM
A bit more than a day drive, but thanks Brian!

Good morning Roger. Well I have the Laguna 2436 (older version) Pretty much identical to the GO-800. Your more than welcome to come up for a test drive, however Coshocton , Ohio is quite a hike for you.
As I responded in your previous post , the lathe has been an outstanding performer for me. It is WAY nicer to turn on than my previous lathe which was a 1/12 Jet 1642. Don't get me wrong I turned many many items including fairly large bowls on the Jet, but the power and especially the weight and stability of the Laguna make it so much more pleasant to turn on.
I only have two areas that I would like to change. The banjo is not quite high enough for my Robust long stem tool rests, and somewhat heavy and cumbersome. It does clamp tightly however. I plan on replacing it with a Oneway.
My next wish is that the manufacturer would have spent a little more $$ on the finish of the lathe. A nice powdercoat finish would have brought the lathe up closer to the premium.
I hope you get a chance to check one out and if you can't find anyone closer please come on up.

Brice Rogers
12-31-2017, 3:06 PM
Roger, I recall reading somewhere that Grizzly can supply you with names of people with the lathe you are looking for who are in your area. Maybe it was an "opt-in" on the part of the new owner.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2017, 3:24 PM
Roger, I recall reading somewhere that Grizzly can supply you with names of people with the lathe you are looking for who are in your area. Maybe it was an "opt-in" on the part of the new owner.Thanks Brice.....I think I will give CS a call and see if there is someone near me.

Richard Casey
12-31-2017, 6:35 PM
Or you could jump on a plane, have a holiday in Aus and try my Laguna 24/36, same model as Carl's. Just don't come this month, its in the 90° range at present.
Rgds,
Richard.

Ralph Lindberg
12-31-2017, 7:48 PM
They had one on the showroom floor the last time I was up at Bellingham.... spent a few ah minutes thinkin, then bought what we were there for and left.

Roger Chandler
12-31-2017, 8:22 PM
They had one on the showroom floor the last time I was up at Bellingham.... spent a few ah minutes thinkin, then bought what we were there for and left.

Ralph...what was your up close and personal impression when you saw it on the sales floor? Features, build, ergonomics, etc?

Ted Baxter
12-31-2017, 11:20 PM
I guess Okla is more than a days drive but after 16 months I am very pleased with mine. If you do buy one I would recommend you buy the bed ext. at the same time mine stays on the end in the lower position all the time. I really like being able to slid the head stock to the end and move the banjo to the table ext. and stand in front of large turnings makes it easier on the back.

Brice Rogers
01-01-2018, 12:37 AM
Roger, Take a look at youtube. There are 3 or maybe 4 G0800 reviews...

Roger Chandler
01-01-2018, 8:50 AM
Roger, Take a look at youtube. There are 3 or maybe 4 G0800 reviews...Been there, done that.....while they are helpful, they don’t give me the critical look and personal experience I want before I make a choice on my next lathe.

Ralph Lindberg
01-01-2018, 11:58 AM
I'd play with it as they didn't have power to it, but it certainly was tempting. I didn't see anything that would have stopped me from buying it, except for money, room in the shop, etc