PDA

View Full Version : Will a 15ga nailer shoot 16ga nails?

Larry Browning
11-07-2005, 10:45 PM
I really don't know much about nail guns. I was given a boat load of various sizes of nails and an old duo-fast nail gun (hfn-880). I think that some of these nails are 15ga and some are 16ga. As it turns out the nail gun leaks air real bad and won't drive nails.(I swear it worked when I picked it up!, but it no longer works now) So I started looking for a gun that will drive these nails. Grizzly has a 15ga nailer for 89 bucks that looks like it might work, but I think some of these nails are 16ga and I was wondering if the 15ga would drive the 16ga nails. BTW how can I tell the difference between a 15 and 16 ga nail. Obviously the 15ga is bigger than the 16ga. But most of these nails are all mixed up in different boxes and I really don't know what's what with them. Is there a thickness value for each that I could measure?

Thanks,

Larry

Walt Pater
11-08-2005, 5:22 AM
Larry, any gun I've owned will only shoot its designated nail size, so forget about swappin'. There are two types of 15 ga. nails made- a standard nail (fits the Bostich 15 ga. nailer) and "DA" nails- fits Porter cable, Hitachi, some others. DA nails have a bit more of a head on them. I usually can tell the difference between 15 and 16 ga. nails by the angle of them- 15 ga finish nails are made for angled finish nailers (I don't know of a brand which shoots straight 15 ga nails), whereas the 16 ga finish guns shoot straight nails. maybe Paslode is making an angled 16 ga. nailer.
HTH
Walt

Larry Browning
11-08-2005, 8:08 AM
Oooh! I didn't realize that an angled nailer also needed angled nails. Duh! When I think about it, that must be true. All the nails I have are straight, so I will need a straight nailer. The Duo-Fast nailer is a 15ga nailer according to research I have done on the Internet. So I guess I need to look for a 15ga straight nailer. However, most of the nail boxes say they are 16ga. Is there a way to tell what gauge a nail is by measuring with a dial indicator or something like that?

Larry

Jason Roehl
11-08-2005, 8:28 AM
...whereas the 16 ga finish guns shoot straight nails. maybe Paslode is making an angled 16 ga. nailer.

AFAIK, the Paslode cordless nailer has always shot angled 16-ga. nails. I don't have one, but I've used a couple and been around a few more.

Walt Pater
11-08-2005, 3:11 PM
Jason, You're right-my bad. I too have been around Paslodes, but I haven't used one in years.
Larry, to my knowledge, no one makes a "straight" nailed 15 ga. finish nailer. Your nails must 16 ga. nails, IMO.

Larry Browning
11-08-2005, 3:44 PM
Jason, You're right-my bad. I too have been around Paslodes, but I haven't used one in years.
Larry, to my knowledge, no one makes a "straight" nailed 15 ga. finish nailer. Your nails must 16 ga. nails, IMO.

I measured some of the nails I have, and it seems that I have 3 sizes:
I have some 18ga brads which are .040" thick
I also have some that are about .060" (I think these are 16ga)
and I have some that are about .080" (I think these are 15ga)

All of these nails are set together in a straight line. The 15ga Duo-Fast nailer is a "straight" nailer. I know that it is no longer being made and the gun leaks air real bad. I have about 10,000 or so of these 15ga nails, and after pricing the nails, I think the nails are worth more than the gun, so I thought I would try to find a gun that would shoot these nails. But if nobody makes a straight 15ga nailer any more I guess I will pursue getting this one fixed.

Scott Coffelt
11-08-2005, 4:19 PM
At least you can put the 15 gauge nails up for sale if you don't use them. I also believe that the 15 gauge guns are usually, not always but usually angled.

Ed Breen
11-08-2005, 5:05 PM
My neighbor up the road used to repair Duo Fasts. You might call the plant in Chicago and ask them for the name of a local agent or repair man. Most of these rerpair people are loike the proto people and primarily are foiund at the job sites. They also call on lumber yards to repair loaners and rentors. Yopu might try Duo fast on the net.
Ed

Dave Sweeney
11-08-2005, 6:55 PM
Definately look into having the nailer repaired. Air nailers are pretty basic tools with not that much in them to go wrong. A simple rebuild kit may well be all you need to get it up and working again.