PDA

View Full Version : New Year Resolutions

Rich Riddle
12-30-2017, 9:45 AM
Last year my resolution was to drive by a gymnasium at least once a week. Since the gym is located next to Home Depot, it was an easy resolution to keep and exceed. Unfortunately, I became fat so this year it's time to diet. Do any of you have any New Year resolutions for 2018?

Robin Dobbie
12-30-2017, 10:26 AM
Use more than 80% of my scrap wood, somehow, in six months. And on future projects, use scraps within three months.

Art Mann
12-30-2017, 11:04 AM
Less computer - more woodworking. I have a new shop being built!

Nathan Johnson
12-30-2017, 11:41 AM
I have never made, nor will ever make, a New Years resolution.

If something needs doing, do it now.
If something needs changing, change it now.
Resolve to be better always. If you wait for New Years you're more likely to fail.

Dennis Mas
12-30-2017, 10:59 PM
My New Years resolution for last year was I decided to live forever. So far so good. Guess I'll stick with that.

Rod Sheridan
12-31-2017, 4:17 PM
Rich, after the mess that was this year for me, I've resolved to keep in touch with my friends more, including you of course.

Happy New year to you and your family, and my extended family here on SMC forum..............Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
12-31-2017, 7:04 PM
Professor Dr. SWMBO's one brother had the best resolution for 2017 and plans on adopting it for 2018. I am too. The resolution? Wake up every day on the "correct" side of the grass. :D

Tom Stenzel
01-01-2018, 1:11 AM
Last year my resolution was to drive by a gymnasium at least once a week. Since the gym is located next to Home Depot, it was an easy resolution to keep and exceed. Unfortunately, I became fat so this year it's time to diet. Do any of you have any New Year resolutions for 2018?

Rich, one solution is to work out more by putting a heavier spring in the gas pedal.

A few years back I made a New Year's resolution not to make New Year's resolutions. It's been working for me.

-Tom

Rich Riddle
01-01-2018, 5:47 PM
Well I did make one project related resolution about a month ago and see no reason to interfere with it. I am now completing two projects before contemplating taking one new project. The ration has been more like three to one thus far, but it keeps me from having tons of half-finished projects. We also made a New Year resolution and canceled cable television.

Mike Ontko
01-05-2018, 4:35 PM
Professor Dr. SWMBO's one brother had the best resolution for 2017 and plans on adopting it for 2018. I am too. The resolution? Wake up every day on the "correct" side of the grass. :D

Green side up!

Mike Ontko
01-05-2018, 5:10 PM
For me, they're not so much resolutions (i.e., a personal promise to change some unwanted or undesirable behavior) as they are goals and objectives (i.e., plans for the hopeful procrastinator).

I'm currently building a bed for one of my daughters upcoming wedding. I'm hoping to actually finish that while they're still married.

I'm going to build my shop cabinets, eventually...I hope. I still have two of the three sheets of plywood I originally bought for that project. But all of the solid maple that I was going to use for edging and door rails/stiles has already been used.

I'm going to sell my G1022ZF (a circa 2004, 2-hp Grizzly contractor's model) table saw and upgrade to a G0690 10" 3-hp cabinet saw, with riving knife.

And, with luck, after having already built three beds for other folks, I'm going to build one for me and the LOML.

Also, need to get my Forrest WWII sharpened, build a table and mobile cart for my benchtop drill press, and build a mobile cart for my DW735. Come to think of it, the DW375 also needs to be cleaned and have the blades swapped around to the unused sides.

Basically, I'm resolving to do stuff.

Mike Ontko
01-05-2018, 5:15 PM
Less computer - more woodworking. I have a new shop being built!

Have you been introduced to Sketch-Up? Spend time becoming proficient with this CAD tool and you could end up spending more time doing both woodworking and computing combined!

Art Mann
01-06-2018, 1:05 PM
Have you been introduced to Sketch-Up? Spend time becoming proficient with this CAD tool and you could end up spending more time doing both woodworking and computing combined!

I have been designing with Sketchup since before Google bought it. I am currently using Sketchup 2017 and it runs at about half the speed of its predecessor. I would spend less time on the computer if I hadn't upgraded!

I just don't build anything of any complexity anymore without creating a model first.