PDA

View Full Version : LED light fixture with gooseneck arm??

Tom Norton
12-30-2017, 6:41 AM
Anyone have a fixture like this? Thinking about one for over my grinder and one by my chop saw for task lighting.
If you have one where did you find it?
Thanks!

Osvaldo Cristo
12-30-2017, 6:59 AM
When I saw your request I thought immediately on Photography stuff as it is common for macro Photography setup... but it is something expensive.

A fast search in amazon.com by "gooseneck light" brought back a lot of options, most of them muuuch more affordable than I was expecting for.

If you live in the US I think it is easy to find also in some major retailers - I remind I saw a few models even at Walmart/Sam's Club a couple of years ago...

Let us know about them after you eventually purchase some of them and effectively use for your applications.

fred woltersdorf
12-30-2017, 9:52 AM
I don't know if you have an Ikea store nearby but this light looks interesting
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20315674/

Steve Engelschall
12-30-2017, 10:29 AM
The Ikea "Jansjo" lights are great and only $10. I bought the kind that come with a base (I'm not positive but I think the gooseneck is longer on the ones with the base as opposed to the ones with the clamp). Threw the bases away and fabricated new 3-inch bases with a bunch of rare-earth magnets epoxied into the bottom so I can "stick" one to each tool.

Grant Wilkinson
12-30-2017, 10:33 AM
I have a couple of the Ikea Janso lights, and for the price, they are quite good. They don't use batteries, either, so that's another plus.

I have this one from Lee Valley,too. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=71189&cat=1,43349

It is pricey and uses batteries, but it really puts out the light and the magnetic base grips like crazy.l

John K Jordan
12-30-2017, 10:47 AM
Anyone have a fixture like this? Thinking about one for over my grinder and one by my chop saw for task lighting.
If you have one where did you find it?
Thanks!

I probably have two dozen adjustable lamps in my shop but like these best: https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/lamps
I have a bunch of the Super Novas, two Beacons, and a smattering of the little Galaxys, I use them on each lathe, bandsaw, drill press, bench grinder, milling machine, and photo booth.

You forgot to say whether you wanted a magnetic base or a clamp on base or something else. Most of the above are magnetic although I removed the powerful magnet base from the Super Nova I use at my primary lathe and drilled and tapped a hole in the cast iron bracket to hold it. The second photo shows that lamp in use by a student.

374947 374948

These are not inexpensive but funny thing, you get what you pay for. I have cheaper lights but side-by-side there is no comparison for critical task lighting. But because you are cheap (as you proclaimed on the other forum:)) you can certainly get by for less for a chop saw. Even Walmart sells inexpensive lamps with adjustable arms. Buy one and install an LED bulb and be done with it.

JKJ

Jamie Buxton
12-30-2017, 11:00 AM
Brightness can be an issue with LED lamps. The low-price sources rarely tell how many lumens the lamps put out, and that generally means they're dim. The gooseneck one I have on my drill press is nicely flexible, but annoyingly dim. The lamps I saw at Ikea a few years ago were too dim.

John Sincerbeaux
12-30-2017, 11:27 AM
How about installing t5 lights generously in your shop? To me, if you need task lights, your shop is not lighted sufficiently. After installing my t5 lights, the difference was... night and day😜

Charles Lent
12-30-2017, 11:49 AM
I bought 2 of these https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selections-13-25-in-Adjustable-Stainless-Steel-LED-Clip-On-Clip-Desk-Lamp-with-Metal-Shade/1000003084?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-FashionFixtures-_-DecorativeLamps-_-1000003084:Style_Selections&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000003084&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=2368&k_clickID=d6166740-99c8-40c9-9ff3-c7b9cd2ece82&gclid=CjwKCAiAj53SBRBcEiwAT-3A2PPNbp_vD3NbxtgjtAgt6J8Otpe2wehdWciA3XyRcurbfnll X4IkphoCv5cQAvD_BwE to add to my scroll saw, one to each side of the blade cut area. They each have about 12 very bright white LEDs that produce very even lighting of the saw table. Using two of these this way almost completely eliminates the blade shadow, making it very easy to follow the pattern line with the blade.I now have two more of these lights on my other scroll saw, one on my drill press, one on my band saw and one on my grinder, plus two more that I move around for spot lighting. I also have two with heavy weighted bases to put on my display tables when I go to craft shows.

Charley

Chris Draper
12-30-2017, 11:58 AM
I bought this one off of Amazon just a couple weeks ago. So far I have found it to be very nice and bright for additional light on the lathe and band saw. I wasn't expecting too much for $25 but am pleasantly surprised.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012C240BS/

Tom M King
12-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Google Moffatt light , and go to their own website (something like moffattproducts), if you want a good one. They have many choices, and prices are as good on their website, or better than you can find them elsewhere, and they have the full assortment of setups available. If they are too expensive, shop ebay.

John K Jordan
12-30-2017, 1:11 PM
How about installing t5 lights generously in your shop? To me, if you need task lights, your shop is not lighted sufficiently. After installing my t5 lights, the difference was... night and day😜

I agree and disagree. I installed nine 4-bulb T5 fixtures in my shop and they are incredible. I wired mine so only half the bulbs on each fixture come on with the others switchable as needed.

However for task lighting I still prefer additional directed lighting. For example, I use three task lights on my bandsaw, one on either side of the blade and a very bright one over my left shoulder. Regardless of the overhead lights, the critical point of focus on the band saw is always a bit in the shadow of the saw or my head. Same with my drill press. Part of this is for accuracy, part for safety.

There is another place in my shop where I consider bright small-diameter task lights critical - at the wood lathe. Broad, diffuse lighting such as from a ceiling full of long fluorescent bulbs can actually make it more difficult to see and judge compound curves and can hide scratches and defects. "Point source" lights positioned at a glancing angle can put scratches in relative shadow and make them far easier to see. The same with curves: one or more task lights can give visual clues to the actual curvature that are not possible with diffuse overhead lighting. I'm convinced that some of the mediocre turnings and poor finishes I see are at least partially due to inappropriate lighting. If you can't see it, how can you fix it? This is especially important with aging eyes. [Soap box mode off...]

JKJ

Josh Molaver
12-30-2017, 1:16 PM
I probably have two dozen adjustable lamps in my shop but like these best: https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/lamps
I have a bunch of the Super Novas, two Beacons, and a smattering of the little Galaxys, I use them on each lathe, bandsaw, drill press, bench grinder, milling machine, and photo booth.

I will +1 this - the magnetic lights from woodtunerswonders have been amazing for me, I have 3. Not cheap, but high quality - look for coupons, they have them occasionally. No affiliation with them.

Bill Dufour
12-30-2017, 1:35 PM
You can just buy a incandescent lamp and replace the bulb. that is what I did for my bandsaw lamp. It is a small floodlight led bulb. No bigger then a standard round incandescent bulb.
Problem with a factory made LED bulb is the power supply may be low quality and when it fails you are screwed.
Bill D

Steve H Graham
12-30-2017, 2:27 PM
Amazon is full of very cheap sewing lights with strong magnetic bases. You have to be careful to check the lumens, and you will need AC. Also, they're made in China, so if you buy one, you may need to work on it a little. I use one for TIG welding.

Kevin McCluney
12-30-2017, 3:19 PM
I bought one of the aforementioned "sewing machine" LED lights from Amazon with 30 LEDs, 12" gooseneck, and a magnetic base (looks like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012C240BS/). The magnet is plenty strong to hold the light to the side of the bandsaw. With it low profile it also has proven useful with the lathe, particularly when working on the inside of a bowl.

Art Moore
12-30-2017, 5:05 PM
I have two "TROND-Halo-9W-C-Gooseneck-Diffusion" fixtures that I bought from Amazon. They work well, and the price is reasonable.

Keith Pitman
12-30-2017, 5:13 PM

I have a few of these and have found that the arms are flimsy and do not stay in position very well. They are not good with vibrating machines. Also, the light is very directional and only lights up a small area. I have one on my bench 5hat has a heavy base that works quite well on the bench for close work.

Nick Decker
12-31-2017, 12:03 PM
JKJ and Josh M,

I have one of the cheaper LED units like the one linked to on Amazon. It's just OK, but built pretty cheaply, go figger. I had been looking at a couple of the Moffatt units, but have seen some recent reviews that lead me to wonder if they're as good as they once were.

So, I'm leaning toward either the Aurora or the Super Nova sold by woodturnerswonders, which you guys seem to like. Not being a turner, I'm wondering if the Super Nova might be overkill for me. My main use would be for the bandsaw, maybe occasionally as a task light at the work bench. I guess my problem is that I've not seen either first hand, and wonder about real world brightness as opposed to lumens. Any guidance?

glenn bradley
12-31-2017, 12:16 PM
At 88 lumens the Ikea lamp shown is about on par with a free Harbor Freight flashlight which can seem quite bright at close range. As others have stated, the price point on LED fixtures continues to drop. Your focus should be on how much light you need and at what distance. One of the failings of some LED's is that the intensity falls off quickly. Early attempts at shop lights failed due to this. The problem is solved but, you need to choose your lamp carefully to make sure it meets your requirements. I went back to a small flood on my bandsaw as the LED lamp had to be so close that it interfered with what I was doing. Work at your grinder may be narrow in scope, like grinding a new bevel on a chisel, and therefor crowding would not be as much of an issue. The multiple emitters in my bandsaw fixture also caused numerous shadows which did not work well for me. If you choose a multi-emitter head, be sure the light is focused or has a fresnel of some kind to avoid multi-shadow situations; for detail work these are murder.

Nick Decker
12-31-2017, 2:36 PM
Thanks, Glenn. With the bandsaw, all I really need is a well-lit view of exactly where the blade is going, as opposed to closely inspecting a turned surface for scratches or whatever. I don't mind spending a bit more for more lumens, just not sure it's necessary (or desireable).

Also want a long, stable gooseneck and a strong magnet, which both of these lamps apparently have.

John K Jordan
12-31-2017, 4:29 PM
For anyone considering one of the many "sewing machine" lights out there as a task light (those with 24-30 LEDS, magnetic base with a switch, and a short flexible gooseneck): I took this photo a few minutes ago. It has a Super Nova light (from Woodturners Wonders) and the smaller light both aimed at the wall behind my sharpening station. The SN is on the left; the small light is on the right. And yes, it's turned on.

Both lamps are about the same distance from the plywood wall.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=375058&d=1514753940

This picture points to the lamp head positions:

I also got out the light meter. The Super Nova light measured about 10,000 lux at 1'. The "sewing machine" light measured less than 500 lux at 1'.

Note that the lux reading does not tell the whole story. The total light output in all directions in lumens needs to be measured in an integrating sphere. The small light does have more spread so the total light output difference is a tiny bit different but not enough to make a difference as a task light. Since the object of a task light is to put light on a task, the wider spread on the smaller light may be wasted for some tasks.

The lengths of the goosenecks are quite different as well: 30" for the SN vs 8" for the small light.

I do use a number of the smaller lights in the shop. However, this picture may help explain why the Super Nova lamp is my first choice for task lighting at the grinders, lathes, bandsaw, drill press, etc. The only downside is the price but I decided I was worth it. :)

JKJ

Bob Bouis
12-31-2017, 4:51 PM
You can buy sewing lamps that take regular bulbs for $12 or so each online. They look like this.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=373047&d=1512574427

They mount by way of a hollow threaded rod.

You can use any LED bulb you want; I have small flood lights in there. They're 90+ CRI and, I guarantee you, brighter than any of those little clip on lamps with built in LEDs.

Nick Decker
12-31-2017, 6:00 PM
Thanks for the pics and explanation, John. I'll be ordering one of the WTW lamps, just haven't quite decided which one.

The "sewing machine" lamp I'm using is probably similar to the small lamp in your photo. Near as I can figure, its 30 LEDs add up to one watt of illumination. (The seller doesn't list lumens, but my guess is about 100). I'm thinking the Aurora model, from WTW, would work best for me. Five times the power/light that I have, plus much better attachment and positioning.

Nick Decker
01-01-2018, 7:20 AM
I emailed Ken (owner) and he confirmed my suspicion that the Super Nova (most powerful) may be more than I need for bandsaw use. By responding, personally, at 7:30 on New Year's Eve, he passed my Customer Service Test and I'll be ordering the Aurora lamp. :)

Gregory King
01-01-2018, 9:05 AM
374947 374948. Even Walmart sells inexpensive lamps with adjustable arms. Buy one and install an LED bulb and be done with it.

JKJ

Right on John. Exactly where I bought mine. One for the bandsaw and one for my router station. Install the flat LED bulbs ad away you go.

Terry Wawro
01-01-2018, 3:46 PM
Amazon is full of very cheap sewing lights with strong magnetic bases. You have to be careful to check the lumens, and you will need AC. Also, they're made in China, so if you buy one, you may need to work on it a little. I use one for TIG welding.

I just bought a cheap LED sewing light off of EBAY to go with the new Rikon bandsaw Santa brought me. The light is not super bright but it's bright enough for me. It comes with a strong mag base and I think it was around $16 with free shipping.

Tim Boger
01-01-2018, 4:57 PM
I have a couple of these around my Lathe, they sure beat not having anything but their not really enough.

John K Jordan
01-01-2018, 5:20 PM
...the Super Nova (most powerful) may be more than I need for bandsaw use....

The Aurora is a good lamp and it has the same long gooseneck as the Super Nova. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

We all have different needs, of course, but I find the brighter lamp perfect for the bandsaw - I position it behind my shoulder with two other lamps on either side. Perhaps if using JUST the bright light in a darkened area there may be issues with harsh shadows but this is not an issue with good room lighting.

I even use a Super Nova at the drill press, plus an additional lamp.

Too bad you can't try them all. Knowing Ken, I'd almost bet he would send one of each and let you return what you didn't want!

John McClanahan
01-01-2018, 5:48 PM
I have both the Ikea and the sewing lights. The Ikea is the better light, plus it has a longer gooseneck.

Nick Decker
01-01-2018, 6:01 PM
The Aurora is a good lamp and it has the same long gooseneck as the Super Nova. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. We all have different needs, of course, but I find the brighter lamp perfect for the bandsaw - I position it behind my shoulder with two other lamps on either side. Perhaps if using JUST the bright light in a darkened area there may be issues with harsh shadows but this is not an issue with good room lighting. I even use a Super Nova at the drill press, plus an additional lamp. Too bad you can't try them all. Knowing Ken, I'd almost bet he would send one of each and let you return what you didn't want!

Ken said he uses the Beacon (least bright of the three) on his band saw. Other than his quick response last night, he impressed me by not automatically trying to steer me to his most expensive lamp. And, his return policy sounds liberal enough that I imagine if the Aurora isn't bright enough, he would let me exchange it.

The cheapo lamp I'm using is borderline, so I'm guessing the Aurora, at 5X the lumens, will be fine.