PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite tape measure?

stan shields
12-29-2017, 5:48 PM
So what do you like for use in the shop, cabinet making and other smaller projects.

Neil Gaskin
12-29-2017, 6:14 PM
Either a fat max 16' or the fast cap tape that lays flat. I go back and forth.

Dave Cav
12-29-2017, 6:20 PM
10 foot Lee Valley in right and left hand. Light, compact, long enough for furniture.

Andrew J. Coholic
12-29-2017, 6:27 PM
Tajima gplus-16

Cary Falk
12-29-2017, 6:28 PM
I like the feel of the Stanley Fax Max 25'. I also have a DeWalt 16" of a similar design that I am trying out.

Martin Wasner
12-29-2017, 6:34 PM
Tigerstop

Extra characters

William Adams
12-29-2017, 7:04 PM
A small ("ADD 2" FOR CASE") Lufkin Chrome Clad Mezurall --- originally a 12ft. C9212, it now has a new 10' tape in it which I picked up N.O.S. on eBay (got tired of waiting for a 12' to show up --- I suppose now I'll go back to looking, either for a 12' tape, or a 10' tape)

Joe. Rivera
12-29-2017, 7:13 PM
Original Stanley metal case 12' w/schoolbus yellow tape rule.

Ken Kortge
12-29-2017, 7:17 PM
I prefer the self-locking tape measures, where you pull the tape out, it stays put on its own, and then you press a button to retract it, and you can release the button to brake the return. I HATE slide locks that you have to slide to lock in place. They always seem awkward to lock.

I very much prefer the yellow bodied Komelon Self Lock 16 ft. x 1 in. with the 1/8 inch fraction reminders printed on the tape (helps my old brain).

https://www.komelonusa.com/products/tape-measures/self-lock/116

Bill Bukovec
12-29-2017, 7:21 PM
Milwaukee. Picked up two from a sale at True Value.

Bradley Gray
12-29-2017, 7:23 PM
Lufkin if I need to use a tape - otherwise a 6ft Lufkin hook end folding rule

George Bokros
12-29-2017, 7:27 PM
Fast Cap 16 ft and a Fast Cap flat back - great for layout on sheet goods and even on regular stock. Just have to realize it limitation.

Nick Decker
12-29-2017, 7:36 PM
This one from Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=71705&cat=1,43513

Josh Lucus
12-29-2017, 7:45 PM
25’ Fat Max for most things. FastCap Flatback for layout.

Jeff Duncan
12-29-2017, 7:54 PM
In the shop it's Stanley 16's in the chrome plastic case. It's perfect size for cabinet making, don't like bulky tapes in the shop. For on site measurements I use a 25' Fat Max as it has the best standout.

good luck,
JeffD

Mike Kreinhop
12-29-2017, 8:05 PM
Hultafors PR8M Class I 8-meter tape measure and a BMI 620MFS Class II 2-meter aluminum folding rule. I have one of each in the shop and the garage. The accuracy is great, but the repeatability between them is what I wanted.

Chris Parks
12-29-2017, 8:06 PM
So what do you like for use in the shop, cabinet making and other smaller projects.

I use a steel rule(s), way more accurate than a tape. If I am forced to use a tape for longer than one metre it is a BMI Quicky. Guaranteed accuracy standard, the edges lay on the material so it can be used to draw lines, fits in my pocket etc. All the rest are for working on landscaping and carpentry projects. The three metre version has dual imperial/metric scales while the 2 metre is straight metric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkfpBhiXdJw

Justin Ludwig
12-29-2017, 8:22 PM
On site: Stanley 25’
in shop: Fast Cap lefty/righty

In shop supreme accuracy: Tigerstop

Jamie Buxton
12-29-2017, 8:41 PM
A Lee Valley 10' tape that is marked in decimal inches. Lee Valley offered them only for a couple of years. I bought ten. I've given away several of them, along with my speech about how decimal inches is way way better than fractional inches. The rest I'm hoarding.

Jim Becker
12-29-2017, 9:14 PM
My current favorite tape measure is my Lee Valley metric tape measure. :) Why? Because it's the one I'm now using the most and seems to be quite accurate in the range that I typically use a tape measure for.

Lee Schierer
12-29-2017, 9:26 PM
I prefer a Stanley 30 ft PowerLock® Classic Tape because I helped make the machine that winds the recoil spring in the reel and then connects and winds the tape around the reel. The only problem is I own three of them and they like to hide in my shop. I do try to use the same one through out a project, though I've never noticed a difference between them.

Brad Adams
12-29-2017, 9:36 PM
Where can you buy an all metric tape measure? I can’t find them anywhere here in eastern Iowa.

Mac McQuinn
12-29-2017, 9:44 PM
A small ("ADD 2" FOR CASE") Lufkin Chrome Clad Mezurall --- originally a 12ft. C9212, it now has a new 10' tape in it which I picked up N.O.S. on eBay (got tired of waiting for a 12' to show up --- I suppose now I'll go back to looking, either for a 12' tape, or a 10' tape)

Ditto, these feel "right" in your hand, slide into a jeans pocket w/o restriction and for some reason, I can read the marks easier than most.
Mac

Ray Newman
12-29-2017, 9:47 PM
This thread made me think.

For years, I have relied upon a Made-In-The-US-of-A bright green plastic case 16 foot, 3/4" Starrett #65388 tape. Bought it when I lived in California, probably in the mid 1990's. It is the easiest tape for me to read. I am surprised at its longevity, but I only use it in the shop, slowly pull out and release the tape, etc. Back in the day I liked it so much, I bought another one and the unopened bister package it says 1997.

Clint Baxter
12-29-2017, 10:51 PM
Where can you buy an all metric tape measure? I can’t find them anywhere here in eastern Iowa.

I use a Fastcap True 32, a Fastcap metric/imperial and Stanley Fatmax 5M the most. I ordered the metric Fatmax’s, (got both a 5 meter and an 8 meter), through Amazon. Both ended up coming from the UK. The Fastcap tapes are also available through Amazon, or you can find their whole selection on Fastcap website. (I may have ordered the True 32 there.)

I do use the Fastcap flatbacks often as well. Have both metric and imperial there as well.

Clint

Frederick Skelly
12-29-2017, 10:52 PM
Oddly enough, it's one I bought from Aldi a couple years back for $6.

John K Jordan
12-29-2017, 10:55 PM
I use only Stanley Leverlock steel measuring tapes. I have at least a dozen in various lengths. The operation is excellent, autolock with lever release and I don't have to push something to lock. After one mistake I'm careful not to buy one with the scale for the uneducated public (fraction labels every 1/8") - what an annoyance. I also make sure they don't have magnets on the hook - another annoyance, especially at the sawmill where everything is made of steel.

They are bright yellow and hard to lose.

My other favorite linear measuring device is not a tape but a Bosch laser measure - I used it constantly while building my shop and for construction around the farm. Consistently accurate to 1/16".

JKJ

Bill Dufour
12-29-2017, 11:05 PM
Starrett makes metric only tapes that cost only $5.00
Harbor Freight has no metric tape measures at all!
Bill

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/KTS34-5M-N

Mike Henderson
12-29-2017, 11:17 PM
I use a couple that I got from Lee Valley that are center finding tapes.

Mike

Bill Space
12-29-2017, 11:29 PM
My favorite tape measure is (gasp!) the Harbor Freight 25’ tape measure that I get for free, when buying a 99 cent pair of scissors for 80 cents, with a 20 % off coupon. (The scissors are a great find too).

Why? Because I have ten of them and can always find one when the other nine disappear!

They actually are pretty accurate...but when I need to be exact I don’t use a tape measure, preferring to use sticks.

To each his his own I guess. 😀

keith wootton
12-29-2017, 11:32 PM
stanley 30 foot powerlock at work. 25 footer in the shop. they last a very long time unless you drop them in the lake, which is an occupational hazard when you work over water. easy to read and measure consistantly. what i do not like are the newer style and cheaper stanley. the ones that only have 7 foot holdout do not last, but they are what i buy my crew because they are prone to dropping them before they wear out! also hate the little flange on the the top side of the hook on the new ones that catch your thumb when you retract the tape. ouch. never near a grinder when that happens, either...

Mike Trent
12-29-2017, 11:35 PM
What Bill said. The best tape is the one I can *find*.

But I prefer a steel rule whenever possible.

Mike Heidrick
12-29-2017, 11:38 PM
Fatmax 16' autolock. Have several. They are placed throughout shop.

Andrew Seemann
12-29-2017, 11:40 PM
Standard 16' Stanley PowerLock. I keep at least 6 in the shop, so I can find the darned things. They are a convenient size and weight, and i can still see the markings on them.

Curt Harms
12-30-2017, 7:31 AM
I think my most used tape is a Stanley 6' fat max. I have 2, 1 in the shop and one with keys and other claptrap for use in the house. They're small enough to not be noticeable in a pocket and seem accurate. I also have a Komeleon (sp?) 12' fraction/metric. There are times metric is simply easier, such as dividing a space into equal parts.

Osvaldo Cristo
12-30-2017, 7:34 AM

Carpenter's fold rulers has been the standard in the place I live since "forever". Always there was a great selection and the best seller has been Bambu (https://lcferragens.com.br/metro-bambu-madeira-duplo-b-natural) - very popular brand here... for the more exigent guys there are also Swedish brand Hafele and one German brand also. If I was in the US I probably would go to Lufkin, this particular model (http://www.lufkintool.com/rules/lufkin-x48n-8-x-5-8-wood-rule-red-endr-with-6-slide-rule-extension.html) looks great IMO, but it is not available locally.

In the last twenty years the measure tapes has increased its popularity and now it is common to find them at retailers although they are not "dominant", yet. Traditionally locals reserved "tape measure" only for bigger measures (above 2 m) - I have an almost 30 years old Lufkin 30 m tape I used when constructing our home but used just a few times after that (actually, at this moment I cannot remember where I stored it)...

I have also an old 5m metal tape Lufkin I purchased more than 20 years ago and one newer from Irwin, I believe both were made locally in their factories. I use them but as my second option for most applications, except for a few ones...

All the best,

Philipp Jaindl
12-30-2017, 8:27 AM
Sola PRO-TM 3m Class I, nicely compact and an easy to read tape that doesnt reflect much. I dont like overly bulky ones and 3m has so far been long enough for most things.
Hultafors rebrands the Sola tape measures, those are sometimes cheaper then the Sola branded ones.

William Adams
12-30-2017, 8:53 AM
Yeah the folding rules are wonderfully nice and traditional.

Bought a very well-worn Stanley #62 to use w/ my Odd Jobs repro, but really wish that the J. Rabone & Sons boxwood rule which I bought (it was mis-labeled as a Stanley #62) were fully brass bound --- it's in amazingly good shape.

Wish I could justify buying a nicer brass-bound rule to use.

Derek Cohen
12-30-2017, 9:06 AM
As with Chris, I really like the BMI for anything over 1m. The 3M Festool (made by BMI) is also very handy. These are very accurate tapes. The BMI can also be used as a straight edge as it lies flat.

https://s19.postimg.org/nklm6w0wj/Tape1a_zpsiyexqh2h.jpg

For heavy duty work I like the Starrett ContrLok. Stiff blade and the lock system is the easiest of all to use ...

https://s19.postimg.org/3vwd8d1tf/Tape2.jpg

Most of the time I will mark with a marking gauge, compass, or story stick.

Regards from Perth

Derek

michael langman
12-30-2017, 11:22 AM
I prefer my Stanley 30-516 16' Leverlock with the black plastic body and yellow lever lock. Fits the hand , has 32'nds up to 1', and has lasted the test of time.

Jerome Stanek
12-30-2017, 11:52 AM
I have about a dozen Harbor freight tapes around the shop

jack duren
12-30-2017, 1:08 PM
As long as it has the anti shock feature I'll use it. Best tape I ever used was a True Value ServiceStar tape measure in the early 80's

Alan Lightstone
12-30-2017, 1:26 PM
Fastcap flat back (both imperial, and lately more and more using just metric), or the center tape measure.

Jim Becker
12-30-2017, 2:11 PM
Lee Valley. And I've been enjoying using it.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=32564&cat=1,43513,43515

http://www.leevalley.com/us/images/item/woodworking/markmeasure/06k1108s1.jpg

andy bessette
12-30-2017, 2:26 PM
Miniature 10' Lufkin is always in my pocket.

Steve H Graham
12-30-2017, 2:26 PM
Milwaukee and DeWalt make little keychain 6' tapes. You can find them at Home Depot. I realized 95% of my measuring jobs were under 6', so I bought one.

Does anyone here have any evidence that cheaper tapes are less accurate? I find it hard to believe that any reputable manufacturer would make a mismarked steel tape, and I would not expect a steel tape to expand or contract.

If anyone has a good suggestion for a 25' tape which responds well to being dropped on concrete over and over, let me know. My big tapes spend more time on the floor than in the cart.

andy bessette
12-30-2017, 2:36 PM
...Does anyone here have any evidence that cheaper tapes are less accurate?...

What difference would it make, as long as you always measure with that tape?

Alan Lightstone
12-30-2017, 2:36 PM

Fastcap has several. Amazon is your friend (as is google).

Alan Lightstone
12-30-2017, 3:16 PM

Additive errors, for one. Unable to fit finished piece into a fixed space (measured by others). Many more. Hard to argue with getting something accurate.

Mike Kreinhop
12-30-2017, 3:24 PM
Does anyone here have any evidence that cheaper tapes are less accurate? I find it hard to believe that any reputable manufacturer would make a mismarked steel tape, and I would not expect a steel tape to expand or contract.

I don't think it is intentional mismarking, but the Class I, II, and III certifications must be available for a reason. The local hardware store has 11 different folding rules and 23 different metal tape measures. None of them are designated as even a Class III measure, which is likely reflected in the prices. The most expensive 10-Meter tape measure is €15.90 (about $18.25) and the most expensive 2-Meter wooden folding rule is €3.25 (about $3.75).

At one point, my garage trash can had two tape measures and three wooden folding rules that started varying noticeably at about the 300 mm point and got progressively worse towards the end of the rule markings. I was assembling parts and making measurements for cutting in my basement using one folding rule, and cutting the parts to measure using another folding rule in the garage. After several attempts to fit a panel in a frame, I realized the two folding rules, from the same company, varied at the lengths I was using and were off by about 1.5 mm. The tape measure I had been using was also off by about 0.5 mm in the other direction. I had three measuring devices, all with different markings, and had no idea which one was the most accurate. I finished the job using one folding rule for measuring and cutting, and then learned about Class I, II, and III tapes and rules. None of the tapes or rules I had were marked, so they went into the bin and I bought the Hultafors and BMI measures.

When using the Hultafors as a reference, the rip fence guide on my SC2 is off by just over 0.5 mm at 110 cm. It appears to be accurate at 20 cm, but the variation is noticeable at 30 cm. I confirmed this with both the Hultafors and the BMI, and will overlay the guide with a Starrett Class II steel tape measure with adhesive back. The guide on the crosscut arm is also off, so it will be modified as well with a Starrett Class II steel tape.

John K Jordan
12-30-2017, 4:35 PM
I would not expect a steel tape to expand or contract.

I believe steel expands at almost 5" per mile for every degree of temperature change (F). Cool a measuring tape from 90 deg to 0 deg and check something 30' long. Of course, what you are checking may shrink too. My fences tighten up considerably in the winter. For short distances and small temperature changes it won't make much difference.

I don't think the price alone affects the quality of a tape. More would depend on the way the scale is printed.

JKJ

andy bessette
12-30-2017, 5:39 PM
... Unable to fit finished piece into a fixed space (measured by others)...

You're joking!

Martin Wasner
12-30-2017, 7:11 PM

A tape measure lasts me about 4-8 months. I usually buy 2-3 at a time and pull them out as needed. I always scratch the date into the case in the back. I've been using the same Stanley model for close to ten years I'd bet.

Some are better than others. Pins are too loose so the blade/catch moves more than the thickness of itself. Things aren't printed accurately and there's variance in accuracy over the length. Sometimes the blade needs to be bent to get it spot on too. Some are perfect.

Darcy Warner
12-30-2017, 7:21 PM
Tigerstop

Extra characters

That's a good one. Lol

I like the Komelon ones anymore.

peter gagliardi
12-30-2017, 9:47 PM
I have used the Stanley fat max 16' tapes in the shop since they came out, and the fat max 25-30' on construction sites for just as long. The Stanleys seem to have a thicker blade that resists kinks and breaks better than others.
I also only buy the yellow plastic case models.
The chrome coating does not last, and once it starts to flake is sharp as #%*%!
They are pretty consistent in accuracy from one to the next.

Dave Lehnert
12-30-2017, 10:09 PM
I did a quick read through all the post and surprised I did not see Lufkin Quick Read.
Great for setting the fence on the table saw. You are not looking at the measurement upside down.

Dave Lehnert
12-30-2017, 10:17 PM

I build industrial electrical control panels at work, What we build will later be installed on machines built by our customers. Our tape measures must be exact or they wont fit.

John Lanciani
12-31-2017, 7:05 AM
I like the original Stanley LeverLock. They haven’t been made in years but I still find new ones from time to time at flea markets. As a lefty, they are one of the few that work well for me and read right side up from left to right.

jack duren
12-31-2017, 8:44 AM
TigerStops have to be tweaked as well from time to time.

John Gornall
12-31-2017, 10:11 AM
Lufkin executive tape - 1/4" wide by 6 feet - no hook error as zero is 3" from end - about the size of a silver dollar but thicker - round - always in my pocket - accurate

Jerome Stanek
12-31-2017, 10:22 AM
At time my favorite is the one I can find

stan shields
12-31-2017, 11:46 AM
The big issue is the hook. The rivet holes become elongated over time. I have had to tweak the hooks of some older tapes I have.

Rod Sheridan
12-31-2017, 4:01 PM

Happy New Year Brad, I presume you can mail order one from lee Valley?

Regards, Rod.

Dave Loebach
12-31-2017, 6:00 PM
Stabila. No comparison.

Mel Fulks
12-31-2017, 7:44 PM
I was not aware of the Lufkin Executive tape before seeing it mentioned here. It's 6' and lowest price I can find is $16.
Harbor Freight has a 10 foot similar rule that I have checked with 2 foot Starrette blade. Accurate!! I have arranged for all here to get one ....for one dollar!! Use it "only for good...never evil". All the best to you all!!

Dennis Tebo
12-31-2017, 8:38 PM
I have two HF 'freebies'. I ripped some wood for my bench build and the fence was set with one of them, a little later I checked the rip, just happened to be with the other tape and I was an eighth over. I was like, what happened? Checked with the first tape and I was good. I brought out the steel rule and checked them both. The first one was within a 64th but the other was an eighth over. It could have been a disaster if it was an eighth under! I wrapped the bad tape in blue painters tape and chucked it in the corner of the garage! Now that I think of it, what a waste of painters tape. Now I always use the steel rule for small stuff and leave the tape for longer lengths that aren't so critical.

Dennis

Derek Cohen
01-01-2018, 12:49 AM
Now that I think of it, what a waste of painters tape. Now I always use the steel rule for small stuff and leave the tape for longer lengths that aren't so critical.

Hi Dennis

Old tapes can be cut up and used as glue spatulas.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Joe Jensen
01-01-2018, 11:22 AM
I love the Fisco Big T tapes. They are not cheap, but they have a fantastic end that reads correctly inside and outside measures, they have a fine flip down tip measure inside brilliantly, and they have a great lock. They make many lengths and english or metric. Also, I just went into the shop and measured 3 of them against my 2 foot and 3 foot bridge city rulers and they all measure exactly 2 ft and 3 ft.

Mike Kreinhop
01-01-2018, 11:44 AM
I love the Fisco Big T tapes. They are not cheap, but they have a fantastic lock, they measure inside brilliantly, and they have a great lock. They make many lengths and english or metric. Also, I just went into the shop and measured 3 of them against my 2 foot and 3 foot bridge city rulers and they all measure exactly 2 ft and 3 ft.

Fisco is owned by Hultafors and your Big T is likely a Class I tape. :D

Larry Edgerton
01-01-2018, 2:12 PM
https://www.zoro.com/stanley-tape-measure-1-in-x-25-ft-chrome-inft-33-525/i/G0366676/

I buy these by the case. They do not have a hook, which i like, they feel much better in the hand, and most important you can't buy them around here so as I am the only one that has them on a job, they tend to walk away less than the standard Stanleys. I often use rules in the shop rather than tapes.

jack duren
01-01-2018, 2:57 PM
I was actually looking for new Carhartt bibs today for work and these caught my attention for work. Tired of chasing my tape around in winter...

Ted Derryberry
01-01-2018, 5:07 PM
Right now I don't have one, I'm trying to figure out what to try next. I was in commercial construction for years and carried a Stanley 30' or 35' mostly for checking room dimensions and site layout. That's way too bulky for the shop so it's been a Stanley 25' as that's the shortest I could find with the 1" wide blade which I like for it's stiffness. Recently I bought a 3 pack of FastCap lefty/righty as they are 16' with a 1" blade. I gave one to my son who's a welder/fabricator and it wasn't long before he reported it wasn't accurate against other rules and tapes he had a work. I checked the two I kept and sure enough they gain about 1/32" in 4' or so against my old Stanley, and then agree with it again by 8'. They aren't consistent with each other either. I'm still using them, but only for very rough work like making sure I grab the right board out of the pile. I really try to use a ruler when I can but it's not always practical on larger projects. Not long ago I realized a rather expensive ruler I own is probably the least accurate of all of them as it gains a full 1/16" in 48". I'm not naming a company for now as I'll be carrying it to trade shows until I run across them to see what they have to say about it.

Jordan Lane
01-01-2018, 7:53 PM
Chris where did you purchase your BMI rules?

Peter Kelly
01-02-2018, 1:20 AM
Funny, that Fisco tape is identical to the Sola ones. Wonder who in England makes these...

https://i.imgur.com/g7cXHR4.jpg

Andrew Pitonyak
01-02-2018, 12:38 PM
I have a strong preference to the Fastcap tape measures. I find them to be the easiest to read. Even my Father-In-Law was enamored by them.

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/ProCarpenter-3p112.htm

peter gagliardi
01-02-2018, 3:28 PM
I have never seen the Fisco or Sola ones here in the States. I have also never seen here the rating system for the accuracy of the tape like what appears to be standard in England, or Europe for that matter.
In the shop, the tape measure plays second fiddle to the digital fences on the Martin saw.
As a colleage of mine said to me once, "one of your instruments needs to be "the boss" as far as measuring goes. Are you going to trust a $10-15.00 tape measure, or the digital readouts on the $30-50k saw?"

Cary Falk
01-02-2018, 3:41 PM
Confucius says " He with many tapes never knows what measurement it is." :D

lowell holmes
01-02-2018, 5:40 PM
A borrowed one. :)

Just kidding.

Chris Parks
01-02-2018, 7:35 PM
Chris where did you purchase your BMI rules?

Jordan, I bought my 2 metre fully metric versions locally but my three metre imperial/metric version came off Ebay out of Hong Kong as that was not sold locally. I found this http://www.bmitools.com/conttrade/small_levels_tapes.htm but they don't show the Quicky which I find strange and it might pay to contact them and ask the question. Ebay Germany would definitely be a candidate as would Ebay UK. I like the concept of the Festool type but I have too many tapes none of which I use in the workshop at all, I bought a few Hultafor tapes simply for their ability to measure internally very accurately and the ability to measure a cylinder very accurately. From now on I will only buy European made tapes as they have a certified accuracy and that is stated on the tape.

I have to admit to being a convert to BMI as when I bought the first one I thought it would sit in the drawer and gather dust but on the contrary I use it all the time for quick confirmation measurement, finding a length of timber to cut etc all the time. I simply like the way the Europeans have of printing easy to see crisp markings on the tape and it makes them a pleasure to use. If I am cutting and measuring for a project them I always use a steel rule as the engravings can be used to set dividers, trammel bars etc, mortise gauges etc way more precisely than the eye can do.

I may as well add something here that a lot of people most probably do not realise and that is if we measure something then transfer that measurement to a fence on a machine have we transferred the measurement or using the fence tape just put the same number in? I have about six fences in my workshop on various machines and they were accurate to the fence tape but they all cut slightly differently. I had made a standard measure that was machined and measured to a vernier which is as accurate as we as WW's are likely to need and set all my fences to that so they all cut the same no matter which fence is used.

Peter Kelly
01-02-2018, 8:25 PM
The tape on that BMI Vario is black increments on dark gray so totally difficult to read. I think the Festool is the same thing but black / white tape.

stan shields
01-03-2018, 11:36 AM
I found a website in the U.S. that sells the Frisco tapes:
https://www.needthattool.com/bt12e.aspx
Interesting that the major brands like Stanley don't talk about accuracy. I ordered a BT16E, will report back when it arrives, looks interesting.

Chris Stephenson
01-03-2018, 12:53 PM
The closest one to me or that I can find, but i'm slowly replacing them all with Fastcaps. Love the flat back for marking out measurements

stan shields
01-05-2018, 5:16 PM
Amazon has the Fisco big T tapes, just got the 16 footer, it's excellent.
https://www.amazon.com/BT12E-Fisco-Tape-Measure-Wide/dp/B00JGZBLO4/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1515190340&sr=8-14&keywords=fisco+tape+measure

Peter Kelly
01-06-2018, 11:58 AM
Ordered a Fisco 16' yesterday! Thanx for the recommendations.