PDA

View Full Version : Antique wood vise/clamp problem

steve veale
12-28-2017, 9:23 PM
I recently bought an antique wood clamp with WOOD THREADS. The threads are stuck on both handles on the clamp. I’m afraid to put too much torque on it and possibly damaging it. Any suggestions on how to break it loose?
Thanks!
Steve

Mel Fulks
12-28-2017, 9:38 PM
Any kind of wax would probably work, but I like bees wax. Even though it seems sticky ,it works well for that type of job.
You could melt it to apply. Might be good to use a couple of those rubber jar opener things to torque without damaging the wood.

Jim Morgan
12-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Wood is hygroscopic- it absorbs and releases moisture as ambient relative humidity changes. When wood absorbs moisture, it swells, and this may be the cause of your sticking threads. Driving off the moisture will cause the wood to shrink. You can do this by leaving the clamp in a warm (~200°) oven for a couple of hours (preferably electric, since gas combustion gives off lots of water vapor). Once you have gotten the threads loose, lubricating them with wax will help prevent them from getting stuck again.

steve veale
12-28-2017, 10:56 PM
Wood is hygroscopic- it absorbs and releases moisture as ambient relative humidity changes. When wood absorbs moisture, it swells, and this may be the cause of your sticking threads. Driving off the moisture will cause the wood to shrink. You can do this by leaving the clamp in a warm (~200°) oven for a couple of hours (preferably electric, since gas combustion gives off lots of water vapor). Once you have gotten the threads loose, lubricating them with wax will help prevent them from getting stuck again.

THE WOOD WONT BURN?
steve

Terry Therneau
12-28-2017, 11:13 PM
451 degrees = the temperature at which paper will light, hence the title of Ray Bradbury's book. In a 200 degree oven you are not yet close to this.

Terry T.

steve veale
12-28-2017, 11:38 PM
Thanks Terry and Mel. I’ll try those ideas when I’m back home next week.

steve veale
12-31-2017, 10:25 PM
James and Terry, the oven trick worked perfectly! Thanks for the great advice!