PDA

View Full Version : Her third lesson, her first wand

John K Jordan
12-28-2017, 8:25 PM
This young friend wanted to make a magic wand for a present for a college professor. Her only experience at the lathe was over two years ago when we had one spindle-turning lesson and one bowl-turning lesson. She had not touched a lathe since.

As a review I showed her the process on a practice wand blank and let her try each cut to get a feel for the tools again. I brought out a roughing gouge, spindle gouge, and two skew chisels.

It took her about two minutes to learn the "left-hand steady rest" technique with the skew. Then she started on a yellow poplar blank and finished this wand. The only thing I did was watch and correct tool presentation and technique as needed. I was impressed since thin spindles like this can be a challenge at times, even to turners with some experience.

When she finished she said "I think the easiest tool for me was the pointy one, the skew thing" :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=374815&d=1514510375

(When I teach turning to beginners the first tool in their hands is the skew.)

JKJ

Damon McLaughlin
12-28-2017, 8:59 PM
Looks like she learned quite well with the skew, nice looking wand.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-28-2017, 9:01 PM
It would appear both teacher and student are good!

The skew is one of my favorite tools for spindle turning. I must admit the Robert Sorby bedan I bought a few months ago is rapidly become a favorite too.

Mel Fulks
12-28-2017, 9:19 PM
Sounds like it's easier to make a magic wand than just a skinny stick! Skilled master and interested student ,a proven path forward.