PDA

View Full Version : Today's segment is on segments

Andy Hoyt
11-07-2005, 8:30 PM
Great minds must think alike since I too have been using the glue bottle lately. Keith Burn's ornament from a week or so ago inspired me to crank some out.

These are padauk and yellowheart wrapped around a piece of cherry. Finials and icycles are also cherry. Longest one is about nine inches OAL shortest one is about seven and a half OAL. Sanded to 1500 and then friction polished.

I don't care for the finials and icycles being cherry - big mistake. But I can't think of what to replace them/it with.

Had the same predetermined shape in mind for each one. And not one ended up anywhere near it.

Comments?

Loy Hawes
11-07-2005, 8:37 PM
Very nice Andy! Excellent choice matching up the padauk with the yellow heart.I like the two forms on the right the most. Maybe walnut would look better than the cherry?

Jim Ketron
11-07-2005, 8:38 PM
Oh yea some nice ones Andy!
Got to try them out soon!

Jeremiah Jordan
11-07-2005, 8:49 PM
Very Nice. I like em. Maybe using some dark wood such as ebony or blackwood would be more towards your desire.

Jeremiah

John Hart
11-07-2005, 9:36 PM
Beautifully done Andy! Keith is getting to be quite the Mentor around these parts. I like them all....But I like the last one on the right the best. Very cool sir! ;)

Keith Burns
11-07-2005, 9:45 PM
I like those a lot especially the two on the right. Maple might look good for the icecicle ? Oh, by the way, do you mind if I copy the idea? Half the things I start, turn out different than what I had in mind.

Shelley Bolster
11-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Those are so COOL!! Really, I could have a whole tree of them - very classy! Great job on them Andy - thanks for the pic.

Mark Cothren
11-07-2005, 11:52 PM
These look great! Very nice work!

Thanks for the picture!

Chris Barton
11-08-2005, 7:31 AM
Andy, they look great to me. Are they hollow inside? If not, do you think they would be a bit heavy for use on a tree?

Bill Stevener
11-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi Andy,
Your ornaments look great. I love turning them. You may wish to try an inside-out with the same work-up. Purple heart may go well, for the icicle final, with your color selection. But, that's only the way I see it.
Keep going, the styles are limitless. Thanks for the photo.
Bill.>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
11-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks! As ever, comments tend to encourage more effort so I'll be making some more in the near future. Just happen to have about three more feet up glued up stuff.

Yup, I think I should have gone with a darker wood. Will have to rummage around to see what I've got.

Keith - copy away, as long as you post some pics so I can feel inadequate all over again.

Chris - Nope, they're not hollow. I tried that last year on some of these and net loss in weight was neglible. Just hang 'em on the stouter branches. Which begs the question - Do turners favor real Christmas trees or those fake ones? I usually employ the Clark W. Griswold method.

Bill - I've really wanted to try some inside out stuff, but have never been able to wrap my head around the concept at a time when my head wasn't clouded over with other stuff. A club member friend does this a lot and his results are absolutely astounding. And while I do like purpleheart in it's natural state, I've never really cared for the color once finished. Why does it do that?

Thanks again. Nest stop on the hit parade will be back scratchers.

Jim Becker
11-08-2005, 6:58 PM
Those are very attractive, Andy. They really "glow", too!

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-08-2005, 8:32 PM
ANDY........................Those are simply ...........BODACIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

That means wonderful.

Bruce